[confirm] WINTV-HVR-950Q Analog Scan bug? (1 Viewer)

robertwong20849

Portal Member
April 23, 2010
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
MediaPortal Version: 1.1.0 RC2
MediaPortal Skin:
Windows Version: Windows 7 Home Premium x64
CPU Type: AMD
HDD: 250G
Memory: 3G RAM
Motherboard: Compaq Laptop
Video Card:
Video Card Driver:
Sound Card:
Sound Card AC3:
Sound Card Driver:
1. TV Card: Hauppage WINTV-HVR-950Q
1. TV Card Type: Analog/Digital Hybrid
1. TV Card Driver:
2. TV Card:
2. TV Card Type:
2. TV Card Driver:
3. TV Card:
3. TV Card Type:
3. TV Card Driver:
4. TV Card:
4. TV Card Type:
4. TV Card Driver:
MPEG2 Video Codec:
MPEG2 Audio Codec:
h.264 Video Codec:
Satelite/CableTV Provider:
HTPC Case:
Cooling:
Power Supply:
Remote:
TV:
TV - HTPC Connection:

Hi there,

I posted this in the NewComer's thread and didn't get a response.

I can get the ATSC mode to work with MediaPortal 1.1.0 RC2 and get the digital channels.

When I plug in a VCR source and pick the "950Q" (non-BDA) mode, and do a analog channel scan, nothing is detected. The channels I get are labeled "No Signal" and for Channel 3 I get a different error message. It might think something is at Channel 3, but nothing. I see some other channels "S-VideoChan4" and ... another channel, nothing on those either.

The default is connecting the hybrid card to a co-axial antenna, it does work in ATSC mode.

Attached are the MediaPortal logfiles. Is this a bug?

Thanks,
Robert Wong

Bowenac

Portal Member
August 8, 2009
Same here but I am on RC4 and it finds channels on analog but not ATSC, but then when I try to view the channels it says no audio or video, seems odd because it works just fine in media center.

Did you ever fix this problem or figure out what the problem was or is?

robertwong20849

Portal Member
April 23, 2010
Home Country
Hi there,

>Same here but I am on RC4 and it finds channels on analog but not ATSC, but then when I try to view the channels it says >no audio or video, seems odd because it works just fine in media center.

>Did you ever fix this problem or figure out what the problem was or is?

I never got an response from Media Portal developers, they are probably busy with the final release of 1.1.0. I installed 1.1.0 RC4 on my machine the other week. The upgraded from RC2 -> RC4, didn't work, so I uninstalled and put new RC4 on the machine.

Still same old problem with my analog channels. I found other further information.

The WINTV-HVR-950Q has software PVR for analog channels. The digital channels have hardware encoder so that is why some software can see the MPEG-2 data signal. With software MPEG-2, Hauppage has to release a device driver so the application can see the analog MPEG-2 data. Hauppage released the Media Center drivers for 950Q which can captures analog/closed captioning signals. I think we are out of luck.

Hauppage offers a model (WINTV-HVR-1950) which has hardware analog encoder, so this model would probably works best with Media Portal. I haven't purchase that model, it's twice the price as my 950Q.

WINTV-HVR-1950
Special Features
Record analog cable TV with the on-board MPEG-2 encoder, which allows your PC to run at full speed while recording

FAQ
What type of recordings can I make with the WinTV-HVR-1950?
With the WinTV-HVR-1950, you can record both analog and digital TV into the MPEG-2 format.

For ATSC and Clear QAM digital TV recordings, the recording format and bit rate is exactly the same as the broadcast format (i.e. ATSC 1080i is recorded at 1080i).

For NTSC analog cable Tv recordings, the hardware encoder on the device will encode into the MPEG2 format/bit rate specified in the WinTV applications MPEG settings.

Note: Recordings made with ATSC or ClearQAM signals are not DVD compliant.

Robert

Bowenac

Portal Member
August 8, 2009
No I gave up, didn't see the point in buying another tuner when it works perfect with every other program haha.

Maybe Media Portal should make it like the standard that everyone else uses. Or enable such features for both software and hardware.

robertwong20849

Portal Member
April 23, 2010
Home Country
Hi there,

What software are you using since you didn't get a new tuner card? Are you using WINTV7?

I don't think it's Media Portal or any other software application vendor's fault. It's the manufacturer, Hauppage since
they make the device and releases new device drivers.

Also, Hauppage might see MediaPortal or any other TV application as a competitor to WinTv7? Somehow they don't see Windows Media Center as a strong competitor, since it's a horrible interface to use.

I still use MediaPortal for watching ATSC OTA broadcast and record them to .TS format. The next tuner card I buy, it might not be a Hauppage.

Robert

Bowenac

Portal Member
August 8, 2009
I use windows media center, I don't have wintv because I bought my 950Q used and didn't get the disk. I have also used other software but I don't recall the names. I don't see how they wouldn't consider WMC as a competitor to Wintv. I don't think that is the issue. I am assuming windows media center works with hardware or software encoder tuners.

I was just saying to bad MP does not use this same method. I don't think it is Happauge fault, they just make the device and it does work. It would be the responsiblity of the developers to get there product working with multiple types of tuners. This would include tuners that use hardware encoders, and tuners that use software encoders.

Does MP only work with Hardware encoder tuners? This must be the case, or there is something else causing the 950Q from working.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom