Windows 10 and HTPC appearance (1 Viewer)

badboyxx

Portal Pro
June 15, 2012
Home Country
Germany Germany
Hello guys,

I have moved to Windows 10 since a few months. Everything works fine so far. What bothers me is that the interface doesn't look like a HTPC. What possibilities do I have to change the skin? Change WIndows boot logo, turn off login screen, starting MP quicker (takes a few seconds to load, although in autostart)...
I would be very grateful if somebody could call some useful programs, workarounds, Windows options or whatever.
As I used Windows 7, MP started quickly and I could changed the above mentioned Windows Interface. Now it seems that Windows 10 has changed the internal function and it is not possible to change these points so easily.
I'm using Windows 10 Pro x64 and latest MP.

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Did nobody do any visual changes?
    Doesn't seem too popular here but iIf you google "change win 10 boot logo" and "disable Win 10 lock screen" you should be presented with several possibilities to do both. You can also choose a photo or image of your choice for both the desktop background and lockscreen in settings.

badboyxx

Portal Pro
    June 15, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I found already an app for boot logo and login screen but it didn't work for my Windows version.

cbr954rr

Portal Pro
    October 31, 2016
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Did nobody do any visual changes?

For what???

My Pc restarts when I am not at home.

The only thing what I find disturbing is that MP loose focus if it goes to sleep. All what you have to do is a auto-login to prevent a login screen, google win10 and auto logon. The loose of focus is more a problem as your customisations, if MP never loose focus you do not need your "nice to have system
    customisations".

For your changes, you should read more about regedit on google or study the manual of your mainbord to define a boot logo. Maybe photoshop helps if you known your registry and your bios.

Last edited:

badboyxx

Portal Pro
    June 15, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    All what you have to do is a auto-login to prevent a login screen, google win10 and auto logon.

I have already done that. The auto-login works but the login screen is still visible.

For your changes, you should read more about regedit on google or study the manual of your mainbord to define a boot logo. Maybe photoshop helps if you known your registry and your bios.

Ok, I will take a look.

It would be great to modify it so far that the Windows look is no more noticable.
    Also MP takes about 10 sec. to load after Windows start. Can anybody confirm that behaviour?

bta489

Portal Pro
    March 17, 2013
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Also MP takes about 10 sec. to load after Windows start. Can anybody confirm that behaviour?

That seems about right. I also see the desktop for a bit after booting on Windows 10, whereas Win7 almost immediately shows the MP splashscreen after login. I believe Microsoft changed the order when Windows loads stuff in Windows 10, so there is little to be done to change this, I guess.

You could set the desktop wallpaper and boot/lockscreen to the same image as the MP splashscreen to unify the look. Maybe delete all icons from desktop and set taskbar to autohide. You would see the username when logging in. To the casual obeserver, however, it may just look like merely seperate stages of the same splashscreen.

cbr954rr

Portal Pro
    October 31, 2016
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    That seems about right. I also see the desktop for a bit after booting on Windows 10, whereas Win7 almost immediately shows the MP splashscreen after login. I believe Microsoft changed the order when Windows loads stuff in Windows 10, so there is little to be done to change this, I guess.

You could set the desktop wallpaper and boot/lockscreen to the same image as the MP splashscreen to unify the look. Maybe delete all icons from desktop and set taskbar to autohide. You would see the username when logging in. To the casual obeserver, however, it may just look like merely seperate stages of the same splashscreen.

Yes, because Windows start all system services at first, like network, etc. this takes a time. MP2-Server is a service, but needs other services, like the network service or mysql in some cases. MP2 self is a autostart programm and these starts at first when all services are started. In my case I see now difference between Win 7 or win 10. Changing the registry like above can end in a error on starting MP if not all needed services started.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom