Windows Blue Screen Of Death !!! (1 Viewer)

Geon106

Portal Pro
June 23, 2006
Kent, England
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Okay this problem has been on and off for the last 6 months but recently has got so bad i can barely use my computer.

It started where usually every morning my computer would BSOD, or when i'm playing 3D games. The error message is always IRQ_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL. I have no idea what this means but no file is mentioned at the bottom, i just get a STOP and the numbers for the error. Sadly tho, now it usually happens when my computer boots up and as soon as Media Portal opens. Then it crashes and shows the BSOD. I've tried both 0.2.1 and 0.2.2 versions in case that might help but no such luck.

I've tried updating my chipset drivers and my graphics card drivers but no luck. Ive tried reinstalling Windows but not luck. I cannot work out when can be causing it.

Now i have to press CRTL + ALT + DEL to close Media Portal really quickly before it opens and crashes the computer, i don't think MP would cause the problem but what could it be? When I just go into Windows and play media files in Media Player it rarely ever crashes, bout 3 times a week it may crash? if that. And that includes heavy gaming.

Is there any way for me to see a log from the BSOD to find out what causes it?

MediaPortal Version: 0.2.1 and 0.2.2
MediaPortal Skin: BlueTwo
Windows Version: Windows XP Pro
CPU Type: AMD Sempron 2800+
HDD: Barracuda 120GB IDE
Memory: 1GB DDR 333Mhz
Motherboard: A-Bit K7
Motherboard Chipset: VIA
Motherboard Bios: Phoenix
Video Card: nVidia Geforce 6600 GTOC
Video Card Driver: nVidia Forceware 9
Sound Card: Realtek AC'97 Onboard 5.1
Sound Card AC3: AC3/Coaxial
Sound Card Driver: Not Sure
1. TV Card: KWorld DVB-T 100
1. TV Card Type: Digital Video Broadcast Terrestrial
1. TV Card Driver: Dunno
MPEG2 Video Codec: Dunno
MPEG2 Audio Codec: Dunno
Satelite/CableTV Provider: Telewest Broadband/Internet TV
HTPC Case: JDI LAN Carry Case
Cooling: Fans and Heatsinks
Power Supply: 250 Watt Micro ATX
Remote: PS Dual Shock Game Controller/TV Tuner Remote
TV: Sony 24" Widescreen CRT
TV - HTPC Connection: S-Video

Taipan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    i just get a STOP and the numbers for the error.

If you "google" the error message number, you should get a bunch of hits that will describe the nature of the BSOD and possible causes.

BSODs are usually caused by hardware, or the hardware drivers. In this case it looks like your games and MediaPortal are triggering the problem, and my guess would be that it is your video card/drivers.

Do you have another video card that you could use to see if the BSODs continue?

Is you video card overclocked?

Have you tried removing the video drivers completely and then installing a version that you used before the BSODs commenced?

Geon106

Portal Pro
    June 23, 2006
    Kent, England
    Home Country
    i just get a STOP and the numbers for the error.

If you "google" the error message number, you should get a bunch of hits that will describe the nature of the BSOD and possible causes.

BSODs are usually caused by hardware, or the hardware drivers. In this case it looks like your games and MediaPortal are triggering the problem, and my guess would be that it is your video card/drivers.

Do you have another video card that you could use to see if the BSODs continue?

Is you video card overclocked?

Have you tried removing the video drivers completely and then installing a version that you used before the BSODs commenced?

The card is factory overclocked, but i doubt that'll be why as my gaming rig has the same card and works fine[tho the fans broke and so it overheats but thats another problem entirely lol]. anyways, i'll try put another card in. i've updated the cards drivers but still a big no no. I might try to not try, i've not tried that yet lol.

anyways, i'll follow your advice and when i switch the comp on and it crashes i'll search on McGoogley for the answer. Thanks slick.

Geon106

Portal Pro
    June 23, 2006
    Kent, England
    Home Country
    okay i've decided not to do that, i've switched all plugins off in media portal except the main menu, my pictures, my videos and my radio, and i think settings. this way i can see if its a plugin causing problems.

sunsetdk

Portal Pro
    October 18, 2005
    Nordborg
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    I have had that error before, and i think what caused it was the RAM. I could see there was error on the RAM when i did a burn in test. And i never saw wit after the RAM was changed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom