Operating System Windows 7 - DPC Latency Spikes (1 Viewer)

mylle

Portal Pro
April 14, 2005
Denmark
Home Country
Denmark Denmark
I totally agree with Tourettes on this. I am however running 4 virtual machines with Virtualbox on my backend tvserver with no issues so its definately possible.

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    I totally agree with Tourettes on this. I am however running 4 virtual machines with Virtualbox on my backend tvserver with no issues so its definately possible.

Backend... that is much less critical for the timing than the actual client which is handling the media playback.

doveman

Portal Pro
    February 12, 2008
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    This is a flippin nightmare. It was OK for a while after I uninstalled Outpost and installed Comodo, but now I've installed VMware it's worse than ever.

If I disable the two NICs VMware installs, it's OK again, so it's definitely that.

Just an advice - do not try to use HTPC for anything else than media playback. VMWare has no function in HTPC if you are after quality playback.

I'm afraid I just don't see it as practical to spend several hundred pounds building a PC and then only use it for HTPC. I'm sure there's dedicated boxes that are cheaper, smaller and use less power but the advantage of a HTPC to me is being able to use it for other stuff. If I was using a £25 Rasberry PI I wouldn't mind, but I'm not.

I actually see Virtualbox/VMWare (apart from this latency issue with VMware) as beneficial, as it means I can install most non-HTPC related stuff in the virtual machine, avoiding the risk of it interfering with the HTPC software or overwriting some essential file with an incompatible version.

Yeah, I've not noticed any latency problems with Virtualbox (I can't play any online video in my XP guest though, which is why I installed VMware). I just can't believe that software like VMware (and Outpost Security Suite) gets released in a state where it causes latency issues, which isn't just a problem for MediaPortal users.

doveman

Portal Pro
    February 12, 2008
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Well I uninstalled VMware and rebooted. The high execution times I'm still seeing with ndis.sys and netbt.sys seem to be caused by Iron Portable (although I don't know why it wasn't causing them previously) but don't seem to make the latency unacceptably high, so I'm not too worried about those. However, when starting TV the first time after loading MP, ataport.sys spiked as you can see in the first attached screenshot but still the latency was acceptable.

However, after watching LiveTV and Recorded TV for several hours I've just looked at LatencyMon again and see that the latency has spiked unacceptably high.

Attachments

• LatencyMon (Drivers, after uninstalling VMware, spike starting TV).png
      LatencyMon (Drivers, after uninstalling VMware, spike starting TV).png
      88.7 KB
    • LatencyMon (after uninstalling VMware, spike starting TV).png
      LatencyMon (after uninstalling VMware, spike starting TV).png
      113.1 KB
    • LatencyMon (Drivers, after uninstalling VMware).png
      LatencyMon (Drivers, after uninstalling VMware).png
      80.8 KB
    • LatencyMon (Main, after uninstalling VMware).png
      LatencyMon (Main, after uninstalling VMware).png