Win7: MP Installer doesn't recognize the new DirectX (1 Viewer)

cashel

Portal Member
May 9, 2006
Ocala, FL USA
just install directx 9 and everything will be fine. I'm running MP on Win7 X64 without a hitch.

mrkaras

Portal Pro
December 9, 2006
Home Country
so pritty much, it is not an issue that it now doesn't work were it uesd to and it is because MP is ilegaly distributing DX files rather thatn doing it the right way, (ditributing all of DX rather than overiting files with alternate, potentialy less comptable versions) where no problems would be caused.

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    so pritty much, it is not an issue that it now doesn't work were it uesd to and it is because MP is ilegaly distributing DX files rather thatn doing it the right way, (ditributing all of DX rather than overiting files with alternate, potentialy less comptable versions) where no problems would be caused.

Hi,

MP cannot distribute directx files as far as I know. What it does now is the correct thing. The installer determines if directx is installed, and if it is not, then it downloads and installs it. Please don't state that MP is illegally distributing DX files. This is not correct.

It isn't an issue that the installer checks for supported OS and doesn't install on unsupported systems. This is a reasonable thing to do.

Please don't take my comments as an official statement. I'm a tester, not a team member.

Anyway, I don't think this discussion is going anywhere. The team will support windows 7 when they have time/opportunity to test properly and make sure everything works. Some users want that support right now. Deadlock!

Mark

heikoh

Portal Pro
    September 5, 2007
    @eliottmc:
    You are absolutely right.
    Unsupported is unsupported.

However, installing that Direct X 9 runtime as suggested by cashel did the trick for me,
    so thank you for your support on an unsupported system anyway :) :)

Heiko

mrkaras

Portal Pro
    December 9, 2006
    Home Country

Hi,

MP cannot distribute directx files as far as I know. What it does now is the correct thing. The installer determines if directx is installed, and if it is not, then it downloads and installs it. Please don't state that MP is illegally distributing DX files. This is not correct.

It isn't an issue that the installer checks for supported OS and doesn't install on unsupported systems. This is a reasonable thing to do.

Please don't take my comments as an official statement. I'm a tester, not a team member.

Anyway, I don't think this discussion is going anywhere. The team will support windows 7 when they have time/opportunity to test properly and make sure everything works. Some users want that support right now. Deadlock!

Mark

I'm sorry if that is not the case, I were baseing this on the statment made a few posts earlier by tourettes stating "we were distributing some DirectX DLL files with 1.0.0 installer (which we aren't allowed to distribute)", I thought that indicated that the 1.0.0.0 installer was distributing some DirectX files which you aren't allowed to distribuite. and also from a previous post eleswher I asked why the installer insisted on installing directx every time and I were told it did not install directx but just a few directx files.

I do however agree that at this time win7 need not be a surported OS, as its not yet realeased but day 1 of realease it should work as ther has been ample time and willing testers, failures up untill that time should be expected but should be treated as that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom