[Installation] Windows7 deactivated Media Player (1 Viewer)

hanoota

Portal Pro
June 7, 2007
Home Country
Germany Germany
Hey i already mentioned it briefly in this thread.

You are able to deactivate the Windows Media Player 12 in Windows 7.
If you do that and try to install MediaPortal it's displaying:
State:"Media Player 11 not installed"
Action:"Download->Install"

And of course you can not install WMP11 on Windows7 like MediaPortal recommends.
347afpk.jpg

In my opinion it should detect if you are using Win7 and should display:
State:"Media Player 12 deactivated"
Action:"Reactivate"

Or if it is too hard to implement to reactivate it with the installer, there should be at least a message to the user that he has to change the settings of WMP12 manually (Control Panel - Uninstall a program - Turn Windows features on or off - Expand Media Feature - Check Windows Media Player). After that Windows needs a reboot, so the installer must be started again...

Here is a video to show you what the installer is showing if you try to install it with deactivated WMP12:
http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/8255/mpiwmp12deactivated.mp4

I think it would be more userfriendly if you give the users a accurate state-message! Otherwise unexperienced users might be confused why they can't install the WMP11 on theirs Win7;)
Thank you for the attention!

hanoota

Portal Pro
June 7, 2007
Home Country
Germany Germany
AW: Windows7 deactivated Media Player

No one likes my suggest? :/

ryan20021982

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 27, 2008
    USA
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I dont understand why you would ever need to disable WMP in the first place, if you want to use another player change the associations.

hanoota

Portal Pro
    June 7, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: Windows7 deactivated Media Player

Why should you keep a Microsoft-Software activated on your system if you don't use it? (and imho there're a lots of better media-players around :)) But I think that shouldn't be part of a discussion...

MediaPortal should provide the user a message why he can't install the software! Maybe even at the beginning like "Error - Please frist activate WMP12 and reboot your computer to continue the installation of MediaPortal"

wonkyd

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 29, 2007
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Re: AW: Windows7 deactivated Media Player

:D
    Why should you keep a Microsoft-Software activated on your system if you don't use it? (and imho there're a lots of better media-players around :)) But I think that shouldn't be part of a discussion...

MediaPortal should provide the user a message why he can't install the software! Maybe even at the beginning like "Error - Please frist activate WMP12 and reboot your computer to continue the installation of MediaPortal"

true, maybe better to report in the bugs section

chemelli

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 28, 2006
    Milano, Italy
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    It's not really a bug but indeed an improvment.

Will look into it if I won't be too busy next days...

Simone

TankGirl

May 16, 2010
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I can't even INSTALL media portal now that I have wmp12 on here. I re-installed windows and when I go to install Mediaportal it wants WMP11 which I can't install, because I have WMP12 already installed... so I'm screwed.
    If I uninstall WMP12 it also uninstalls Windows Media Center.. which Media Portal also needs..
    So this sucks....

chemelli

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 28, 2006
    Milano, Italy
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    I can't even INSTALL media portal now that I have wmp12 on here. I re-installed windows and when I go to install Mediaportal it wants WMP11 which I can't install, because I have WMP12 already installed... so I'm screwed.
    If I uninstall WMP12 it also uninstalls Windows Media Center.. which Media Portal also needs..
    So this sucks....

You are installing now or downloading only?
    Because DeployTool, our installer, checks the version of WMP and this needs to be >=11 not =11 ;)

Simone

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom