Won't Set a Recording (1 Viewer)

David Abineri

Portal Pro
July 19, 2011
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I am usinf MP 1.14.0. When I go to the tv schedule and indicate that I wish to record a 2 hour program, it seems to set the recording but does not mark it on the schedule as being set to record (ie red marker). If I then try to set the recording again it is as if it was not set to record. Please help if possible. Everything has been working fine until just now.
Thanks David Abineri Watchdog attached.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    David, log file shows:
    [collapse]
    [2016-09-26 19:28:51,287] [Log ] [MPMain ] [DEBUG] - TVProgammInfo_OnRecordProgram - programm = Presidential Debate(ID:3536878) on 1040 9/26/2016 9:00:00 PM - 9/26/2016 11:00:00 PM
    [2016-09-26 19:28:51,329] [Log ] [MPMain ] [DEBUG] - TVProgramInfo.CreateProgram: program = Presidential Debate(ID:3536878) on 1040 9/26/2016 9:00:00 PM - 9/26/2016 11:00:00 PM
    [2016-09-26 19:28:51,332] [Log ] [MPMain ] [DEBUG] - TVProgramInfo.CreateProgram - series schedule found ID=6, Type=2
    [2016-09-26 19:28:51,333] [Log ] [MPMain ] [DEBUG] - - schedule= Independent Lens on 1040 12/28/2015 10:00:00 PM - 12/28/2015 11:00:00 PM ID=6
    [2016-09-26 19:28:51,339] [Log ] [MPMain ] [INFO ] - GetConflictingSchedules: Schedule = Presidential Debate on 1040 9/26/2016 9:00:00 PM - 9/26/2016 11:00:00 PM ID=0
    [2016-09-26 19:28:51,343] [Log ] [MPMain ] [INFO ] - GetConflictingSchedules: Cards.Count = 1
    [2016-09-26 19:28:51,351] [Log ] [TvClient-TvHome: HeartBeat transmitter thread] [INFO ] - RemoteControl - Connected
    [2016-09-26 19:28:51,573] [Log ] [MPMain ] [INFO ] - AssignSchedulesToCard: schedule = Presidential Debate on 1040 9/26/2016 9:00:00 PM - 9/26/2016 11:00:00 PM ID=0
    [2016-09-26 19:28:51,665] [Log ] [MPMain ] [INFO ] - AssignSchedulesToCard: free on card 0, ID = 3
    [2016-09-26 19:28:51,666] [Log ] [MPMain ] [DEBUG] - TVProgramInfo.CreateProgram - conflicts.Count = 0 - notViewable.Count = 0
    [2016-09-26 19:28:51,667] [Log ] [MPMain ] [DEBUG] - TVProgramInfo.CreateProgram - UnCancleSerie at 9/26/2016 9:00:00 PM[/collapse]

In other words: it looks like MP is un-cancelling a schedule in order to set the recording.
    I don't see a problem with this.

David Abineri

Portal Pro
    July 19, 2011
    Home Country
    Thanks, MM. The problem was that it was not marked for recording so I had no way of knowing whether or not it would record.

After restarting MP 3 or 4 times, it has started behaving normally!

I do have another question but cannot send a file on this one because it seems not always to happen. When choosing to view a recorded program there is a 10-15 second lag time (sometimes) before it begins to play. Any ideas on this?

Many thanks, DA

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I do have another question but cannot send a file on this one because it seems not always to happen. When choosing to view a recorded program there is a 10-15 second lag time (sometimes) before it begins to play. Any ideas on this?
    Nope, sorry. Too many possibilities, from a non-issue (eg. HDD spinning up), through configuration mistakes (eg. your current MPEG 2 video codec setting for TV is "ATI MPEG Multiplexer", and that's definitely not right), and any number of other things...

David Abineri

Portal Pro
    July 19, 2011
    Home Country
    Please just tell me a couple of things that I can correct? Where do I find the proper codec setting for TV? Where do I find what the settings should be?

Thanks,
    David Abineri

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Let's keep things as simple as possible. :)
    1. Close MediaPortal.
    2. Open MediaPortal Configuration.
    3. Go to the "Codecs and Renderer" section.
    4. Go to the "TV Codecs" tab.
    5. Change "MPEG-2 Video" from "ATI MPEG Multiplexer" to "LAV Video Decoder".
    6. Click "OK" to close MediaPortal Configuration.
    I'm not saying this will definitely fix the 10-15 second lag. It may... or it may not.

"ATI MPEG Multiplexer" is not a real/valid video codec, so you should never select it for any codec setting.

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    When I go to the tv schedule and indicate that I wish to record a 2 hour program, it seems to set the recording but does not mark it on the schedule as being set to record (ie red marker).
    This sounds like the long-standing problem described in this thread:

https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...dings-not-always-highlighted-in-guide.128005/

There is some indication that it occurs on "weak" systems (weak CPU, weak disk, too little memory), but nothing conclusive has been determined. I actually had this myself this morning when I was looking at the radio EPG and noticed that three programmes that were scheduled to record had no red dots in the EPG.

My own experience suggests that this problem mostly occurs when TV Server is grabbing the broadcast EPG from the TV signals, but I have very occasionally had it happen when TV Server is not grabbing the EPG from the TV signals. (Since I have EPG grabbing set for "idle tuners only", if I am watching live TV I know that TV Server is not grabbing the EPG, but very occasionally the red dots will still be missing.)

So, no solution is currently available, only a work-around: if you move the focus to the programme that has the missing red dot, and press the OK button on your remote control, the panel that is then displayed has a side-bar menu ("DefaultWide" skin on MP 1.12) with the top choice being either Record or the choice Don't Record. If it is the latter, you know that the programme has already been scheduled to record, even though it does not show a red dot.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

David Abineri

Portal Pro
    July 19, 2011
    Home Country
    Thanks for these setting MM. The bigger question is, where does a user go to find the correct settings for his/her system? You say that there are several items that could be causing this and I would like to go down the list and make sure mine are correct. Where is the list?
    Many thanks, David Abineri

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    The bigger question is, where does a user go to find the correct settings for his/her system?
    When it comes to codecs, there is no such thing as "correct" settings. If there were, settings would not be available. Different people have different preferences, and different systems with different capabilities require different treatment. Hence the availability of settings - to provide choice, flexibility and compatibility.

On the other hand, there is such a thing as incorrect settings. To select "ATI MPEG Multiplexer" as a video codec is one example of an incorrect codec setting. That statement applies for anybody on any system. Hence the reason that I brought it to your attention.

The fact that you're asking this question and the fact that you chose to use the "ATI MPEG Multiplexer" in the first place (in other words: you didn't recognise it was a bad choice) tells me that you don't know very much about codecs. That's fine; most people don't know much about codecs. In this position you have a choice: either you trust the advice of the people such as myself, or you take the time to learn so that you can make better choices. Most people don't have the time or inclination to learn, which is why I said "let's keep things as simple as possible" and gave you specific instructions. I'd further say that the settings you've got now are probably fine, and there's absolutely no need to question them unless you run into a problem. However if you don't trust my advice or want to learn, there are plenty of resources available on the internet where you can find out all that you care to know.

You say that there are several items that could be causing this and I would like to go down the list and make sure mine are correct. Where is the list?
    I said there are too many possibilities, not that there are several items.

If there were only several items, it would be reasonable to ask me for a list of them. However, because there are too many possibilities, your question is unreasonable.

It won't be possible to further investigate this 10-15-second-lag problem until you can narrow down the possibilities by "sending a file".

David Abineri

Portal Pro
    July 19, 2011
    Home Country
    Sorry to trouble you again MM. I changed the video Codec as per your directions, now I am getting what looks like a brief (less than a second) pause in the video and audio every 5 seconds or so. Attached is a log.
    Many thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom