Will Media Portal run on Windows XP MCE? (1 Viewer)

gust0208

May 29, 2006
Hello everyone,

I read through the FAQ, but it did not specifically state if MP will run on Windows XP MCE. As far as I understand, MCE is based on XP Pro and should have SP2 as part of the package. I love the way MP does its thing and want to try it out as a replacement for my MCE interface.

Cheers,
Tom

MacMini

Portal Pro
May 16, 2006
That's what I run it on.

If you want to be able to press the Green Button and have it start MP instead of MCE, you will have to disable ehTray (use something like WinPatrol) and install MPTray.

With the exception of Shares and the lack of Closed Captions support, I like MP better (among other things, you can actually navigate DIVX files, which MCE refuses to support:)

gust0208

May 29, 2006
Thanks!

Thanks everyone for the fast reply! That is great news that MP will run on MCE without a hitch. Now that I figured out how to get my EGP working and timed correctly with MP, I want to try it out as my main interface.

On the addition to the FAQ, it states that MP will automatically stop all necessary MCE services when installed. If MP is uninstalled, will it resume those services? I don't want to get myself in trouble while experimenting.

Cheers and kudos for a great app.
- Tom

Callifo

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 7, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    Home Country
    It only stops the services while MP is running so it is unnecessary to unistall it; the services will start again themselves.

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Re: Thanks!

gust0208 said:
    On the addition to the FAQ, it states that MP will automatically stop all necessary MCE services when installed. If MP is uninstalled, will it resume those services?
    not when its installed, when its started.

gust0208

May 29, 2006
    Re: Thanks!

Ah, got you. That is also fantastic! (use that word quite a bit while working with MP). Thanks for helping a newbie and your work with this great OS project.

Cheers,
    Tom

infinityloop said:
    gust0208 said:
    On the addition to the FAQ, it states that MP will automatically stop all necessary MCE services when installed. If MP is uninstalled, will it resume those services?
    not when its installed, when its started.

xxxomxxx

Portal Member
    January 8, 2005
    Zurich, Siwtzerland
    MacMini said:
    That's what I run it on.

If you want to be able to press the Green Button and have it start MP instead of MCE, you will have to disable ehTray (use something like WinPatrol) and install MPTray.

i did not have to deactivate ehTray, MPtray worked right "out of the box"

otherwise i am running MP on MCE with

iBase Industrial 945GM Mohterboard
    1,6Ghz intel Core Duo (new Intel Mobile)
    1GB DDR2 4200
    WinTV 150 PVR MCE
    MCE Remote
    WebEPG
    19" Touchscreen

works like a dream

just waiting for a Dreambox Plugin, that would be so awesome 8) , i know there once was one in dev, but i never heard of it since, sry for going off topic :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom