Wiki Style Guide (1 Viewer)

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Is there a Wiki Style Guide? I searched for one but did not find anything useful. In the "Getting Started" section on the following page:

MediaPortal Wiki - Getting Started - MediaPortal Wiki

there is a clickable link called "contribution guide", but it links to itself. :eek:

My specific question relates to the use of heading levels. I have just been updating the page called "Colors" in the "Skin Architecture" section. The page begins with an H1 for "Colors", which is followed by more H1 headings. That does not seem right. The "Colors" heading is like a chapter heading, so H1 is appropriate. But I would expect subsequent headings on the same page to be H2, or H3, or H4, ... (as appropriate). There is one H2 heading ("Examples"), but for consistency either that should be H1, or the other H1 tags should be H2 (apart from "Colors"). What is the MP Wiki convention for the use of heading levels? Thank you.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

high

Administrator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 31, 2004
    Isselburg/NRW
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    There's no updated guide for Confluence yet. I would suggest to consult the old guide to get some ideas, even if several pages are outdated because they refer to Mindtouch wiki: Contribute to Wiki - MediaPortal Wiki

For this specific page I would recommend to leave Overview as H1 and change the following 3 to H2 (Example is not a subelement of previous h2 so a h3 would not fit here). First h1 is just the page-tile and not shown in "Table of Contents" (if used on a page)

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I would suggest to consult the old guide to get some ideas,
    Thanks; I have read the guidelines and think that I have adhered to the style (mostly :unsure:).

For this specific page I would recommend to leave Overview as H1 and change the following 3 to H2 (Example is not a subelement of previous h2 so a h3 would not fit here).
    I have had a look at some other pages in the "Skin Architecture" section, and the style seems to be to use H1 tags within the page (contrary to my expectation). So I have done the following:

(1) On the "Colors" page, the sections after "Overview" are not really sub-sections of "Overview", so I have left them as H1.

(2) I agree with your point about the "Examples" section, so I have changed that from H2 to H1.

(3) I decided to separate some text into a sub-section of its own, and have introduced an H2 for that.

I hope that you are happy with this? Once I am familiar with MP conventions, there won't be so many questions! :D

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

rsbrux

Documentation Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 15, 2007
    Home Country
    Switzerland Switzerland
    I have long been conspicuous by my absence, but would like to start contributing again. I have little experience with Confluence and would be grateful for a little guidance. I have searched in vain for any kind of guide; the link to a contribution guide mentioend in the 2nd post yields a 404 error. Where can I find:
    • general help for Confluence
    • a guide to conventions for the MP Wiki

rsbrux

Documentation Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 15, 2007
    Home Country
    Switzerland Switzerland
    Meanwhile I have found this, which seems to answer the second request above (a guide to conventions for the MP Wiki).
    However, I am still lost on help for Confluence. I am not yet up to speed on it and find it counterintuitive. When I try to edit a page, what I can find to edit is usually only the introductory paragraph. The remaining content is evidently provided by an "included content" macro. A case in point is this page. How can I find out where "included content" come from and edit it? Where can I find a Confluence manual?
    P.S. Having logged in to the Wiki to try and edit the above-mentioned page, I can't even find a way to log out! Help!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom