Windows 10 PC blows up after installation and restart (1 Viewer)

jamanga

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 1, 2008
    Home Country
    Hi everyone

I purchased this mini PC: https://www.kogan.com/au/buy/kogan-atlas-z310-i3-mini-pc-windows-10/ and have installed the mediaportal 1 (ver 1.29)

Following installation and system restart, the OS basically blows up. I see the windows startup page and rotating dots, but it then ends up as a black screen and doesn't log back into windows. It seems to be a known issue, as the company I purchased from has created this page: https://help.kogan.com/hc/en-us/art...ptops-Windows-10-Black-or-Blank-Screen-Errors . The "fix" as per the article, for me required a complete windows reset. I then tried once more, but had exactly the same problem.

I am just wondering if anyone has any tips to mention to the manufacturer or similar experience?

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I am just wondering if anyone has any tips to mention to the manufacturer or similar experience?
    I tried the link you posted but I just got a blank page with the text "Nothing Found" so difficult to comment beyond saying that MP 1.29 definitely works problem free with Windows 10.

jamanga

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 1, 2008
    Home Country
    Hi joecrow

Thanks for the response, sorry about the links (they work for me) - perhaps they are blocked outside of Australia. The first link describes the product:

Kogan Atlas Z310 i3 Mini PC with Windows 10​

Though small in size, this mini PC packs serious performance with 4GB RAM and 128GB of storage, so you can work harder, game smoother and enjoy a seamless set-up no matter where you are.
    • Built-in powerful Intel i3 processor
    • Intel HD Graphics 5500
    • Pre-installed Microsoft Windows 10 Home (S mode)
    • 4GB RAM with 128GB SSD Storage
    • Expand your storage with a M.2 SSD slot
    • 2.4/5GHz Dual Band Wi-Fi AC and Bluetooth
    • 2 x USB 2.0, 2 x USB 3.0 Ports and 2 x HDMI inputs
    • 1 x USB Type-C port
    I wonder if the "s-mode" Windows might have something to do with it - although it shouldn't. The mini PC let me install mediaportal without issue.

The 2nd link is as follows, and seems to me to indicate this may be a not so uncommon problem:

ATLAS LAPTOPS - WINDOWS 10 BLACK OR BLANK SCREEN ERRORS​

This page provides some troubleshooting advice for resolving issues with Windows laptops when, after being turned on, the unit does not start correctly and displays only a black or blank screen.
    Typically, the screen's backlight and power LED will be illuminated and the device will make noises that indicate it is turned on. However, the screen will remain black or blank and Windows will not start.
    Problems of this nature are generally caused by either an issue with Windows or a hardware fault.
    If you encounter a problem of this nature, the following troubleshooting suggestions may help to identify the cause of the problem and correct the issue.
    1. Check that your screen's brightness settings are set correctly. Try turning up the brightness.
    2. Perform a power reset on the unit:
      • Turn the laptop off completely and disconnect any external devices and cables, including the charger.
      • Leave the unit disconnected and turned off for 10-20 minutes.
      • Press and hold down the power button for at least 20 seconds.
      • Reconnect the unit to a power supply and attempt to start it as normal.
    3. Refresh the laptop during startup by pressing and holding Windows + Ctrl + Shift + B while the blank screen is visible, and wait until the laptop refreshes.
    4. Boot up the laptop several times. Repeated failures to boot may trigger Windows Startup Repair to launch, which can be used to correct any potential issues with Windows:
      • When Windows Startup Repair launches, select 'Restart' to try to fix the issue.
      • If this does not work, launch Windows Startup repair again, select 'Advanced options' > 'System Restore'.
    5. Attempt to start the laptop in Safe Mode:
      • Turn off the laptop.
      • Turn the laptop back on, then as soon as it shows any sign that it is starting up, press and hold the power button until it turns off again.
      • Turn the laptop on again, then again press and hold the power button until the laptop turns off.
      • Turn the laptop on once again and wait for it to restart. The laptop should now launch Windows Repair, which you can use to boot the laptop in Safe Mode.
      • On the 'Choose an option' screen, select 'Troubleshoot' > 'Advanced options' > 'Startup settings' > 'Restart'.
      • The laptop will show a list of options after restarting. Select option 5 to launch in Safe Mode, or press F5 to launch in Safe Mode with Networking, which allows you to access the network drivers needed to connect to the Internet.
      • To exit Safe Mode after startup, restart the laptop.
    6. Attempt to reinstall Windows 10 by creating a recovery drive using a working PC and a blank USB with at least 8GB of storage:
      • Connect a blank USB drive to a working PC to use as your recovery drive.
      • On your working PC, navigate to Microsoft's website here.
      • In the section titled 'Create Windows 10 installation media', click 'Download tool now' to download the Windows 10 media creation tool.
      • Run this tool after it has downloaded and follow the prompts.
      • When asked 'What do you want to do?', select 'Create installation media for another PC'.
      • Enter your language, edition and architecture (32-bit or 64-bit). Newer models of Atlas laptops typically use a 64-bit version of Windows 10; however, the architecture you should use will depend on your particular unit.
      • When prompted to select which media you wish to use, select 'USB flash drive'.
      • Follow any remaining prompts to complete the creation of your recovery drive.
      • To use the recovery drive, connect the USB drive to the non-working laptop and then turn it on.
      • You should be prompted to set up your laptop. When prompted, select 'Repair your computer' > 'Troubleshoot' > 'Advanced options' > 'Recover from a drive' to reinstall Windows 10 from the recovery drive.
    7. Microsoft has provided some further troubleshooting instructions for black/blank screen errors, which you can view here.
    If the troubleshooting suggestions above do not correct the issue, there may be a problem with your laptop's hardware, in which case the unit may need to be assessed by a technician for repair.
    For further assistance with your laptop, please do not hesitate to contact our Customer Care Team through your account dashboard. We will be happy to help.

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Thanks for the response, sorry about the links (they work for me) - perhaps they are blocked outside of Australia. The first link describes the product:
    Strange the link for the product description works fine it is "Black screen" one that comes up with nothing found.
    Thanks for copying the trouble shooting info. which looks pretty much standard for that type of problem where did you get to with that? Were you able to start up in safe mode with MP installed?
    Win 10 is really quite solid and usually will boot up in repair mode after multiple boot failures but it may be it has booted OK but the graphics are turned off for some reason, when you say it does not log in how can you tell?

jamanga

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 1, 2008
    Home Country
    Hi joecrow

Thanks for the reply, tomorrow I'm resetting and reinstalling again. Finger-crossed it remains ok. If not, I will try booting under safe mode and let you know.

Oh and in response to "when you say it does not log in how can you tell?" it start the windows loading rolling dots animation then gets to a certain point (maybe 10 seconds later) when all I see is a blank screen. The power light remains on, but I can't do anything except reset the Pc again.

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Oh and in response to "when you say it does not log in how can you tell?" it start the windows loading rolling dots animation then gets to a certain point (maybe 10 seconds later) when all I see is a blank screen. The power light remains on, but I can't do anything except reset the Pc again.
    OK understood, sorry I had got the impression from the first post that you had auto-login enabled.

jamanga

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 1, 2008
    Home Country
    Hi joecrow

Yep it did auto-login normally, but after the mediaportal install it just never got to that point. I reset the windows again and re-set it up today.

This is the 3rd reset so I'm not confident, but the difference this time is perhaps that I was careful to install one thing at a time, and restart a lot.. the difference in login this time is that it still starts the rotating dots during startup for around 10 seconds... then the screen flashes for a second (which didn't happen before, it just stopped) then restarts the rotating dots for maybe another 3 seconds... then I get to the login/pin code screen. And so far, all good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom