WOL with Zone Alarm (1 Viewer)

JohnDoe2000

Portal Pro
July 10, 2007
Hi all,

I am using the MePo single seat installation for years and I'm very happy with it. Now I want to use more than one client. So I installed a server and generally it's working fine but the client cannot wake the server. After some testing I figured out, that the AZ Firewall on the client blocks the magic package. WOL is working perfekt with deactivated AZ firewall.

Can anyone give me some advices to configure AZ to forwarde the magic packages? Or, if this is not possible, can anyone advice a good freeware firewall? Anyone konw Online Armor?

Thanking you in anticipation.

jonm

Portal Pro
January 12, 2009
Wales
Home Country
Wales Wales
Can't you tell the firewall software to allow outgoing from Mediaportal? Do you even need a firewall on the client PC?

Spooky

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 14, 2005
    void 4tl
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    First of all, Zone Alarm is a horrible piece of software. You should never, ever use it anywhere. Try to uninstall it, but in some cases you have to format and reinstall windows again, to get rid of it completely (or work on a very lengthy instruction on how to get rid of everything that Zone Alarm did).

Secondly, why do you need a firewall on the server? Is the server not behind a router for instance?

JohnDoe2000

Portal Pro
    July 10, 2007
    AW: Re: WOL with Zone Alarm

Can't you tell the firewall software to allow outgoing from Mediaportal? Do you even need a firewall on the client PC?

I already did this.

Secondly, why do you need a firewall on the server? Is the server not behind a router for instance?

The client firewall blocks the outgoing magic package. It's not the server who blocks the incoming package. I need a firewall on the client because I want to have the option to block outgoing and incoming connections.

Spooky

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 14, 2005
    void 4tl
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Re: AW: Re: WOL with Zone Alarm

The client firewall blocks the outgoing magic package. It's not the server who blocks the incoming package. I need a firewall on the client because I want to have the option to block outgoing and incoming connections.
    Why do you want to block outgoing connections? Paranoia? ;). In any case, the Windows Firewall is sufficient for that task.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom