Woes with installing MP1 in server/client, please advise (1 Viewer)

Penfold1uk

October 28, 2008
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi all, first post, just found Mediaportal and it looks great, however a couple of q's if you will.

I have a Server PC with the Movies located on multiple drives, then Vista pcs around the house running MP1.
I will not be planning to use it for TV channels, just watching Movies, Listening to Music.

Is there a Client/Server procedure to go through or do I need to go to each pc and update folders each time, I have tried the amendment to the xml file to tell where the moves are located on the server, however this does not seem to have done much to the system, when adding a film for instance to 1 of the drives, it appears in list view however not in title view unless you rescan the database, does this need to be done everytime from each pc ?

Thanks in advance

Penfold1uk

geov

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 1, 2006
    Cape Town
    Home Country
    South Africa South Africa
    Welcome....

If you don’t use MP for watching TV, then you don’t need the TV-Server installed....

What I have done for my movies is to create an ANT-catalog XML file, then install the MyFilms plugin on every client, and then configure all of the clients to point to the ANT-XML file. So when I get a new movie, I just update the ANT-XML file, which then automatically updates all the clients.

As for the music, make sure that you enable the auto-update function in the MP-config application for every client. This will automatically update your music-database when you add music. Alternatively I think there is a database rebuild plug-in that can be scheduled to automatically update your music-database, but I have not used it in a long time so I don’t know if it still exists…but it was part of the default plug-ins that are installed with MediaPortal.

I know it is not exacly what you are looking for...but this way could make maintaining the databases less of a problem for you....

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    You might want to look at MPTVSeries and Moving Pictures (early beta, awaiting next release), both these should update themselves, so you only need to point them to where the files are stored.

These are external links with possibly more intuitive instructions on setting them up.

Just look in the plugins forum, they all have there own subforums so easy to find.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom