MP2 - V2.4.1 WMC Skin not displaying correctly after upgrade from V2.4 to V2.4.1 (1 Viewer)

bondradcot

Portal Member
November 24, 2020
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
MP2 Version
Before you create this bug report:
  1. Make sure that your system (Windows, codecs and drivers) is up to date, matching the Requirements and you've filled in your System Specs.
  2. Have a look at our MediaPortal Wiki! Maybe the solution is already there.
  3. Have a look at our Jira (Bug and Issue Tracker)and the threads in this section, maybe your problem is already known.
  4. Search the forums for your problem, it's very likely that someone else already encountered the same problem.

Please always include log files with your Bug Report!
Check out our Wiki: Bug Reports and Log Files

==================================================================

Describe the Problem you encounter as detailed as possible! "It does not work" won't help the team to understand the problem.
Description:
After updating from Mediaportal2 V2.4 to V2.4.1, I have found that all screens in the WMC skin are displaying incorrectly. It would appear to be a problem regarding the selection of aspect ratio or screen resolution as all screen items are too large with portions of the display off the screen and it not being possible to move the highlighted area to certain menu selections on the Home Screen. The two attached screen shots show the Home Screen as it should be using V2.4 and the incorrect Home Screen that is shown using V2.4.1.

I have tried using the default skin rather than the WMC skin and this appeared to work correctly so it would appear that the fault is inherent in the WMC skin rather than the Mediaportal2 program generally.

I have tried uninstalling and re-installing the new version but the fault persists.

I am running Mediaportal2 on Windows 11 on a 64 bit Intel I7 processor using a display with a screen resolution of 1280 X 1024. I am using the 64 bit version of the client program.

Error Logs for V2.4.1 are attached.

Describe as detailed as possible the steps that are required to encounter the issue. This info is critical for the team to understand the problem.
Steps to Reproduce:

Install Mediaportal2 V2.4.1 on a 64 bit processor with a 1280 X 1024 display. Using the 64 bit client program, first select the WMC skin and then select the Home Screen. It should look like the incorrect display shown in my screen shot labelled V2.4.1.

Attachments

• V2.4.1.jpg
    V2.4.1.jpg
    88 KB
  • V2.4.jpg
    V2.4.jpg
    84.2 KB
  • MediaPortal2-Logs-2022-09-24-09.02.50.zip
    3 MB

ge2301

Lead Design MP2
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    All skins (besides) default skin, were reworked to support different aspect ratios because of deformations. This was made, because thamount of wide and ultra wide screens is increasing. In your v2.4 screenshot all elements are deformed to fit into the screen, it's a design bug.
    For aspect ratios with almost square format the undeformed content can not fit into one screen. Those aspect ratios are very rare, I did not even test them.
    I'll take a look, but I fear it will be hard to support them. I do not want to deform any content and skins are not made for these formats.

bondradcot

Portal Member
    November 24, 2020
    Home Country
    Thank you, ge2301 for your very quick reply. I now understand the problem. If you can fix it, that would be great but if not it will not be too serious a problem for me as Mediaportal2 is usually used on my living room media centre which has a wider aspect screen where it should work. I usually pre-test new versions on my study computer which has the old screen before installing them for general use and this is where I encountered the problem. Looks like it is about time that I upgraded to a new display!

bondradcot

Portal Member
    November 24, 2020
    Home Country
    I have now tried this with my main media centre which uses a TV as the monitor (1024 X 768, the best resolution supported) and unfortunately it does not work with this either. The main problem is not that it won't fit on the screen but that it is not possible to correctly select the different menus as the highlighted area is always one position to the right of where it should be.

ge2301

Lead Design MP2
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    1024 X 768
    This is also an almost square aspect ratio of 1.33 (the other was 1.25). No aspect ratio < 1.4 will work properly.
    There would be a fix possible, but the calculation in the converter does not work and there is sadly no dev to support, so I stopped checking it deeper.

The easiest way is to go to the skin folder of the WMC skin and look for skin.xml. Open it with a text editor and change:
    XML:
      <FlexibleAspectRatio>true</FlexibleAspectRatio>
    to
    XML:
      <FlexibleAspectRatio>false</FlexibleAspectRatio>
    It works then as before, means with deformed content.

bondradcot

Portal Member
    November 24, 2020
    Home Country
    To ge2301, I have now updated both my systems successfully as you suggested. I have only ever had a couple of significant problems with Mediaportal2 and both have been fixed quickly by forum members. I am very impressed by both the forum and the quality of the Mediaportal2 package. Keep up the good work and thank you to all that contribute.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom