Operating System Windows 7 - Not Hibernating (1 Viewer)

doveman

Portal Pro
February 12, 2008
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I'm trying to use Windows 7's Power Options to Hibernate my PC after x minutes. I don't want to use MP/Powerscheduler, because I use the PC for lots of other things, so I've disabled the standby option in Powerscheduler.

Power Options are set to Never for both "Turn off the Display" and "Put the Computer to Sleep". Changing the latter just changes the "Sleep After" setting under Advanced Settings and I only want it to Hibernate, not sleep. "Hibernate After" is set to 60 minutes.

I tried shutting down Windows Gadgets and Yahoo Widgets in case they were preventing hibernation, but that didn't make any difference.

I've attached the output from Powercfg -energy in case anyone can see the problem from that. I've had to rename it to upload it, so just change the .zip to .html to open it.

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    Power Options are set to Never for both "Turn off the Display" and "Put the Computer to Sleep

Then it will never turn off with those settings, you need 60 minutes in "put the computer to sleep, as long as hibernate is set as preferred choice of sleep it should now work.

doveman

Portal Pro
    February 12, 2008
    Home Country
    Thanks, but as I said, if I change the "Put the Computer to Sleep" setting from Never to x minutes, this changes the setting under Advanced Settings "Sleep After" to x minutes, so I imagine it will go into Sleep/Standby mode after this time and not Hibernate.

If I then try changing the "Sleep After" to 0 minutes, it changes "Put the Computer to Sleep" back to Never, or if I change it to 120 minutes and Hibernate to 60 minutes, it changes the "Put the Computer to Sleep" setting to 2 hours, so I can't win!

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    Out of curiosity, why hibernate rather than sleep ?

(my Dell takes the same amount of power - approx 1-2W - in both modes, and hybrid sleep combines the best of both - fast resume with a backup hibernation file in case of power loss while asleep).

Tony

doveman

Portal Pro
    February 12, 2008
    Home Country
    Only because this stupid Biostar motherboard resets when resuming from standby when the FSB is overclocked at all.

I'm going to replace it sometime, at which point I'll probably use Standby mostly, but for now I can only use Hibernate (or not overclock the FSB, but I need to overclock for gaming and the CPU is multiplier locked).

doveman

Portal Pro
    February 12, 2008
    Home Country
    I've reset the FSB to 200 now and Standby works, but my PC still doesn't ever go to Standby/Hibernate automatically. TV Server PowerScheduler has "force system to go to standby when idle" disabled and the MP plugin is disabled, so Windows should be controlling Standby.

The power settings are set to Put the Computer to Sleep after 1 hour and the Advanced settings are:
    Sleep after: 60 mins
    Allow hybrid sleep: On
    Hibernate after: 120 mins

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom