Windows Multipoint (1 Viewer)

Benneboy

January 16, 2014
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Bizarrely I posted earlier and it doesn't seem to have appeared.
I am confused by your last sentence. Are you saying I should or should not tie the tuner to the graphics card? As I am a freeview (terrestrial) watcher what would be really handy is if you could demux the signal instead. I have only seen one guy who has done it so far. but it is beyond my skills.
http://angrytechnician.wordpress.co...very-channel-from-freeview-onto-your-network/
That way there would be no need to worry about how many tuners you require. Alas it is beyond my skills.[DOUBLEPOST=1389988877][/DOUBLEPOST]I don't get this, when I post the second reply the first one appears. When I delete the second message they both go?!?! nevertheless I would still be interested in your thoughts.

Benneboy

January 16, 2014
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Ok I appreciate you letting me know. Out of interest are you able to shed any light on whether in MP you could use a DVB-T2 as a Demux rather than a tuner?

Benoire

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 17, 2012
    Auckland
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    That last sentence I was a little confused by. Are you saying the cards should or should not be tied to a gpu? My thinking behind it is to create each "TV" location as a standalone TV. If there aren't enough tuners, obviously I couldn't watch something different on every screen at once.
    Ah right ok, see I use MP TVServer as a central recording place so I don't get multiple copies of the same recorded tv. So my server handles the TV cards, doles out streams to the various clients, handles the centralised recordings, movies etc. By adding a tuner to each VM you get stand alone TV's but each VM also requires the client/server combined approach and you may have trouble with IOPS from the attached drives, especially if you have only a small number of HDDs and have multiple VMs installed on them.
    For me, I use one HDD for my Server 2012 R2, and one HDD for my windows Server 2012 for Exchange and Windows 7. That means that my TVServer has a full HDD for no problems, however I did find that if I had them all running of a single HDD I had tremendous problems with IOPS.
    Its a shame you can't buy mux tuners. It would be very efficient to tune into the 6 muxes and then you could have whatever where-ever. Some guy has done it but its beyond me:
    Well you can. Simply run MediaPortal TVServer as a server for all clients, add enough tuners to deal with the number of transponders and voila you can stream all muxes to all clients without problems. As an example, in New Zealand there are 120 odd channels across 16 Sky Transponders. With TBS DVB-S2 cards I would need 16 tuners to pick up all those channels and I would be able to record/playback every single channel without trouble at once to any number of clients.
    In your case, you would need 6 tuners (3 x dual, 1 x quad and 1 dual etc.) and you would have the same outcome. The main point is that the tuner allows capturing the full mux which the TBS cards do as far as I know.
    Ok I appreciate you letting me know. Out of interest are you able to shed any light on whether in MP you could use a DVB-T2 as a Demux rather than a tuner?
    See above, you have to demux the stream anyway to get the channel so with enough tuners that match the number of muxes or transponders they will do everything... Another example, Freeview NZ has two transponders. with a single dual tuner card I can stream ALL the channels to any device at any time (including recording) without running into tuner problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom