Working server, no video playback on client (1 Viewer)

arjoll

Portal Member
March 24, 2008
Invercargill
Home Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Hi team - I know that my profile says I joined in 2008, but I never actually got things set up then. MP1 felt very "raw" at the time, so I just persevered with Media Center under XP and 7. After an increasing number of issues with Windows 7, and the impending withdrawal of support, I finally made the jump to Mediaportal 2 at the start of the year.

It's generally working well - some weird issues with some recorded programmes showing twice and issues deleting, but I am sure that's just the source setup.

My reason for coming back on here after 11 years is an attempt to set up a client. The server is a tower behind the lounge PC with tuners; a necessity for Windows MCE, but I'd like to tidy it up, so have a little 8th generation i3 NUC to go in its place, with the server to be relegated to the networking cupboard. The new client can see the server fine, all of the recordings, guide etc show up without problem, but I have no video playback! Streaming from the server appears to be working - the MPTvScheduler app on my phone can play live TV and recordings without problem - but I just get a black screen. I've tried LAV and Microsoft splitters and codecs, and channels with both SD and HD and having no luck.

An initial error about the path was resolved by setting up the network credentials correctly, but now I'm not even getting errors in the log. Just no playback.

Hoping someone can point me in the right direction - and if I've posted this in the wrong area, please let me know! The logs are attached (showing lots of attempts...), specs in my profile, and happy to provide additional info if required!

Attachments

• MediaPortal2-Logs-2019-09-28-20.32.05.zip
    149.6 KB

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    some weird issues with some recorded programmes showing twice and issues deleting
    You probably manually defined a share for the TV recordings, however, the recording folder - as defined in th TV configuration - is automatically detcted and added as a server share.

but I have no video playback!
    What exactly do you mean? That you can't play TV recordings or movies/music? The latter are treated differently.

Anyway, your client log shows no errors. You may want to set the log level to Debug (see Server settings), repeat the attempt to play and then post both client and server logs.

arjoll

Portal Member
    March 24, 2008
    Invercargill
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    You probably manually defined a share for the TV recordings, however, the recording folder - as defined in th TV configuration - is automatically detcted and added as a server share.
    I figured it would be something like that; it hasn't been a major concern, more one of those "around tuit" things!

What exactly do you mean? That you can't play TV recordings or movies/music? The latter are treated differently.
    Sorry, I meant live TV and TV playback.

Anyway, your client log shows no errors. You may want to set the log level to Debug (see Server settings), repeat the attempt to play and then post both client and server logs.
    I've done this now and attached the logs - in the absence of any specific errors I'm not sure what content in there to search on! I see there are issues with things like TV logos, and the Xbox is creating a lot of noise with UPNP requests (I'm not using it in this setup, and it's powered down but still polling) but don't think these are likely to be the problem!

Thanks
    Andrew

Attachments

• client MediaPortal2-Logs-2019-09-29-11.34.10.zip
      161.8 KB
    • server MediaPortal2-Logs-2019-09-29-11.35.37.zip
      4.5 MB

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    [2019-09-29 05:01:11,063] [6057 ] [Main ] [INFO ] - MediaLibrary: Registered share watcher for path {03dd2da6-4da8-4d3e-9e55-80e3165729a3}://\\tvserver\recorded
    This is the automatically added share.

[2019-09-29 05:01:11,612] [6606 ] [Main ] [INFO ] - MediaLibrary: Share watcher not enabled for path {03dd2da6-4da8-4d3e-9e55-80e3165729a3}:////TVSERVER/Recorded/
    This is the one that you added manually, which leads to a double entry (and possible issues). Remove this share in your settings, add credentials as mentioned above, then try again.

arjoll

Portal Member
    March 24, 2008
    Invercargill
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Thanks, and sorry about the delay in getting back to this.

Remove this share in your settings, add credentials as mentioned above, then try again.
    I've done that - it's fixed the issue with each show showing twice, but hasn't resolved the issue with recordings or live TV from the client.

Just to clarify what is happening. Live TV gives me the blueish background (I'm using the Media Centre theme), while recordings give me a black screen with all the playback controls but no playback - the time sits at 00:00, and I can see to other times but there's still no playback.

Playing other items (video library, movies etc) is fine, but I'm guessing those are accessed via a share not RTSP. Playback of the recorded transport streams over the network share is fine with VLC, and I can play live and recorded TV on my phone (Nokia 7 plus, Android Pie) using the MPTVScheduler app.

I'm hoping there's something more I can try - I've attached the latest debug leven logs from both client and server.

Attachments

• client MediaPortal2-Logs-2019-10-06-21.24.24.zip
      169.9 KB
    • server MediaPortal2-Logs-2019-10-06-21.24.32.zip
      6.6 MB

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Strange. The logs show no error and things should be alright.

Have you tried another skin/theme instead WMC, e.g. Win10? I don't really expect a different result but worth a try.

EDIT:
    I vaguely remember a problem with the dynamic refresh rate changer. Can you try to temporarily deactivate and try again?
    The other thing is the behavior in windowed mode. Change from FullScreen to Window mode by pressing Alt-Enter. Does the playback behavior change?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom