Will MP runs faster/smoother with DX9 card? (1 Viewer)

Rybber

Portal Pro
October 26, 2004
Denmark
Hi

I'm currently using a passively cooled Asus ATI 9200SE GFX card to run MP. It only supports DX8, but things seem to run ok. However, entering/browsing MyTv (VMR9) seems to cause some delays trying to initialize video playback.

Will this be remedied if I got a DX9 capable card?

(can you suggest any good passively cooled cards ATI/nVidia??)

Tech Geek

Portal Pro
January 29, 2006
Denver, CO USA
ATi added DirectX 9 support in software for the 92xx series cards.
A true DX 9 card is faster but I can't be sure your delay would go away. There may be another cause. I have all kinds of issues with MyTV and I have a DX9 card.

Callifo

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 7, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    Home Country
    I went from a 9250 to a 6200, and did not notice any real improvement so to speak (it probably dropped 5% or so when playing back SDTV) but I really only did it for the extra connectivity the 6200 had.

hwahrmann

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • September 15, 2004
    Vienna, Austria
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    i had a DX8 card the Matrix G series and stumbled in various errors. Mp crashing etc., which at first i didn't consider of being a problem with the card.
    As soon as i replaced the Matrox card with a DX9 compatible card, ALL my problems were gone.
    Have a Passive Saphire with a Radeon 9200 and 128MB. Got it for Euro 50,-- about 8 month ago.
    I'm sure that there are now much more better passive cards on the market, but just wanted to assure you, that you should get a DX9 card for a resonable price.
    At the end of the day it is worth the money, instead of getting mad for hours.

Rybber

Portal Pro
    October 26, 2004
    Denmark
    Thanks guys.

I see now that nVidia has purevideo and ATI their own variant. Is is possible to use with a low end card, and which one should I select?

Tech Geek

Portal Pro
    January 29, 2006
    Denver, CO USA
    Rybber said:
    Thanks guys.

I see now that nVidia has purevideo and ATI their own variant. Is is possible to use with a low end card, and which one should I select?

Purevideo and Avivo are only on the more recent chipsets.
    It depends on what you consider to be low end.
    Is over $80 low end?

Rybber

Portal Pro
    October 26, 2004
    Denmark
    I just checked, MP with TV on (VMR9) used 30% CPU, and 0-11% playing a movie in VMR7

So, maybe I should get a DX9 compatible card - will it lower the CPU usage and maybe inprove MP speed?

I checked some prices, and a resonable DX9 card could include a ATI 9250 or Geforce 6200 GPU - what should I go for then?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom