[TV] WOL when connection to TV-server is lost. (1 Viewer)

msj33

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 30, 2005
    Home Country
    England England
    [noparse]
    Started on: 2012-03-21
    last update: 2012-03-21

Summary:
    TV-client should also do WOL of TV-server inside MePo when connection is lost/powered off

Area:
    TV

Description:
    When in a TV-server/lient setup, there is WOL option, when Mediaportal is started, but not when client is already running. This feature could be improved.

When using powerscheduler, the user risk of shutting down the TV-server, when the users navigates other features of MePo than TV. (especially with a low standby timer in powerscheduler)

If this happens, the user cannot WOL the TV-server from client, unless the user restarts MePo.

The WOL option should also be used, when no connection to TV-server could be reached.

Either when entering TV in Menu(if user has full screen tv option enabled) or when enabling live TV.

While waiting for WOL and connection, a dialog box should be presented.

/Morten

[/noparse]

mbuzina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 11, 2005
    Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Still there is a usage scenario, I might want the TV Server to go to sleep while listening to Music (local) on a client. Then I would like to see some TV and go to the TV section. This should send a WOL to the TV Server (and by the way the Client should not nag about Connection lost ;) )

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    @ Gibman... It's not the same.
    E.G. You start MP. TV Server is awake. Then you watch some BluRay (or so). This can last some hours. If you are finished with movies you want to have a look at news in TV. So the TV Server has to be running useless some hours or it's not available if you need him later... It would be really great if TV server is waked up by entering TV section.

gibman

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 4, 2006
    Aarhus
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Hi.
    @ Gibman... It's not the same.
    E.G. You start MP. TV Server is awake. Then you watch some BluRay (or so). This can last some hours. If you are finished with movies you want to have a look at news in TV. So the TV Server has to be running useless some hours or it's not available if you need him later... It would be really great if TV server is waked up by entering TV section.

even though u r not doing any TV activities tvplugin is still monitoring what's going on on the server.
    stuff like recordings started/stopped.
    these will appear as popups - atleast for those users that are running with the notification manager enabled.
    in this case tvservice needs to be running.

ofc. it would be nice if tvplugin could determine its need for the tvservice and let it suspend if not needed.

luckily not an issue for me.. as most my media stuff is located on same PC as the one running tvservice.
    so MP does not work in my case unless PC running tvserver is up.

/gibman

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    As I only have SAT antenna in living room I have to store my media on a different machine. Lots of HDD makes lots of noise, I don't want this in living room. So I have a File- Server in Basement and TV server is not needed if I'm watching something else than TV..

sincze

Portal Pro
    September 18, 2011
    Agree. If my TV-Server is sleeping (Multi-Seat) and I'm watching DVD/HD content stored on my NAS through an MP 1.2.2 client everything is working just fine.
    TV Server wakes up, starts recording and shuts down. ;-0 (Great Powermanager ++)
    Now if for some reason I want to watch the recorded tv series and my tv-server is still sleeping. It won't wake up.
    MediaPortal Client can send a succesful WOL on startup of the application, so on my client I've to shutdown restart the MP application.
    This will wake up the TVserver.
    Any other case (going in and out of the TV menu in the active running MP application) will present me on the client screen with a screen to enter my tvserver host name or it's IP........
    Instead of this it would be nice if the client first would send a WOL (if configured in MP client configuration,), wait and in the end present me with a hostname or ip error.

Or am I doing something wrong?

robbo100

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 5, 2009
    UK
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    For me, the server does not go into standby even if I am only using local media on the client. It stays running in the background and is always there when I need it. When all the clients are sleeping, the server then sleeps.

With that said, I do have the odd occasion when the server does not wake correctly, and it would be nice if the client would re-try when it needs the server's clients. I think I agree with your that there is a need, but I am not sure my scenarios are the same.

One work-around might be to have a multishortcut run a WOL batch that the user can command off the menu GUI, but this is not as slick as your proposal.

Robbo100

sincze

Portal Pro
    September 18, 2011
    Tnx. Robbo100!

For me, the server does not go into standby even if I am only using local media on the client. It stays running in the background and is always there when I need it. When all the clients are sleeping, the server then sleeps.

Agree most part of the time TVserver is up and running and doesn't go to sleep with active MP Clients. (Powerschedule will prevent this)

With that said, I do have the odd occasion when the server does not wake correctly, and it would be nice if the client would re-try when it needs the server's clients. I think I agree with your that there is a need, but I am not sure my scenarios are the same.

I think our scenario is exactly the same, with the use of powerschedule. However to think 'green' my tvserver is up and running with it's ssd in less then 10 seconds. Why keep it up and running 400W if you don't use it anywhere in the house? It services 4 tv sets with TV. But the media itself (DVD) are stored in a separate location. What would be a nice feature is if the tvserver would be collecting data about Pictures, Videos, Music in stead of each individual client (off topic I know).[/quote]

One work-around might be to have a multishortcut run a WOL batch that the user can command off the menu GUI, but this is not as slick as your proposal.

Tnx for the compliment. ;-) but how would I use your workaround? Maybe I can map a key on my remote to send a command through the program 'hotkey' as well. Implementing it in MP would be nicer ;-) looking forward to MP 1.3,0 or even 2.0 ;-)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom