WorkAround for Ac3 Filter (ac3 encoding from wma/mp3) (1 Viewer)

costp

November 17, 2006
Home Country
Belgium Belgium
ok, at first, this is my first post and I'm never write or talk english. But I wanted to share this with you guys who are trying to get Ac3filter to encode to AC3 from 2ch mp3/wma/ogg... No more need to edit the XML file. You don't even need AC3 filter:
Her is the solution (at least it works here) :

Install Mediaportal without MPA codec.
Install ffdshow (last build 11-2006).
Make sure you don't have any other MP3 /wma/... codec on your machine or set the priority for ffdshow at maximum.
Now, in the start menu go to the ffdshow audio decoder setup .
Enable resampling and set it to Always at 48000hz.
Then go to LFE crossover, enable it and set it the way you need it (+- 120hz must be perfect)
Now go to Mixer, enable it and set Expand stereo, auto matrix.
Last step, go to output, set the maximum bit for the sound that your card can achieve (X-fi is 24bit) then set output mode to AC3 with encoding at the highest bitrate.

One more step is to be sure that your sound card don't decode AC3 so go to your panel and check it.

It will send AC3 data over PCM (like the trick in AC3filter). This works always, at least here.
I have a X-fi fatal1ty, a Yamaha Ac3 decoder and the connection is made by optic fiber. I think it must works the same way with Coaxial connection.

I already gived this trick to someone with a hercules sound card and sony decoder, it works like a charm...

Voili voilou, I hope it can help some of you guys...

sebrock

September 14, 2006
this did not work for me... but then again some things where a little bit unclear. What is that auto matrix? Didnt find it. Could you bother do write the tutorial again?

I got a Realtek HD Audio, couldnt find any AC3 disable either... :(

mrkrad

Portal Member
August 24, 2007
does this sound better than the c-media oxygen hd or 8770 cards method? i just set the card to DTS NEO 48khz@1.5megabit and it shoots anything not ac3 over the toslink resampled somehow. but i must wonder if the input format of mp3 is 44khz you are probably not getting a bit-perfect rendition and thats gotta stink the sound up a little bit?

it doesn't sound so hot if you pipe old skool mp3's through it so thats why i'm wondering if this method has better quality?

costp

November 17, 2006
Home Country
Belgium Belgium
heu...

In fact, I founded this trick previous year because there was no way to have AC3 from mp3 on my Audigy (I mean 5.1 channel from 2.0.). The only method i knew was to use AC3 filter but it didn't worked with MP. This method with FFDSHOW works great for me. My setup is an Audigy Fatality and a Yamaha AC3 decoder (5.1). All non AC3 are re-sampled to it, and all MP3/OGG/... are working in 5.1.

Now, with FFDshow you have a total control on the sound re-coding(sampling,...) so you can have it the way you love it and over AC3.

Cost...

Sorry for my bad bad bad english....

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom