Wireless keyboard & mouse recommendations? (1 Viewer)

SteveV

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 13, 2005
    Boston, Massachusetts USA
    My 5 year old AirBoard wireless kb finally died. I wasn't particularly attached to it; it had so-so range, the mouse joystick was squirly, and it had an annoying "feature" that left the mouse stuck in rick-click mode after a pc reboot. But it's gone and it's not nice to speak ill of the dead.

After a proper burial, I picked a snazzy Logitech S510 wireless desktop. It's gorgeous, the keyboard it super slim, and a pleasure to use. Only one MAJOR drawback; the rf receiver to keyboard and mouse max range is 6 feet--pretty useless in an HTPC setup.

So, I need some recommendations a new wireless keydb and mouse combo. I'm running Win XP Pro SP2. My normal seating position is appox 10' from where the rf receiver might be placed. I'd like to keep cost limited to approx $100.

I've had my eye on the MS MCE keybd for some time but understand that most people don't like the "nipple" mouse. Also, I'm not sure if it will even work on non-MCE boxes.

Any recommendations?

Thanks - Steve

hinz

Portal Member
    January 4, 2005
    SteveV said:
    I've had my eye on the MS MCE keybd for some time but understand that most people don't like the "nipple" mouse.

I think you can get another mouse you don't have to use the nipple one.

that's what i'm hoping to do very soon

hinz

tomtom21000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 22, 2004
    Germany
    I am totally satisfied with mine (see signature).

I use it about 4m or 12 feet from the htpc and it is absolutely resonsive. maximum range (untested) 15 feet. Keyboard is normal layout with some multimedia keys which I don´t use. Batteries last very long. works with RF. Got it for under 30 EUR new at ebay. Look for the right model. Most models do not have this big range.

tomtom

bwzuk

Portal Member
    January 9, 2005
    I've always found the gyration mice excellent for media portal control, particularly the way you can use them in the air, as well the same way as a traditional mouse. They also have an excellent range, which is why I ditched my previous mouse in favour of one of these. They're a bit pricey though. Looking at their site, it seems they now also do a specific Media PC mouse/remote crossover device and keyboard.

http://www.gyration.com/

SteveV

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 13, 2005
    Boston, Massachusetts USA
    Thanks for the replies.

I like the Gyration devices but IMO they border on the ridiculous pricewise.

tomtom21000,

I'm assuming you're referring to the CyMotion Pro wireless desktop M85-20850? It looks great but doesn't seem to be available in the USA--I googled it and got ton's of hits for Europe but nuthin for the US.

--Steve

tomtom21000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 22, 2004
    Germany
    Well, not quite. But the one you found looks better than mine and seems to reach 20m far.

Mine looks like this:

2.jpg

You might get it at one of those: http://www.cherrycorp.com/webapp/cherry/Contact?lang=EN&LocID=15

tomtom

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom