Why we have a lot of different Webserver ? (1 Viewer)

IchBinsShort

Portal Pro
January 3, 2008
Home Country
Germany Germany
IWhy we have a lot of different WEbserver that provides the Information and Media ? I think it would be better if we have one Webserver and all the Plugins use this. Now there are a lot Plugins and Webservices (Ipimp, GmaService, Tv4Home, Wifiremote, ampdroid, XpTunes,Couchpotato etc.)

I think the Plugins are very good

for android you can use aMPdroid
for the Website you can use Ipimp
and for the Gaget you can use Xptunes
for the iphone cohupotato

But why can we have one Webservice that provides all the information for all the Plugins ? It think it would be better for the user and the developer. I hope the new MPextended will collect all the different Webservices in ones.

DieBagger

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 11, 2007
    Austria
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    IWhy we have a lot of different WEbserver that provides the Information and Media ? I think it would be better if we have one Webserver and all the Plugins use this. Now there are a lot Plugins and Webservices (Ipimp, GmaService, Tv4Home, Wifiremote, ampdroid, XpTunes,Couchpotato etc.)

I think the Plugins are very good

for android you can use aMPdroid
    for the Website you can use Ipimp
    and for the Gaget you can use Xptunes
    for the iphone cohupotato

But why can we have one Webservice that provides all the information for all the Plugins ? It think it would be better for the user and the developer. I hope the new MPextended will collect all the different Webservices in ones.

Well, MpExtended is a replacement for Tv4Home (the coreservice part at least) AND GmaWebservice. So basically with MpExtended you can:
    • Get all the media information (video, movie, music,...) -> previously Gma
    • Control your Tv (get channels, groups, start timeshift, etc) -> previously tv4home
    • Auto-Detect MediaPortal installations with ZeroConf (bonjour)
    • Start/Close MediaPortal remotely with the new tray application
    • STREAM all content (artwork, media, tv, tv recordings)
    • Configure the service from a settings GUI
    • Install all services/applications with a single installer

So regarding the backend, MpExtended is the way to go. WifiRemote has a slightly different scope as it runs as a MediaPortal plugin (only active when MediaPortal is running) and mainly provides a means to interact with a running MP instance. There are overlaps of course, but we're trying to keep them to a minimum.

Every developer is free to write and use his own backend of course, but imo MpExtended and WifiRemote are an excellent combination for a complete remote MP access.

IchBinsShort

Portal Pro
    January 3, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: Why we have a lot of different Webserver ?

Yes I think MpExtended would be very nice and I hope all the others Developers will use this and not develop or use another.

lodale

Portal Pro
    April 9, 2009
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Hi, I was looking at the WIKI for MP extender. The project looks promising, and the functions that this is aimed at are exactly what I have been missing with MediaPortal.:D
    Do the developers have any clue when this plugin will be availible as a beta?
    I would like to sign is as a tester for this, how do I apply?

Oxan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 29, 2009
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Well, to loop over the plugins and services you named:
    - iPiMP needs a webserver anyway as it's a website, so things won't change there.
    - GmaWebService and TV4Home are splitted to allow multiseat installations. With MPExtended there will be the possibility to use just one service/webserver for both services.
    - Wifiremote is totally different from the other services: it runs inside MediaPortal, while all other projects run outside MediaPortal. Hosting webservices in MP isn't desirable because of security, stability and usability reasons.
    - aMPdroid and CouchPotato run on your smartphone, so they don't have anything to do it at all.
    - I didn't hear of XPTunes until today, but it seems like it has implemented Wifiremote again.
    - MPWebServices is abandoned and not developed further, if it works with MP1.2 at all. It will be obsolete soon with the release of MPExtended and WebMediaPortal.

So there are basically only three different webservers, of which two will be merged. There's not much room for improvement at all.

If you've problems with the amount of processes, at least iPiMP, GMA and TV4Home can run under IIS. I personally don't see the problem with having them splitted, except for the harder installation. For GMA and TV4Home we've solved this in the new MPExtended project.

The current state of MPExtended is that the services are shaping up quite well and have a mostly stable API now, with most backends implemented (MyVideos being the exception). We and other people are working on the other applications, but at least for aMPdroid and WebMediaPortal I can say that they are in a pre-alpha stadium. When we need beta testers we'll open a thread here. Currently there isn't much an end-user can test.

Note that we're also around in #mp-extended on freenode most of the time, so if you're a developer and want help or you've any questions in general, you can also ask them there. I'll also update the wiki with the latest developments soon.

zicoz

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 3, 2006
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Will the streamer/transcoder work for DVD/Bluray folders or just for single video files?

Mike Lowrey

Portal Pro
    February 4, 2009
    Berlin
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Regarding more collaboration:

We already had a discussion(well 1 part of the devs) about collaborating but as far as i remember was cheezy no part of the discussion and gemx has no time for webservices anymore so nothing has been changed by the discussion.

Spooky

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 14, 2005
    void 4tl
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Well, MpExtended is a replacement for Tv4Home (the coreservice part at least) AND GmaWebservice. So basically with MpExtended you can:
    • Get all the media information (video, movie, music,...) -> previously Gma
    • Control your Tv (get channels, groups, start timeshift, etc) -> previously tv4home
    • Auto-Detect MediaPortal installations with ZeroConf (bonjour)
    • Start/Close MediaPortal remotely with the new tray application
    • STREAM all content (artwork, media, tv, tv recordings)
    • Configure the service from a settings GUI
    • Install all services/applications with a single installer

So regarding the backend, MpExtended is the way to go. WifiRemote has a slightly different scope as it runs as a MediaPortal plugin (only active when MediaPortal is running) and mainly provides a means to interact with a running MP instance. There are overlaps of course, but we're trying to keep them to a minimum.

Every developer is free to write and use his own backend of course, but imo MpExtended and WifiRemote are an excellent combination for a complete remote MP access.
    Do you also plan on making a web interface in order to be able to browse the EPG and schedule recordings? (Like MPWebInterface.) I.e., does 'WebMediaPortal' include that functionality?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom