Wish list for TV Player (1 Viewer)

TVWatcher

Portal Pro
January 9, 2020
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
If you are satisfied with WMC, why not continue using it? The absence of a Microsoft-provided EPG is not an excuse for ceasing use of WMC.
Oh dear! Have we just wasted a lot of time trying out alternatives to WMC?
WMC on Windows 7 can receive the UK broadcast EPG.
Do we need to tell it to do this or will it just do it automatically?
So the EPG would be in error only for the regional programmes which are not broadcast on HD (but those programmes are few in number).
But there is one we record every day. We could just not map BBC ONE to HD.
Finally, the discontinuation of support for Windows 7 is not an excuse for stopping use of Windows 7. My HTPC currently runs Windows 7 (with MP1), and I intend to continue to use Windows 7 for the indefinite future.
So do we! Until our Windows 7 machine dies!
Whether or not we return to WMC we're very grateful for all the help you've given us.

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Then why does an on-screen keyboard pop up when entering the date format string in Settings?
    Because you clicked the field. Move the mouse into the field and you can then enter text from the keyboard.

apart from the mouse problems...)
    A simple RC6 receiver and a MCE-compatible remote could be an option. Anyway, if you dont have a keyboard, you need to use the onscreen keyboard if you want to enter text. That said, I would recommend to get up and do settings that require inputting text with the laptop.

Any idea when the next release will be available?
    That may be a few months.

TVWatcher

Portal Pro
    January 9, 2020
    Home Country
    Because you clicked the field. Move the mouse into the field and you can then enter text from the keyboard.
    I knew that. My point was that this shows an inconsistancy in the product. You provide mouse-only entry for a minor setting but not for normal navigation.
    Anyway, if you dont have a keyboard, you need to use the onscreen keyboard if you want to enter text. .
    We do, and we accept that we have to when entering text. We are disappointed that we have to do that to navigate, especially as it's in only two instances, one of which would be totally impractical.
    That said, I would recommend to get up and do settings that require inputting text with the laptop.
    As I said, using the laptop's keyboard is inconvenient (and impossible when the laptop's screen has gone blank). We have never found entering text via the onscreen keyboard too much of a bind. If we have a lot of keyboard input to do we use TeamViewer on another computer.
    Anyway ge2301 has taken a more sympathetic view than you and has implemented the features I've suggested.
    That may be a few months.
    Can't wait!

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    Do we need to tell it to do this or will it just do it automatically?
    No, it won't do it automatically.

It is six years since I last used WMC, so I cannot give you instructions without trying WMC again. But you probably need to go through some parts of the WMC setup process in order to enable the broadcast EPG. Take care not to perform the tuner-setup process if possible, as it will delete all of your existing channels and delete the recording schedule.

But there is one we record every day. We could just not map BBC ONE to HD.
    I never did this, because I had switched to MP by the time that HD finally arrived at my location. But I am reasonably sure that you specify that (for example) "BBC1 HD" is to use the same EPG as "BBC1 SD". So "BBC1 SD" remains in the EPG (unless you exclude it), and you can select "BBC1 SD" for viewing or recording. You just need to remember not to record any regional programmes from "BBC1 HD", even though the EPG for "BBC1 HD" will show the regional programme as being broadcast at that time.

I switched to MP because it offered me more of what I wanted, and less of what I didn't want. Two important factors for me:

(1) WMC uses one tuner per channel :(; MP uses one tuner per MUX :). This means that you can record all of the primary HD channels at the same time, and still use only one tuner. (y) :)

(2) WMC discarded pre-padding and post-padding for consecutive recordings in order to minimise tuner usage :(. It did this even when it did not need to :mad: (because there were unused tuners). It was necessary to edit every single recording reservation in order to change the padding to a value that WMC would not discard (and thereby force it to use the unused tuners) :(. MP never discards the pre-padding or post-padding (y) :)

.Of course, what is important for you is probably very different from what is important for me.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

TVWatcher

Portal Pro
    January 9, 2020
    Home Country
    It is six years since I last used WMC, so I cannot give you instructions without trying WMC again.
    Not to worry - I'm sure I can find it.
    So "BBC1 SD" remains in the EPG
    Ah! I misunderstood and didn't realise that the SD channel would still be there.
    WMC uses one tuner per channel :(; MP uses one tuner per MUX :). This means that you can record all of the primary HD channels at the time time, and still use only one tuner. (y) :)
    Hurray! I hadn't realised that!
    WMC discarded pre-padding and post-padding for consecutive recordings in order to minimise tuner usage
    It did that for us because there was only one tuner anyway.
    Thre ability to record more than one channel at once could be the clincher, especially now that ge2301 has sorted the navigation-with-mouse problems. Now, if only we could tell it to play an audio playlist shuffled (rather than having to start it, view the playlist and set it to shuffle, which means it always starts with the same song) it would do all we want. (It was nice that the WMC wish-list had more options that just the programme title but we can live with that.)

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Anyway ge2301 has taken a more sympathetic view than you and has implemented the features I've suggested.
    It is his skin and work and he is then only one who can donsomething about not. But no worries, you won't get any reply from me in the future.

TVWatcher

Portal Pro
    January 9, 2020
    Home Country
    I implement it as follows. The skip buttons will appear on right side and left side as overlay in video screen, when the mouse moves there.
    I implemented the base concept already and it works. I just need to set some more visibility conditions.
    I'm disappointed to see this isn't implemented in 2_2.3 as my other suggestions have (skip less than a day in the programme guide and UK dates in Scheduled programmes). Also the Search button in the programme guide still doesn't work.
    This is in the 32-bit version - I can't get the 64-bit one to run. Is it worth perservering with that - would I notice much difference?

ge2301

Lead Design MP2
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I'm disappointed to see this isn't implemented in 2_2.3 as my other suggestions have (skip less than a day in the programme guide and UK dates in Scheduled programmes). Also the Search button in the programme guide still doesn't work.
    This is in the 32-bit version - I can't get the 64-bit one to run. Is it worth perservering with that - would I notice much difference?
    Of course it's implemented and it works regardless of x64 or x86, because it's skin and not core related.
    Start a video playback and move with mouse to right or left side of the screen.

Also the search button works. Make sure you installed 2.3 and not 2.2.3 as your wrote.

TVWatcher

Portal Pro
    January 9, 2020
    Home Country
    I'm very sorry - I'm afraid my mouse pointer hadn't strayed to the right part of the screen. We're particularly impressed with the fact that you can increase the skip time with multiple presses of the button - very neat!
    Now our happiness would be complete if we could play recorded TV speeded up with sound!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom