Windows 8.1 doesn't jump to Desktop mode when started on Metro UI (1 Viewer)

red5goahead

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 24, 2007
    Italy, North West
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    is it true the news someone told me that in windows 8 there is not anymore the limit (stuttering) when two monitor/device are configurated with different refresh rates? and so I could configure MP to the extended monitor (the TV) without the Windows 7's cap?
    I can't guarantee it'll work flawless for you, but i do have Win 8.1 installed here.
    2 monitors: left runs @ 60Hz, right @ 50Hz (I live in PAL country) and i haven't seen stuttering while testing.
    Best to try it yourself, but can't really imagine why it would be a problem. You can configure the startup screen in MP Config.

I installed Windows 8.1 yesterday. No problem with 24P , 23,976 Hz. refresh rate on tv plasma (monitor 1 , secondary) and 60 HZ (lcd, monitor 2 , primary) , there was no stuttering or tearing using MP on secondary, but there is an issue with 50 HZ vs 60 HZ. it stutter . Il'try with 50 Vs 75 Hz. later.

there is an issue with Windows 8.1. If a pin media portal on start page I've no problem, media portal starts in desktop mode, also if I start it from desktop but I use LM remote keymap to start MP with a script to handle the monitors, switch them enter MP and back on exit and handle the audio card to switch by code from a device to an another (speaker & digital output, do you know ssd audio switcher? http://funk.eu/ssd/ it work fine).
    So the problem is that: I'm on start page, MP start but I'm in metro interface/start page, when I start, MP don't switch to desktop mode. It would be fine an option to force desktop mode

HomeY

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 23, 2008
    ::1
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    So the problem is that: I'm on start page, MP start but I'm in metro interface/start page, when I start, MP don't switch to desktop mode. It would be fine an option to force desktop mode
    You mean you start MP with the shortcut from the Metro UI?
    That also works fine here, MP starts on desktop mode.

red5goahead

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 24, 2007
    Italy, North West
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    You mean you start MP with the shortcut from the Metro UI?
    That also works fine here, MP starts on desktop mode.

Yes, through Metro UI pinned shortcurt there is no problem, but if I start Media Portal from LM Remote and the Metro UI is on the foreground it don't working proper because MP start in the background. I didn't tried using MP Tray utility.

HomeY

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 23, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    but if I start Media Portal from LM Remote and the Metro UI is on the foreground it don't working proper because MP start in the background.
    You can't navigate on the Metro interface with your remote?
    If you can get your remote to work in windows (like an MCE remote, i have a Harmony One), then you can simply click on the Tile with the remote.
    As an alternative you could make Windows start to desktop (unless you prefer the Metro UI for other things).

Last edited:

red5goahead

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 24, 2007
    Italy, North West
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    but if I start Media Portal from LM Remote and the Metro UI is on the foreground it don't working proper because MP start in the background.
    You can't navigate on the Metro interface with your remote?
    If you can get your remote to work in windows (like an MCE remote, i have a Harmony One), then you can simply click on the Tile with the remote.
    As an alternative you could make Windows start to desktop (unless you prefer the Metro UI for other things).

I would to start MP by MCE remote Windows/Green button, I don't care about where I'm on Windows 8 interface, MP should start as a stand-alone device. MPtray it's a MP native feature and start MP by green button: one button. It's quite simple I guess

HomeY

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 23, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    MPtray it's a MP native feature and start MP by green button: one button. It's quite simple I guess
    Correct, but when you press the Green button while you are on Metro, it still starts MP on desktop mode, and does NOT switch there.
    If you don't care about where you are on Win 8 interface, then i would setup windows to boot directly to Desktop. Then you can use MPTray and simply hit Green button to start it.

red5goahead

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 24, 2007
    Italy, North West
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    MPtray it's a MP native feature and start MP by green button: one button. It's quite simple I guess
    Correct, but when you press the Green button while you are on Metro, it still starts MP on desktop mode, and does NOT switch there.
    If you don't care about where you are on Win 8 interface, then i would setup windows to boot directly to Desktop. Then you can use MPTray and simply hit Green button to start it.

I can't use MPTray because before starting MP I have to perfom some action:

1) change my sound device to Realtek digital output (using ssd 9hidden command)
    2) active and set Panasonic monitor #1 as unique/primary monitor and detach Asus Lcd

start MP

on exiting

1) change/return my sound device to Realtek speaker (using ssd 7hidden command)
    2) active and set Asus Lcd Panasonic monitor #2 as unique/primary monitor and detach the Panasonic

so I've to use LM remote but Media Portal do not have a simple option such as "keep Media Portal starting in desktop mode (Win8/Win8.1)" in startup/resume settings

HomeY

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 23, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I can't use MPTray because before starting MP I have to perfom some action:
    OK, i understand ;)

So to be clear: You start MP with a remote button, which you have mapped to a script that performs some actions, and afterwards starts MP?
    And your problem is that when you execute this script from the Metro UI, that MP starts on desktop mode, and you aren't switched there (automatically).
    And least but not least: You don't mind if windows starts up on Metro or Desktop mode?

Then i assume your remote button doesn't work on Desktop mode? Because that would solve the problem above (if i understood all correct) ;)
    At least i understand your 'request' now! Just trying to figure out a solution without coding :D

** EDIT **
    Btw: I just tested it here on my Win 8.1 setup, and when i click the MP shortcut on my Metro UI, it starts MP nicely and jumps to desktop mode... :confused:

My Taskbar settings checked:
    upload_2014-8-27_22-23-45.png

upload_2014-8-27_22-24-0.png

Note: I'll move these posts to a new thread in a second.

Last edited:

red5goahead

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 24, 2007
    Italy, North West
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    So to be clear: You start MP with a remote button, which you have mapped to a script that performs some actions, and afterwards starts MP?

Yes, the script execute inital actions , wait MP to exit, and perform the final ones (restore)

And your problem is that when you execute this script from the Metro UI, that MP starts on desktop mode, and you aren't switched there (automatically).
    And least but not least: You don't mind if windows starts up on Metro or Desktop mode?

it should work every time from the metro UI even from the desktop.
    From the desktop mode the remote button and the script configurated into work fine, obviously

No , because I use the pc for other activity so if I forget the Metro UI opened the remote button doesn't work anymore. from desktop as I said there are no issues

HomeY

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 23, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    See my edit in the above post.
    Somehow i'm unable to reproduce the 'missing' switch to Desktop mode you have. :cautious:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom