Why we have a lot of different Webserver ? (1 Viewer)

Oxan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 29, 2009
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Do you also plan on making a web interface in order to be able to browse the EPG and schedule recordings? (Like MPWebInterface.) I.e., does 'WebMediaPortal' include that functionality?
    iirc it's not implemented yet, but it certainly will be.

Mike Lowrey

Portal Pro
    February 4, 2009
    Berlin
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    WebMediaPortal already supports browsing EPG(at the moment based on the current day but that's not hardcoded) and scheduling simple recordings.

Sinbe

Portal Pro
    December 12, 2007
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    I know this was already asked and the developers are probably doing everything they can in the time they have, but I'd too like to know when there will be a beta out for us to test. Now that MPWebServices no longer works at all, it would be nice to have a system to stream files and live tv from my htpc over the Internet without actually having to be on the htpc.

IchBinsShort

Portal Pro
    January 3, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: Re: Why we have a lot of different Webserver ?

Well, to loop over the plugins and services you named:
    - iPiMP needs a webserver anyway as it's a website, so things won't change there.
    - GmaWebService and TV4Home are splitted to allow multiseat installations. With MPExtended there will be the possibility to use just one service/webserver for both services.
    - Wifiremote is totally different from the other services: it runs inside MediaPortal, while all other projects run outside MediaPortal. Hosting webservices in MP isn't desirable because of security, stability and usability reasons.
    - aMPdroid and CouchPotato run on your smartphone, so they don't have anything to do it at all.
    - I didn't hear of XPTunes until today, but it seems like it has implemented Wifiremote again.
    - MPWebServices is abandoned and not developed further, if it works with MP1.2 at all. It will be obsolete soon with the release of MPExtended and WebMediaPortal.

So there are basically only three different webservers, of which two will be merged. There's not much room for improvement at all.

If you've problems with the amount of processes, at least iPiMP, GMA and TV4Home can run under IIS. I personally don't see the problem with having them splitted, except for the harder installation. For GMA and TV4Home we've solved this in the new MPExtended project.

The current state of MPExtended is that the services are shaping up quite well and have a mostly stable API now, with most backends implemented (MyVideos being the exception). We and other people are working on the other applications, but at least for aMPdroid and WebMediaPortal I can say that they are in a pre-alpha stadium. When we need beta testers we'll open a thread here. Currently there isn't much an end-user can test.

Note that we're also around in #mp-extended on freenode most of the time, so if you're a developer and want help or you've any questions in general, you can also ask them there. I'll also update the wiki with the latest developments soon.

Okay, I thought the Website IPIMP can use the new MPExtended, too. And need no extra Webserver. It is not possible. So we can't us MPExtended over a Website in the Future ? Because I think it would be nice if we can access MPExtened over Apps like AmPdroid, Couchpotato and a Website. So you can use it on the PC. And maybe an Gaget like XPTunes, this is very nice too.

Oxan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 29, 2009
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I know this was already asked and the developers are probably doing everything they can in the time they have, but I'd too like to know when there will be a beta out for us to test. Now that MPWebServices no longer works at all, it would be nice to have a system to stream files and live tv from my htpc over the Internet without actually having to be on the htpc.
    My original plan was end of October, but that was too optimistic according to the other devs. Personally I hope to have a beta somewhere mid-November, but I can't promise anything.

Okay, I thought the Website IPIMP can use the new MPExtended, too. And need no extra Webserver. It is not possible. So we can't us MPExtended over a Website in the Future ? Because I think it would be nice if we can access MPExtened over Apps like AmPdroid, Couchpotato and a Website. So you can use it on the PC. And maybe an Gaget like XPTunes, this is very nice too.
    Yes, you can use MPExtended over a website: WebMediaPortal. Gadgets like XPTunes are nice indeed, but as we're still only with 3 developers who all have time constraints we are focusing first on our current projects.

lodale

Portal Pro
    April 9, 2009
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Hi Oxan
    I don't want to nag, but is the MP extender development getting any progress?
    Can we expect a Beta soon?

rolls1400

Portal Pro
    August 26, 2007
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Oxan, just wondering the latest status on github. Is it stable enough that I could pull down and start digging into it?

Oxan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 29, 2009
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Yes. Beta release should come somewhere these days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom