[no Bug] Win8.1 Firewall Rules Not Set Properly (1 Viewer)

ChairmanMao

January 21, 2014
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
MediaPortal Version: 1.6.0

Description
A clean install of MP1.6 on Win8.1 (64 bit) did not set the firewall rules properly. Specifically, port 31456 was not configured correctly. This manifested as not being able to access the TV Guide (an error message citing the port is generated).

Creating a bat file from the firewall settings in the wiki (http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_MEDIAPORTAL_1/11_Preparing_Your_System/Firewall_Settings) and executing it as administrator solved the problem.

Steps to Reproduce:
Install and configure MP1.6
Install and configure ScheduleDirect plugin
Try to access TV Guide

Last edited by a moderator:

HomeY

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 23, 2008
    ::1
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Hi ChairmanMao,

Specifically, port 31456 was not configured correctly.
    MediaPortal doesn't need this port open, unless you are trying to reach your SQL Server from ANOTHER network (like the internet).
    For MySQL you would only need port 3306 open.

ChairmanMao

January 21, 2014
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I don't believe that's the case, for several reasons. That specific port was mentioned in the error message I got, and I was unable to access the Guide after the message was displayed. Yet after creating and running the firewall script -- which includes doing something to that port -- the error message went away and I was able to access the Guide.

When I posted this as a question elsewhere in the forum I got back a reply about how that port needs to be configured in the firewall, even on a single seat setup like mine, because MP uses NET Remoting. You can read that conversation at https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/single-seat-firewall-problem-tv-service.124211/.

HomeY

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 23, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Thread set to 'Bug' and added to JIRA:
    https://issues.team-mediaportal.com/browse/MP1-4367

OK, need to correct something here.Thread set to 'No Bug' and deleted the bugtracker issue, since the DeployTool adds the 'TvService.exe' to the Firewall settings. I only had a quick look @ my Inbound Rules, so missed this port, which is obviously integrated (together with port 554) in the service..
    This has been tested on a clean Win 8.1 VM (TNX Seb!)

Last edited:

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Jeroen, while I agree with what you've done, I think we still have a loose end: how did it come to be that ChairmanMao did not have the exceptions? Was it just that he didn't run the installer as admin?
    I'm thinking back to situations in the past where we had issues with firewall exceptions not being created causing issues with streaming in multi-seat environments. The client wasn't able to receive the stream data. I spent quite a lot of time investigating but was never able to find a problem. Wondering if the "install as admin" was the problem there too... and if that is/was the case, wondering if we can force the installer to require admin privileges.

HomeY

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 23, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    how did it come to be that ChairmanMao did not have the exceptions? Was it just that he didn't run the installer as admin?
    That's indeed a good question. All i know is that admin privileges are handled by the installer (tested it again with non-admin user on clean VM). The non-admin user needs to enter an admin pass twice during install (to run installer & to enabled features). So that means that we can assume that the install is handled with the appropriate admin rights. Maybe a hiccup in the install...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom