Operating System Windows7 and Onkyo owners (2 Viewers)

jman06

Portal Member
June 8, 2009
Using WinXP Sp3 and Mediaportal 1.1 and using a Onkyo 606 receiver via HDMI (port 1), I noticed that the receiver would "click" a lot because it was not getting active sound through it - so it was thus "clicking" on and off when it was receiving sound. Very irritating. Especially on the Main menu of Mediaportal and scrolling...

BUT with Windows 7 retail, I noticed it stopped the clicking entirely! So I'm sure Win7 has better handshaking over HDMI or something - but Win7 definitely solves the "clicking" sounds with Onkyo. Yea!

m0use

Portal Pro
February 6, 2008
Yeah, Windows 7 solved my clicking permanently...i have no sounds scrolling trough menus (exept when i listen to music i have menu sounds afterwards until i watch video or tv) :(
I have Onkyo 303 and i'm using optical spdif.
and yes all the other sound works normally

jman06

Portal Member
June 8, 2009
Yeah, Windows 7 solved my clicking permanently...i have no sounds scrolling trough menus (exept when i listen to music i have menu sounds afterwards until i watch video or tv) :(
I have Onkyo 303 and i'm using optical spdif.
and yes all the other sound works normally

hey that's cool!

I should of mentioned above just for clarification to others: so before on Windows XP SP3 via HDMI to the receiver(606) there would be a short delay before the sound hit the receiver and would make clicking noises (switches turning on and off) when scrolling through the menu. Now with Win7 it doesn't do that. So that's one BIG reason to upgrade, unless they can make a patch for that on Win XP...

m0use

Portal Pro
February 6, 2008
i wonder if it would have helped your xp to turn off menu sounds.
anyway moo point becouse i agree with you that windows 7 is far better htpc platform than xp.

msj33

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 30, 2005
    Home Country
    England England
    Can TOTALLY confirm this issue as well on XP SP3

Have an Onkyo 606 with HDMI connection to my ATI EAD4350 Graphics adapter.

Menu scrolling and item selecting is causing HDMI to do a HDCP handshake every time!

I'm also hoping to solve this by installing Windows 7.

UPDATE: Have still same problem in Windows 7, but only when i scroll DOWN in Moving pictures!

msj33

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 30, 2005
    Home Country
    England England
    i do not think that this error has anything related to Mediaportal & SAF codecs.

Just installed Windows 7 and ran all updates.

Have not installed a single driver manually - And the problem occurs even when clicking on links in Internet Explorer.

This has to be a driver or Onkyo issue........

Here is the "solution"

Onkyo switching audio issue - AVForums.com

msj33

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 30, 2005
    Home Country
    England England
    FIXED: The default sound driver from microsoft is buggy.

Get the latest ATI HDMI Audio Device from Realtek! This works for me with ver. 2.35

Realtek

jof

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 10, 2007
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    I'm also going to buy an Onkyo Receiver.

Does this clicking problem only occur with sound over HDMI or also with coaxial SPDIF?

jman06

Portal Member
    June 8, 2009
    msj33, hmm, so upgrading the current drivers to the ATI HDMI by realtek, solved the problem? Just to clarify, when you said fix the problem was that on WinXP SP3 or was that with your aforementioned problem that it would work in Windows 7 but not in Moving Pictures?

jof, SPDIF does indeed have handshaking, so it could be a problem (because like msj33 said) with the driver, just like using the HDMI connector. And once you upgrade to the newest drivers - it should fix it.

Andrew H

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 8, 2007
    Alabama
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I'm using Win7 on a new system... the ATi HDMI driver it came with (on its CD) does a great job at passing AC3/DTS but I had to adjust the PROPERTIES of the output to PASS AC3/DTS & WMA, then reboot. Another side benefit is the video comes to the HDMI automatically whenever I select it on my Onkyo 803 - WOW! It will revert to my VGA-based monitor when I switch away from the HTPC and restore it when I switch to it! No more using hot-keys and profiles to force the display into one or the other displays.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom