Windows 8: Would You Update? (1 Viewer)

Paul Shirley

Portal Pro
November 3, 2008
First, the following is for a 64bit Win8 Pro install on an AMD system+4Gb RAM. No idea if a 32bit install or an Intel CPU would behave differently.

1: I had a lot of trouble finding drivers that would work in 64bit with 4Gb RAM enabled. The Win8 bundled drivers and downloaded updates ALL failed. I was surprised, they've had several years to get this sorted out and raises some serious questions about driver support in general and Microsofts testing regime. If building a dedicated HTPC not really a problem, just lock down to <4Gb or use a 32bit install. But I now have quite a lot of hardware that either won't work or will crash Win8 instantly.

2: MP 1.3.0.beta TVService needs running in XP SP3 compatibility mode. Before I tried that my PC restarted a lot while idle. Win8 64 appears to be a little incompatible with TVservice right now.

3: I see a massive rise in recording glitches running 1.3.0b under Win8 compared to XP on the same machine. Haven't pinned down if it's an issue with the Win8 BDA system or TVservice, using different tuners and drivers has no effect. There's a systematic problem causing dropped packets, in fixed bit rate 192k radio recordings I consistently see dropped frames at 5:30min into each DVB-T recording, across all tuners.

4: you must exclude MP and especially it's log files from Windows Defender attention, otherwise MP crawls to a halt.

As a general point I've found Win8 64 considerably less stable than XP when run in desktop mode, both driver issues and I'd guess lack of interest in maintaining the desktop. Crashing Explorer is now pretty fatal, doesn't seem any way to get back from it apart from the reset button. XP usually let me safely restart when it got badly crashed.

Can't comment on whether remotes controls work and my mboard+GPU really doesn't like sleep mode so I've not tested MP.

Right now I'd avoid 64bit builds until the problems are resolved, if you have a working Win7 system there's no point. Arguably if you have a working XP HTPC only MP dropping support is a problem. Might be worth locking in the licence at the current price though, even if you don't actually install it till the 1st service pack turns up.

SiLenTYL

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 23, 2004
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Standby S3 is a lot faster to and from sleep... Noticeably so. As for dynamic refresh rate changer, it worked as it did in Win7.. I just needed to add the new refresh rates again 23.976 and 50 in nvidia control panel.

Last edited:

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Tempting[DOUBLEPOST=1358737497][/DOUBLEPOST]What do u use instead of LAV?and does the internal player still work fine? I read a post saying something about needing a 3rd party player.

SiLenTYL

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 23, 2004
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Lav works. Set it up with nvidia cuvid hardware decoding. U need to run the 'video player' once, play a file, it says it needs to update itself, do that update and then all is perfect inside MP.

I didn't get the media centre (it's free so I'll probably grab it before Feb 1, but it's not needed.

Last edited:

SiLenTYL

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 23, 2004
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia

Luca Brasi

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 14, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I wasn't aware of madvr at all and personally I don't care about it that much at the moment :) If I understand things correctly madvr is a replacement for your standard renderer and it will use gpu for doing its job... but again just had a quick look and I am truly no expert in these things...
    I put the link in here because of the findings about win7/8. I like to see that win 8 gains 3W in idle over win7. You're welcome to call me a eco-nazi now :) ...

Last edited:

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    MadVR is a renderer similar to EVR or VMR9 used inside MediaPortal. This one providing the best known video playback quality today. But it has some limits on other side, so it's hard (just to avoid saying impossible) to implement this in MP...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom