Why won't anyone help me? (1 Viewer)

johnson636

Portal Member
February 3, 2006
I was able to import the channel guide :) But now I have different problems.

1. Channel order in program guide is all mixed up: 12, 24, 32, 135, etc. How do I get them to show: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and so on

2. The program times are off according to the tv guide on my TV. some channel show times are off by 1 hour and some are off by as many as 4 hours. the setup GMT was set to -6. I live in Shreveport, Louisiana (Central Time Zone) How do I fixe this

3. I'm still unable to veiw any channels on my PC. All I get is snow. Is this due to my channel times being off. Or could it be the fact that MP is assuming that my tuners are connected via wall cable coax and not S-video. I don't see an option within MP to specify how my tuners are getting their signal. my tuners are connected via S-video to my STB.

wishywashy

Portal Pro
January 31, 2005
Hill AFB, UT
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
wishywashy said:
Then open MP setup.
Uncheck use Timezone information and don't set a time zone offset in Media Portal. Under MP setup- TV- Channels click the import from tvguide button. Your channels should import. You'll have to edit each channel and tell MP that they belong to an external box.

The rest I have no clue, I don't use S-video.

onkl

Portal Pro
February 18, 2005
Wageningen
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
johnson636 said:
3. I'm still unable to veiw any channels on my PC. All I get is snow. Is this due to my channel times being off. Or could it be the fact that MP is assuming that my tuners are connected via wall cable coax and not S-video. I don't see an option within MP to specify how my tuners are getting their signal. my tuners are connected via S-video to my STB.
onkl said:
johnson636 said:
pvr-500 (which is connected via S-Video to my STB) Hauppauge a and b.
Just checking: STB = Set top box, your using digital TV which you feed into your PC via your PVR 500 card?
So, to change the channel in eg. Windows movie maker, you have to use the set-top box remote?

If this is true, ignore my post above.
I do not know how digital TV works, but you cannot use the autotune for the PVR card then. That's meant for analogue TV only.

Hi Johnson, please read this post carefully, because I think you where missing some important concepts about the use of MP and a STB.

Let's define "tuner". A tuner is the thing which will pick the video and audio of one TV channel from the data send over your coax cable or satellite. In your setup, your PVR 500 will not act as a tuner, but just as a TV-in. However, as a default, MP will indeed asume that if you use a PVR card, you use it as a TV card, not just for the video in.

So, what to do. First of all, lets explain MP that all your TV channels come from an external source. Go to the settings, TV channels. Select a channel and press edit. Now, somewhere in all these tabs, there should be something called external. That's the magic word that means the data for that channel comes from an external source, like your settop box. I don't have any experience, but try tweaking arround with the settings, while you'r sure that your settopbox is giving some signal (check in moviemaker for example.) Check if MP agrees on the settings by starting MP/My TV and watching the channel you just editted.

Now, once you got one channel up and running, you'll have to change the settings for all the channels. (There is no general setting since a lot of people use both a satelite tuner and cable coax, so the setting is per channel.)

Then the next problem: You can change a channel in MP, but your STB doesn't know. You'll also have to change the channel on the STB. No fun in that, so there are some solutions for that problem. They all involve some link between your PC and your STB (other than the s-video) to let your PC control your STB.
A nice start would be to read this tread. The Wiki is down for maintenance atm, so I can't look for you there. However there will undoubtably be some info there. Also, please post in this forum the exact brand and type of your settopbox and your remote control if you happen to have one.
In case of questions, just ask them.

johnson636

Portal Member
February 3, 2006
I finally can watch to on my pc YAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :D

Thanx wishywashy and onkl :D :D :D

Now I just have to get the guide to reflect what I'm actually watching. I'll have to watch until I get home from school.

WAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom