Windows Media Player 11 details (1 Viewer)

Zamzummin

October 12, 2012
Home Country
Romania Romania
Hello,

I recently heard about your MediaPortal software and am really excited to try it. However I can't get past the Windows Media Player 11 requirement for installation.

I am using Windows XP SP3 without any version of WMP. Before you get upset at me, it is a genuine "N" version of Windows XP. See the following link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Media_Player#European_Commission_case

I obtained this copy of Windows because I do not agree with being forced to use Windows Media Player as the default option. Currently, I use MPC-HC with CoreAVC, Haali Media Splitter, and AC3filter. I want to try out your software but I do not want to download WMP11 to do so. Is there any way around this requirement?

A member of your team posted on another topic that "WMP is only needed for the BDA and DirectShow system updates." Is there any way to get these updates without installing WMP11? I have tried installing the WMP11 runtime package and making a fake registry key to make it look like my version of WMP is 11.0.5721.5280 but it did not work. I am willing to find and register individual dlls but I am not willing to install Windows Media Player because it is too intrusive and would defeat the purpose of having this version of Windows XP.

Any support is very appreciated.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Yeah, I think I might have been that team member. ;)

Certainly it is true that the BDA and DirectShow updates are bundled with WMP. However you also need the base frameworks. If you have MPC-HC working that indicates you probably have the DirectShow support. I guess you could try installing the packages that people install on the Windows Server OSes to get BDA tuner support if you need TV Server. I would only try this if you find that it doesn't work without it.
    ***Disclaimer: this would be totally experimental.***

To attempt to work around the requirement, you need "wmp.dll" which has version >11.0.0000.0000 in your OS system directory (probably c:\Windows\System32).
    ***Disclaimer: we cannot provide support for your system - there is no guarantee that this will allow MP to install and work correctly.***

mm

Last edited:

Zamzummin

October 12, 2012
    Home Country
    Romania Romania
    Yeah, I think I might have been that team member. ;)

Certainly it is true that the BDA and DirectShow updates are bundled with WMP. However you also need the base frameworks. If you have MPC-HC working that indicates you probably have the DirectShow support. I guess you could try installing the packages that people install on the Windows Server OSes to get BDA tuner support if you need TV Server. I would only try this if you find that it doesn't work without it.
    ***Disclaimer: this would be totally experimental.***

To attempt to work around the requirement, you need "wmp.dll" which has version >11.0.0000.0000 in your OS system directory (probably c:\Windows\System32).
    ***Disclaimer: we cannot provide support for your system - there is no guarantee that this will allow MP to install and work correctly.***

mm
    Thanks for your help. To be honest, I don't know what BDA is but I do not plan to use MediaPortal to watch TV. I want to use it to organize my downloaded media and try out the multitude of awesome looking skins and plugins.

Thanks for letting me know about the wmp.dll requirement. I see now in the below piece of code this is what is checked during installation:
    Code:
    Version aParamVersion;
      result.state = Utils.CheckFileVersion(Environment.SystemDirectory + "\\wmp.dll", "11.0.0000.0000",
                                                out aParamVersion)
                  ? CheckState.INSTALLED
                  : CheckState.NOT_INSTALLED;
      return result;
    I will try to find a copy of wmp.dll or even make one myself and put it into my system directory. I definitely have DirectShow support as I've fully customized MPC-HC to load different media types with different arrangements of filters, many of which require DirectShow support. I will give it a shot and let you know how it works. Thanks!

[Edit: It worked great. Thanks for your help.]

Last edited:

thekitehunte

Portal Member
    December 16, 2006
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    In case anyone is struggling with this on Windows 8 x64, you need to put the wmp.dll in the windows\sysWOW64 folder, not the system32 folder. In x64, the system32 folder is for 64bit and WOW is for 32bit, really confusing, but that Windows. There is a regsrv32.exe in each of these folders, but the one in system32 is to register 64bit dlls and the one in sysWOW64 is to register 32bit dlls. So, after you have copied the file, at an elevated administrator prompt, navigate to the windows\sysWOW64 folder and type:

regsvr32.exe wmp.dll

It should say that the dll registered successfully and MP should then be working.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom