'Working' indicator when starting TV ? (1 Viewer)

swifty

Portal Pro
January 6, 2006
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi all,

I am using StreamedMP skin and would love to get some sort of visual feedback when clicking to start a TV channel.

I use a HD-PVR which can take around 5-6 seconds to start, depending on the channel change at the STB - the current problem is I click the guide (using a remote) to start live TV but there is no visual feedback at all, so I'm never sure if the click registered or not.
This leads me to sometimes clicking again which then causes the mini guide to appear once the channel starts.

A simple 'Working / Loading' text on the screen would do fine, as at least that way you can see it's actually doing something.
Does anyone know how I could implement this? - I haven't changed any MePo skins before, but have done a bunch of XBMC ones..

Thanks!

Caesium

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 8, 2011
    Solihull
    Home Country
    I would appreciate this too. It's quite important for WAF, while I know to wait up to 10 seconds sometimes for a tuner to finish what its doing, she doesn't and quite frequently ends up causing havoc with her subsequent button presses.

swifty

Portal Pro
    January 6, 2006
    Home Country

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    What you're looking for actually exists already... kind of.
    If you go to the full guide and attempt to tune a channel that fails to tune, you'll see that MP locks up... and then when the fail-to-tune message comes up, there is a cursor behind it. So really the problem is that the cursor doesn't show after you first select the channel. To get that you're almost certainly going to need to dig into the code, not just skin XMLs. You'd need to make the calls to the server asynchronous so that the cursor can spin in the foreground while the tuning thread is doing its thing. Probably not a straightforward task unless you're an experienced coder.

In case it helps, the code that shows/hides the current cursor is GUIWaitCursor.Show() and .Hide().

@swifty
    TV Server doesn't wait for the external STB to finish tuning, so even if this feature existed it would likely be almost useless to you... except for the first tune request, which can be avoided by simply preloading your HD-PVR:
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_...nfiguration/02_TV_Servers#Edit_Tuner_Settings

swifty

Portal Pro
    January 6, 2006
    Home Country
    @mm1352000 thanks for the info.
    Its a shame about that, I had assumed the GUI would be on its own thread so that the tuning etc didn't lock the GUI.

Making the TV server calls asynchronous isn't really something I'm capable of doing.
    If rather than a spinning cursor we just displayed static text eg 'loading...' Would those changes still be required?

I guess the trick is to get the text to display in between the button press and the actual call to the TV server...

BTW, I have my hd-pvr preloaded, but when the stb switches from SD > HD channel (or back) it causes the PVR to reset delaying the start of video data.

swifty

Portal Pro
    January 6, 2006
    Home Country
    Well I thought I just figured out an easy solution for this - use the 'keys and sounds' settings to assign the TiVo 'pop' sound when and item is selected in window id 600 - this was you would get a clear audio indication that the press waawas registered..

Problem is that it works on everything apart from the TV guide grid... Using the keyboard or remote to choose a timeline item (ie start a channel) results in no sound, but if I use the mouse and click it then I get the sound..
    Anyone know how to get the sound working via the keyboard/remote too?

Seems this would be an easy workaround..

Edalex

Community Plugin Dev
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 3, 2008
    Saratov
    Home Country
    Russian Federation Russian Federation
    I think async loading should be present not only in Tv part but i.e. in Videos when plugin is definetely waiting for retrieving data from shares. Loading main window and showing GUIWaitcursor would be nice to see in this case. Ofc if GUIWaitCursor is working :D Since I can't see it in XP in places where it is present in Win7. Only if some error during such loading produced such cursor is showing. I still didn't find the source of the problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom