Windows always reverting to Stereo sound setup.

Discussion in 'Operating System' started by rspierenburg, November 13, 2012.

1. rspierenburg

rspierenburg Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +26 / 0
    Home Country:
    Canada Canada
    Show System Specs
    Hi, I'm having a little annoying issue and not sure if anyone can help me or not. I have my HTPC running Windows 7 connected via HDMI to my Onkyo 7.1 receiver. My HTPC remains on all the time, just my TV and Receiver gets turned off.

In Windows Sounds I can setup 7.1 channels which then puts my Onkyo in Multichannel setup. But after I shut down the receiver and turn it back on Windows reverts to 2 Channel (stereo) and my receiver runs in All Channel Stereo.

I'm assuming that this is caused because, since the HTPC does not recognize the receiver as being attached when its turned off, Windows reverts to the native 2 Channel Stereo setting.

Is there a way to force Windows into 7.1 Channel mode no matter what is connected? I've tried to disable all the other sound choices but it doesn't help any.

Thanks in advance,
    Rob

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Atomic7431

Atomic7431 Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +71 / 0
    Home Country:
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Show System Specs
    What a coincidence i have been getting annoyed with this too, was about to put a thread up myself.
    Do you have an amd card by any chance?
    My playback device, configure also loses its setting from 5.1 to stereo and also where you would click configure to the right it says properties and in there under advanced tab the default format keeps reverting to 16 bit and this also stops the 5.1 output until i move it back to 24 bit.

I have an Amd AGPU 7660D which works very well except for this issue and wonder if its yet another driver issue?

4. Atomic7431

Atomic7431 Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +71 / 0
    Home Country:
    Show System Specs
  5. Coldblackice

Coldblackice New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Home Country:
    United States of America United States of America
    Any update on this? I've got the exact same issue, and it drives me crazy.

I have a 7950 outputting audio over HDMI to a Yamaha receiver. However, it often reverts from 7.1 back to stereo configuration, which drives me batty. Additionally, this seems to coincide with the name of the device changing in Windows 7 -- sometimes Windows shows the name of the Yamaha receiver, and sometimes Windows shows the name of the HDTV that the receiver outputs to.

It seems that Windows reverts back to stereo when the device name changes. I've wondered if this is because Windows technically is thinking it's a new device every time, and thus, sets them to the default stereo -- which I have to continuously set to 7.1 full-range.

Any help?

6. Atomic7431

Atomic7431 Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +71 / 0
    Home Country:
    Show System Specs
    i sorted the issue by using the inbuilt mediaportal audio engine and there for bypassing the windows audio issue. Link To Wiki
    hope this helps.

Also a post i made with the settings i had at that time Beginners guide to Mediaportal Codecs and what to use.

I say at that time as i sold off all my server gear etc and only use mepo for music at present due to family reasons

Last edited: October 6, 2013

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice
  • About The Project

The vision of the MediaPortal project is to create a free open source media centre application, which supports all advanced media centre functions, and is accessible to all Windows users.

In reaching this goal we are working every day to make sure our software is one of the best.

• Support MediaPortal!

The team works very hard to make sure the community is running the best HTPC-software. We give away MediaPortal for free but hosting and software is not for us.

Care to support our work with a few bucks? We'd really appreciate it!