WorldWeather plugin v1.10.0 for MediaPortal 1.3.0 and higher (2 Viewers)

kjegibbons

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 7, 2011
    Surrey
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Are you able to see your "user defined" calendar dates in WW using DefaultWide?
    Sorry, did not check this before, as I thougt this problem was solved. Anyway good, that we are back from "offtopic". :whistle:
    And yes, you are right, in the Default and Default Wide self defined calendar entries do not show (I just checked). And I checked the xml -files as well; there is no entry. I just changed it to add at least 2 self-defined entries (see attachment). No need to do the same work twice.

As the last step, please adjust the X-/Y-Position of this label for your personal needs and save the skin file.
    Hi Micropolis, to check if its working, I just adjusted the xml of your v0.6.4 to show at least the first 2 self-defined entries (there is no space for more). Maybe you like to add this to the next update, as it might help people to check if it is a skin-related failure if the calendar is not working

Cheers
    Alfred[/quote]

Hello AlfredENeuma,

I don't understand what you mean by "offtopic", but nevertheless......am I right in assuming that even though you have posted a modified xml file to include 2 entries for "user defined" calendar dates, you have found it impracticable to add the 3 WW plugin "user defined" entries into the skin as is catered for in the plugin?

Are you able to clarify that the xml file you have posted is for "Default" or the "DefaultWide" skin?

AlfredENeuma

Portal Pro
    October 10, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I don't understand what you mean by "offtopic", but nevertheless......am I right in assuming that even though you have posted a modified xml file to include 2 entries for "user defined" calendar dates, you have found it impracticable to add the 3 WW plugin "user defined" entries into the skin as is catered for in the plugin?
    Are you able to clarify that the xml file you have posted is for "Default" or the "DefaultWide" skin?
    Hi again,
    1. Offtopic = off the subject (as you called it): We are in the WorldWeather forum and did speak about pictures...
    2. there are in fact 5 (and not 3) entries for user defined dates; but if you look to the calender page in default wide you will see that there is just no more space than for 2 more entries (without changing font size and everything)
    3. As this is - as I mentioned - the modiefied file from V0.6.4, it has to be and it is the "Default Wide", as this is the only one which is included in V0.6.4. And, just to check if problems are skin or configuration problems, this should be enough.
    Regards
    Alfred

kjegibbons

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 7, 2011
    Surrey
    Home Country
    Hi again,
    1. Offtopic = off the subject (as you called it): We are in the WorldWeather forum and did speak about pictures...

Regards
    Alfred

Please accept my apologies sir.

You are right....I did divert "off subject".

I have made so many posts lately it's hard to keep track of them.

Kind regards,

Last edited:

Micropolis

Portal Pro
    July 22, 2009
    Bavaria
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Dear kjegibbons,
    I have added the line to my xml file.. but when entering config I still see...
    Ok, it was my fault. Please replace "true" with "yes" or use the newest build from first post of this thread. This version support this configuration setting.

After copy and pasting "http://www.frontierastro.co.uk/Maps/London_<rangeword:North,South,West,East>.jpg" into the astronomy URL configuration field and clicking the preview icon the following error message is shown...
    It's not an error, it's a hint. URLs with static or iterative parameters can't be seen in preview mode, because the slideshow is creating in realtime only. So please test the output in MediaPortal using the property #WorldWeather.ImageStarrySky, from my point of view it's recommended to delete hardcoded images before. To the question or stating anticipate: No, I want change this, because it would end in code duplications.

... am I right in assuming that even though you have posted a modified xml file to include 2 entries for "user defined" calendar dates, you have found it impracticable to add the 3 WW plugin "user defined" entries into the skin as is catered for in the plugin? ...
    Please use the DefaultWide skin files from AlfredANeuma to check, if it's working. I'm not a skinner and could not investigate more time into adapted skin files. If you want to see special supported properties, please learn more about skinning and create skin files for your personal needs.

If I had a wish: Your posts are hard to read, please investigate a little bit more time into it. It is best to be limited to the essential.

Cheers Micropolis

Last edited:

Holzi

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 21, 2010
    Ba-Wü
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    As promised here my feedback. :)
    LocationCountry strings works as expected! But e.g. Yahoo shows GM for Germany which looks kinda strange to me. So my vote goes to always use the Country name selected in the config. :)
    Anyway, this is up to you and the other users. Thanks for the great work!

kjegibbons

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 7, 2011
    Surrey
    Home Country
    [/quote]
    Please use the DefaultWide skin files from AlfredANeuma to check, if it's working. I'm not a skinner and could not investigate more time into adapted skin files. If you want to see special supported properties, please learn more about skinning and create skin files for your personal needs.

If I had a wish: Your posts are hard to read, please investigate a little bit more time into it. It is best to be limited to the essential.

Cheers Micropolis[/quote]

So as I am perfectly clear on my understanding...many of your plugin options are not supported by ANY skin by default because of (as you put it) "special supported properties" (maybe this should be redefined as "special unsupported properties"). Therefore, to use all the options in the WW config one has to modify their own particular skin to include these properties for them to function correctly...am I right?

When a new version of the plugin is submitted , be it a nightly build or release and one installs it (especially using the mpe1 installation option) the user modified xml's will be overwritten by the files in the new version. Therefore, am I correct in assuming that any user updating to a new version SHOULD NOT INSTALL any files from that updated version that will overwrite their user defined xml's?

Hopefully, I have kept this post clear and concise so as you can understand it fully.

If I had a wish, it would be that I could install your plugin, edit my preferences in the configuration and see the desired result in the GUI.

Regards.

Last edited:

AlfredENeuma

Portal Pro
    October 10, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    So as I am perfectly clear on my understanding..
    No, you are not clear in your understanding of the basics of a plugin and of a skin.
    A plugin does calculate something and provide the results to some variables.
    A skin does display something which is calculated by the MP kernel or a plugin.
    So, you could use any plugin (even if it is not supported by the skin), but you just would not see anything (as it is with the self defined calendar dates). If you want to see the results of the plugin, the skin has to define where to display the results.

The plugin maker is the guy to change something if a result of a calculation is wrong.
    The skinner is the guy to change something if a result is not displayed or displayed at the wrong place.

When a new version of the plugin is submitted , be it a nightly build or release and one installs it (especially using the mpe1 installation option) the user modified xml's will be overwritten by the files in the new version.
    Again no, at least not as long as the plugin installer does not overwrite skin files. And if you look to the posts of the different versions of WorldWheather, on most of the updates you will find "no change in skinning", at some you will find "hint for skinners: this has changed".

If I had a wish, it would be that I could install your plugin, edit my preferences in the configuration and see the desired result in the GUI.
    As a result of the first answers, nobody will be able to fulfill this wish, except if you use a commercial product where 1 guy is responsible for all the kernel, all the plugins and all the skins. So obviously you also are not clear in the principles of open source, and again - obviously you did not read any of the principle manuals in Wiki for skinners and plugins. So what the hell you want with
    Is it possible to obtain the source code for WW?

Regards Alfred

Last edited:

kjegibbons

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 7, 2011
    Surrey
    Home Country
    So who is responsible for the maintenance of the DefaultWide skin?

I am working on my own addition to WW that does not modify the plugin in any way and does not require skins to be modified for the addition to suit the skin. At the moment WW is presenting an error, so I think that should be the start to trace back the cause of the error.

Regards.

kjegibbons

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 7, 2011
    Surrey
    Home Country
    OK...my little contribution....an edited WorldWeatherHolidays.xml file to include ALL user defined entries...

Capture.PNG

If this could be included in the next build I think it would save any further confusion for novice users.

Attachments

• WorldWeatherHolidays.xml
      26.5 KB
    Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom