Operating System Windows always reverting to Stereo sound setup. (1 Viewer)

rspierenburg

Portal Pro
June 18, 2010
Home Country
Canada Canada
Hi, I'm having a little annoying issue and not sure if anyone can help me or not. I have my HTPC running Windows 7 connected via HDMI to my Onkyo 7.1 receiver. My HTPC remains on all the time, just my TV and Receiver gets turned off.

In Windows Sounds I can setup 7.1 channels which then puts my Onkyo in Multichannel setup. But after I shut down the receiver and turn it back on Windows reverts to 2 Channel (stereo) and my receiver runs in All Channel Stereo.

I'm assuming that this is caused because, since the HTPC does not recognize the receiver as being attached when its turned off, Windows reverts to the native 2 Channel Stereo setting.

Is there a way to force Windows into 7.1 Channel mode no matter what is connected? I've tried to disable all the other sound choices but it doesn't help any.

Thanks in advance,
Rob

Atomic7431

Portal Pro
June 17, 2011
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
What a coincidence i have been getting annoyed with this too, was about to put a thread up myself.
Do you have an amd card by any chance?
My playback device, configure also loses its setting from 5.1 to stereo and also where you would click configure to the right it says properties and in there under advanced tab the default format keeps reverting to 16 bit and this also stops the 5.1 output until i move it back to 24 bit.

I have an Amd AGPU 7660D which works very well except for this issue and wonder if its yet another driver issue?

Coldblackice

October 1, 2013
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
may have found a solution from the avs forums testing and will report findings.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1091403/edid-override-thread

Any update on this? I've got the exact same issue, and it drives me crazy.

I have a 7950 outputting audio over HDMI to a Yamaha receiver. However, it often reverts from 7.1 back to stereo configuration, which drives me batty. Additionally, this seems to coincide with the name of the device changing in Windows 7 -- sometimes Windows shows the name of the Yamaha receiver, and sometimes Windows shows the name of the HDTV that the receiver outputs to.

It seems that Windows reverts back to stereo when the device name changes. I've wondered if this is because Windows technically is thinking it's a new device every time, and thus, sets them to the default stereo -- which I have to continuously set to 7.1 full-range.

Any help?

Atomic7431

Portal Pro
June 17, 2011
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
i sorted the issue by using the inbuilt mediaportal audio engine and there for bypassing the windows audio issue. Link To Wiki
hope this helps.

Also a post i made with the settings i had at that time Beginners guide to Mediaportal Codecs and what to use.

I say at that time as i sold off all my server gear etc and only use mepo for music at present due to family reasons

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom