Operating System Windows always reverting to Stereo sound setup. (1 Viewer)

rspierenburg

Portal Pro
June 18, 2010
Canada Canada
Hi, I'm having a little annoying issue and not sure if anyone can help me or not. I have my HTPC running Windows 7 connected via HDMI to my Onkyo 7.1 receiver. My HTPC remains on all the time, just my TV and Receiver gets turned off.

In Windows Sounds I can setup 7.1 channels which then puts my Onkyo in Multichannel setup. But after I shut down the receiver and turn it back on Windows reverts to 2 Channel (stereo) and my receiver runs in All Channel Stereo.

I'm assuming that this is caused because, since the HTPC does not recognize the receiver as being attached when its turned off, Windows reverts to the native 2 Channel Stereo setting.

Is there a way to force Windows into 7.1 Channel mode no matter what is connected? I've tried to disable all the other sound choices but it doesn't help any.

Thanks in advance,
Rob

Atomic7431

Portal Pro
June 17, 2011
United Kingdom United Kingdom
What a coincidence i have been getting annoyed with this too, was about to put a thread up myself.
Do you have an amd card by any chance?
My playback device, configure also loses its setting from 5.1 to stereo and also where you would click configure to the right it says properties and in there under advanced tab the default format keeps reverting to 16 bit and this also stops the 5.1 output until i move it back to 24 bit.

I have an Amd AGPU 7660D which works very well except for this issue and wonder if its yet another driver issue?

Coldblackice

October 1, 2013
United States of America United States of America
may have found a solution from the avs forums testing and will report findings.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1091403/edid-override-thread
Any update on this? I've got the exact same issue, and it drives me crazy.

I have a 7950 outputting audio over HDMI to a Yamaha receiver. However, it often reverts from 7.1 back to stereo configuration, which drives me batty. Additionally, this seems to coincide with the name of the device changing in Windows 7 -- sometimes Windows shows the name of the Yamaha receiver, and sometimes Windows shows the name of the HDTV that the receiver outputs to.

It seems that Windows reverts back to stereo when the device name changes. I've wondered if this is because Windows technically is thinking it's a new device every time, and thus, sets them to the default stereo -- which I have to continuously set to 7.1 full-range.

Any help?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

OP Similar threads Forum Replies Date
vvulture Using Windows 10 MediaPortal 1 Talk 8
Golf4 Nach Windows-Updates läuft TV-Plugin nicht mehr Allgemeines Support- und Diskussionsforum 0
Dark Eyes Updated to Windows 10, now TVServer won't work Installation, configuration support 1
rsbrux Operating System Win 10 vs. 8.1 Operating System 2
M.Hulot Moving Pictures lässt sich nach Windows-Update nicht mehr öffnen Plugins & Erweiterungen 1
O Analog Angel USB TV Tuner on Windows 7 Ultimate Newcomers Forum 7
L Mediaportal 1.21 and Windows 10: user schedules de-activated when powerscheduler plugin is selected General Support 1
R Problem with MP1 and WifiRemote Skins and Plugins Installer (MPEI) 8
R Directx 9.0 June 2010 does not install on Windows 10 x64, ends up with weird failure / no debug file Installation, configuration support 0
W windows 7 and mediaportal 1.22 and 1.23 installer problem General Support 2
D [solved] Active Movie window General 2
TLD Windows 10 1903 feature update General Support 3
A Problem Windows 10 64 bit prof. Update auf Version 1903(gelöst) Installationsprobleme? 0
T No TV after updating Windows 10 to latest Version 1903 / OS build 18362.175 (logs attached) General Support 2
T Can Emprex 3009ARF III MCE Remote Control be used to toggle Fullscreen/Windowed mode?? Remotes 7
P WMC on Windows 7 migrating to Media Portal on Windows 10 Newcomers Forum 5
R [solved] Hide Windows 10 volume OSD Feature Requests 3
F [solved] Mediaportal (1 oder 2) Installation mit Fehler bei DirectX9.0 unter Windows 10 Allgemeines Support- und Diskussionsforum 10
HTPCSourcer [Rejected] Mouse movements and focus: Windows standards MediaPortal 2 3
D [solved] HID remote for mp2 and w10 64 bit? using all tools: sony, cisco, homeworkx ng General 2
Lehmden MP2 client for Windows 10 ARM, possible? Maybe an UWP version could do the trick... MediaPortal 2 11
Rob Hexenmeister [solved] Latests Media Handler - Skinning an updating window or control Fanart Handler 26
el Filou Is Windows Media Player still needed on Windows 10 ? MediaPortal 1 Talk 0
A Enigma2 receiver channels on Windows PC with Media Portal help General Support 0
W Playback stuttering after upgrade from MP1 on Windows 7 to MP2 on Windows 10 General 2