Windows 2008 R2 users only - What DVB-T tuner do you use? (1 Viewer)

mayday175

Portal Member
April 19, 2008
Question: Windows Server 2008 R2 (x64) users only... What DVB-T Tuner do you use?

Scenario: I would like to migrate my MediaPortal TvServer from the HTPC in the lounge room to a HP Proliant DL380 G4 server in a cupboard. Since the server is on all the time, I'd like to save power by running the HTPC as a MP client only when needed. The HTPC has a pair of Hauppauge Nova-T-500 PCI Dual tuners. I have installed the BDA drivers/filters as per limpwhizkid's post here and other Win2008Workstation.com/forum threads.

Problem 1: The Nova-T-500 cards physically install in the server ok, Win7x64 drivers install ok. TvServer & ScanChannelsBDA do not detect any channels on any of the tuners. Obviously there's something wrong, so started a thread on Hauppauge's support forum here, then I bought another PCI tuner to test with...

Problem 2: The new PCI TV tuner didn't fit in the PCI slot. I've found out that it is a 5v PCI card, while my server has 3.3v PCI slots. The Hauppauge cards, by co-incidence, are universal... so they will fit into either 5v or 3.3v PCI slots. See PCI specs here. So I bought a USB tuner to test with...

More information: The USB tuner appears to be working just fine... all the channels I expect to see are found successfully. But I would prefer internal PCI TV tuners... so this leads me back to my original question. I am not seeking support for MediaPortal, TvServer, Win2008R2 (yes, I know it is not supported), BDA, or any other software issue. Simply, what TV tuner do you use with Server 2008 R2 (so I know it will work and I ovoid "Problem 1" again)? Further, is it PCI? Where are the key notches/cutouts for 5v/3.3v/universal (so I know it will fit and I ovoid "Problem 2" again)? Have you experienced any issues with your tuner that I should be aware of?

Thanks heaps for your feedback :)

mayday175

Portal Member
April 19, 2008
The Leadtek DTV2000DS looks promising (product images shows it has universal voltage keys). It is also identical to a Kworld PC160-2T, which I read somewhere is a clone of the Leadtek (or vice-versa). Does anyone have experience with these cards?

Edit: limpwhizkid, thanks for the feedback... but I don't have firewire. Thanks for the 2008R2 install instructions too. Very helpful :)

mayday175

Portal Member
April 19, 2008
Just in case anyone finds this info of use... I bought a Leadtek DTV2000DS and can confirm that it works perfectly. I also have a MyGica T803 (USB) that works fine too. Now that I have 4 working tuners, time to put my new TVserver into production... :D

dazzle

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 26, 2007
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Hi,

I'm using a Hauppauge Nova-T stick - single tuner. It working just fine. I have been looking for this nice Quad card:

BGT3650 - BlackGold

But I will have to double check my PCI slot voltage rating before I buy one I guess :D

My server is by the way a HP Proliant DL185 G5 Quad Opteron. So my setup is quite similar to yours.

-Brian

mayday175

Portal Member
    April 19, 2008
    Hi,

I'm using a Hauppauge Nova-T stick - single tuner. It working just fine. I have been looking for this nice Quad card:

BGT3650 - BlackGold

But I will have to double check my PCI slot voltage rating before I buy one I guess :D

My server is by the way a HP Proliant DL185 G5 Quad Opteron. So my setup is quite similar to yours.

-Brian

Thanks for the feedback. That tuner card reminds me of the DigitalNow Quad tuner... unfortunately they are both PCI-E, so not suitable for my current situation. Maybe if I get an upgraded server, with PCI-E slots (and pass it thru ESXi to a TVServer VM :D ). Also, PCI-E shouldn't have the same 3.3v/5v PCI issue came across.

dazzle

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 26, 2007
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Hi,

Yes that would be a nice solution. Actually I ended up with a different card because I wanted to be able to decrypt TV channels. And the only solution which is compatible with my TV provider is a TV-tuner and CI module from the same manufacturer. I choose the german Digital Devices:

DVB-C -T - Digital Devices Distribution UG (haftungsbeschränkt)

And the CI module card:

CI Modul - Digital Devices Distribution UG (haftungsbeschränkt)

This tuner is a dual tuner capable of both DVB-T and DVB-C.

It is though also a PCI-E card.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom