Windows 8: Does your installation have an MS DVD Navigator? (1 Viewer)

Do you have the MS DVD Navigator (qdvd.dll) on your Windows 8 PC

• Yes - Windows 8 install not mentioned here (please reply with details)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No - Please reply with the details of your installation

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

mbuzina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 11, 2005
    Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    As the communication from Microsoft is not very clear at the moment, it would be nice if the users of MediaPortal could help out and clear something.

MS states that Windows 8 will not have DVD playback out of the box. This might mean that there is no DVD Navigator filter on these installs or it might mean that there is no default mpeg2 decoder. If the first case is true, MP might not play DVDs on that copy of Windows 8 without any additional software. The latter should not be an issue as MP ships the LAV filters which contain an mpeg2 decoder.

Up to now I have not (yet) heard of a PC with Windows 8 that misses the DVD Navigator, but we need to be sure. So please answer the following question if you have a windows 8 PC.

Thanks!

cubii

Portal Pro
    November 1, 2006
    i needed to install the mce update/addon, without no dvdnavigator was working/existing ( in mp config, one dvdnavigator was visible, but not working) Clean install windows 8 pro

Arturas1976

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 5, 2008
    Vilnius
    Home Country
    Lithuania Lithuania
    It is interesting with this issue. First 2 months ago I saw this problem with upgraded from win7 and clean install both - no navigtor in MP. Have read lot of sites and got back to find qdvd.dll in both my installations. They were there with no question. I tried to copy from win7 system - same result. The don't rememeber exactly what made situation different (my guess is LAV with DVD support) and now I see all dvds working fine. So I would bet that it is mpeg2 codec question, not navigator.

mbuzina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 11, 2005
    Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    i needed to install the mce update/addon, without no dvdnavigator was working/existing ( in mp config, one dvdnavigator was visible, but not working) Clean install windows 8 pro
    Thanks for the info. Did you check for the file (qdvd.dll) before getting MCE?

mbuzina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 11, 2005
    Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    @Arturas1976: To get it straight: you did not have qdvd.dll upon upgrade (from where?) and upon clean install at first. Than later you had it and you are not sure what installed it, right?

Arturas1976

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 5, 2008
    Vilnius
    Home Country
    Lithuania Lithuania
    No no, I always have had qdvd.dll in the system!! Win8Ent has it by default. My upgrade was done from win7 x86. I have two systems.

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    The don't rememeber exactly what made situation different (my guess is LAV with DVD support) and now I see all dvds working fine. So I would bet that it is mpeg2 codec question, not navigator.

Sounds like MPEG2 codec, since LAV doesn't have any DVD navigator.

Sebastiii

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • November 12, 2007
    France
    Home Country
    France France
    Yes, i have see the same with old LAV version (LAV Video) now all is good :) (i mean recent/latest LAV Version)

Last edited:

Scythe42

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 20, 2009
    Berlin
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    The DVD Navigator exists in ALL Win8 Versions.

Doesn't matter if you installed Media Center Add On or not. There is just no DVD Player Software included using these components. But all the stuff is present on the system as it was in Win7.

Might be that some of the filters are not automatically registered though (haven't checked that). But even the mpeg filters are present on the system itself on any of my MSDN versions.

Rule of thumb: It works on Enterprise = It works everywhere. As the Enterprise version isn't officially capable of adding the Media Center (at least last time I checked).

This was already discussed in various threads as soon as the MSDN release came out... Win8 just doesn't come with a DVD Player Application out of the box. That's all. The required components are still on the system.

This is because MS doesn't want to break other software as it seems - especially after the unfounded huge press shit-storm.

So the included everything minus the application (that is officially discontinued as the project team was dismantled) which they then offerred as a free add on for sometime before it costs money. Uuntil then everybody should have figured it out that the thing is a no issue.

If something is broken in MP on Win8 in regards to DVD playback it's not because of missing some"system components" compared to Win7.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom