Work arounds for an alternative home screen (1 Viewer)

Rob Hexenmeister

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 12, 2011
    Slaithwaite
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Good evening!

I would like MediaPortal to start up on an alternative screen (TV Scheduler). I have tried two methods which I hoped would cause MediaPortal to jump straight out of Basic Home to my required screen on loading.

1. <define>#isWindowVisited:#(skin.setfocus(601,10))</define> at the start of the Basic Home xml

2. <onfocus>#(skin.setfocus(601,10))</onfocus> within the default control (which would in effect become a dummy control) of the Basic Home xml

Neither work.

You may ask why am I doing it in the first place - well I want the functions of TV scheduler on the main home screen but I think they are hard coded to screen ID 601. If I could find a way to open the "Active Recordings" dialog box from Basic Home in a single key press then I would do that instead. I can't find an action or a hyperlink to achieve it. So....

In the meantime, I am just curious as to why my work-arounds are no such thing and don't work at all.

Thank you
    RH

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    I would like MediaPortal to start up on an alternative screen (TV Scheduler). I have tried two methods ... neither work.
    My impression is that the MP skin engine was designed with a particular style of use in mind. Provided the skin author adheres rigidly to this expected style of use, the skin engine works well. But as soon as the skin author deviates from that style of use, the skin engine no longer works, or it does something unexpected.

I am not aware of any way of starting MP on the "Scheduler" panel. I think that the best that you can do is to define a button on the remote to display the "Scheduler" panel. I have the BLUE button defined to do this, and I can use this button from anywhere within MP (including the "Home" panel, of course).

If I could find a way to open the "Active Recordings" dialog box from Basic Home in a single key press then I would do that instead.
    I also would like to do this, but hyperlinks don't seem to work. I think that this may be because "Active Recordings" is not a true panel.

An elegant solution might be to add a remote-control function that would display the "Active Recordings" dialogue. There are already other dialogues that can be displayed via the remote control (e.g. the "Exit MP" dialogue), so this solution would be consistent with existing MP conventions. I don't know how complicated it would be to add this capability.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

Rob Hexenmeister

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 12, 2011
    Slaithwaite
    Home Country
    My impression is that the MP skin engine was designed with a particular style of use in mind. Provided the skin author adheres rigidly to this expected style of use, the skin engine works well. But as soon as the skin author deviates from that style of use, the skin engine no longer works, or it does something unexpected.

I am not aware of any way of starting MP on the "Scheduler" panel. I think that the best that you can do is to define a button on the remote to display the "Scheduler" panel. I have the BLUE button defined to do this, and I can use this button from anywhere within MP (including the "Home" panel, of course).

I also would like to do this, but hyperlinks don't seem to work. I think that this may be because "Active Recordings" is not a true panel.

An elegant solution might be to add a remote-control function that would display the "Active Recordings" dialogue. There are already other dialogues that can be displayed via the remote control (e.g. the "Exit MP" dialogue), so this solution would be consistent with existing MP conventions. I don't know how complicated it would be to add this capability.

I have found this and it is working for me in so far as it opens MP on screen ID 601 for me:
    MPStartIt - Start MediaPortal with specific plugin

I think you could probably use it for what you are wanting to do too

I will post my amended screen 601 for you and menu buttons when I have completed them, they are well on the way, but I am having some problems getting Latest Media Handler functionality on screen 601 (separate thread). I think you might like them when they are done.
    Latest Media Handler - skinning buttons

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    I have found this and it is working for me in so far as it opens MP on screen ID 601 for me:
    MPStartIt - Start MediaPortal with specific plugin
    Very interesting! I was not aware of that plugin. Thanks for bringing it to my attention. :)

I read your other thread about "Latest Media Handler", but I cannot offer any advice as it is not a plugin that I have used :(. Hopefully someone with more knowledge will be able to help. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom