WorldWeather plugin v1.10.0 for MediaPortal 1.3.0 and higher (4 Viewers)

kjegibbons

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 7, 2011
    Surrey
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Dear kjegibbons,
    ... To save me playing around with settings and creating more problems than I am solving, how do I now get my http://www.frontierastro.co.uk/Maps/London_South.jpg to appear as the right hand image? ...
    WorldWeather supports only one starry sky image by default. If you want to see your second image, you must made a hardcoded entry into your skin file. Search again for the WorldWeatherAstronomy.xml file and replace the second hardcoded URL http://www.astronomie.de/Images/Himmelaktuell/obssky1b.gif in the texture statement with your preferred URL.
    If you want to see both images in a slideshow, you can do this using the iterative parameter "rangeword" (see manual).

... Also, is the same true for user defined calendar dates, ie. hardcoded in the xml, or is it a skin problem? ...
    I suggest to execute the same steps as stated to FillR above. Currently I don't have access to my development machine, so I can't check the skin files itself.

Cheers, Micropolis

Ok... I've added my second url to the WorldWeatherAstronomy.xml and am very pleased with the results. I now have......

Capture.PNG

......which I think, for me, looks great!!!

Although I have noticed ( a minor point ) that by adding "<texture>#WorldWeather.ImageStarrySky</texture>" into the first hard-coded url I have the following result when viewing other locations, ie. Berlin.......

Capture1.PNG

To overcome this I have entered the actual url path in the first hard-coded entry as well as the second so that every location shows the same Starry Sky images. At the moment, I am using North and South images but ideally I would like to view N, E, S and W either as a slideshow or as 2 x 2 separate images but being a ( sort of ) novice with xml files, I have little knowledge of these or html placeholders.......

Capture2.PNG

.......I know I can research this and get my head around it, but it would be nice to have that "Beginners Guide" to explain a synopsis in layman's terms rather than having to troll through the net.

However, one thing that is confusing me is that I have changed my skin from Maya HD to DefaultWide until I have finished configuring WW to avoid skin compatibility problems. I have searched the skin for " CalendarSelfDefined...." in a text editor using Ctrl+F but there are no entries in DefaultWide's WorldWeatherAstronomy.xml?
    smiley-confused010.gif

As a side note ( and off the subject ) , after changing skin to DefaultWide I have noticed that in the "Recently Added" dialogue for the Pictures menu it is showing thumbnails of photos that I have deleted from my hard drive ages ago!!! Could this be some residual entry in the registry?

Regards.

Last edited:

AlfredENeuma

Portal Pro
    October 10, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    As a side note ( and off the subject ) , after changing skin to DefaultWide I have noticed that in the "Recently Added" dialogue for the Pictures menu it is showing thumbnails of photos that I have deleted from my hard drive ages ago!!! Could this be some residual entry in the registry?.
    Try to clear the cache (..\documents and settings\....\team mediaportal\mediaportal\cache\DeaultWide). You can clear the complete directory; it will be rebuilt on the next start of MP.
    Cheers
    Alfred

kjegibbons

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 7, 2011
    Surrey
    Home Country
    As a side note ( and off the subject ) , after changing skin to DefaultWide I have noticed that in the "Recently Added" dialogue for the Pictures menu it is showing thumbnails of photos that I have deleted from my hard drive ages ago!!! Could this be some residual entry in the registry?.
    Try to clear the cache (..\documents and settings\....\team mediaportal\mediaportal\cache\DeaultWide). You can clear the complete directory; it will be rebuilt on the next start of MP.
    Cheers
    Alfred

I clear the cache every time I make any changes...this still hasn't helped.

Regards.

AlfredENeuma

Portal Pro
    October 10, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Sorry, should have read your post more exact....:sleep:
    I am wondering a little, because I do not find any "Recently Added" dialogue in my Pictures Menu....
    Anyway: Did you try to reset the database (MP Configuration - pictures - picture database - Reset)
    Cheers
    Alfred

kjegibbons

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 7, 2011
    Surrey
    Home Country
    Sorry, should have read your post more exact....:sleep:
    I am wondering a little, because I do not find any "Recently Added" dialogue in my Pictures Menu....
    Anyway: Did you try to reset the database (MP Configuration - pictures - picture database - Reset)
    Cheers
    Alfred

Thank you sir...that did the trick!
    smiley-greet022.gif

I now have my "recently added" pictures showing......Capture.PNG

I note you mention that you don't see this dialogue in your menu. This is enabled by installing the Latest Media Handler plugin.

Are you able to see your "user defined" calendar dates in WW using DefaultWide?

Regards.

Micropolis

Portal Pro
    July 22, 2009
    Bavaria
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Dear kjegibbons,
    ... I know I can research this and get my head around it, but it would be nice to have that "Beginners Guide" to explain a synopsis in layman's terms rather than having to troll through the net.
    Copy the following string "http://www.frontierastro.co.uk/Maps/London_<rangeword:North,South,West,East>.jpg" into the astronomy URL configuration field and save your configuration. Due to the iterative placeholder "rangeword" WorldWeather creates a slideshow, which contains all 4 images. The time between switching from one picture to another can be defined using the expert settings.

... I have searched the skin for " CalendarSelfDefined...." in a text editor using Ctrl+F but there are no entries in DefaultWide's WorldWeatherAstronomy.xml?
    The DefaultWide skin for WorldWeather use cascading skin files. It does not make sense, to look into WorldWeatherAstronomy.xml for calendar related properties, you must open WorldWeatherHoliday.xml to do this. Here you can find all properties, which will be used inside the calendar view. If you can't find the appropriate properties, you can define a additional entry easily by copy/paste a existing label section. After this, please replace the existing label with properties like #WorldWeather.CalendarSelfDefined<digit>DayDescription, #WorldWeather.CalendarSelfDefined<digit>Day and/or #WorldWeather.CalendarSelfDefined<digit>WeekDay (digit is a number between 0 and 4). As the last step, please adjust the X-/Y-Position of this label for your personal needs and save the skin file.

Cheers, Micropolis

Last edited:

Holzi

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 21, 2010
    Ba-Wü
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Thanks for the new test build!
    I didn't have time to check the country location label (no HTPC access) but I will tomorrow evening for sure! =)

AlfredENeuma

Portal Pro
    October 10, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Thank you sir...that did the trick!
    smiley-greet022.gif

I note you mention that you don't see this dialogue in your menu. This is enabled by installing the Latest Media Handler plugin.
    You are welcome, good to hear that it works; and now I understand your special entry, as I do not have the Media Handler plugin.
    Are you able to see your "user defined" calendar dates in WW using DefaultWide?
    Sorry, did not check this before, as I thougt this problem was solved. Anyway good, that we are back from "offtopic". :whistle:
    And yes, you are right, in the Default and Default Wide self defined calendar entries do not show (I just checked). And I checked the xml -files as well; there is no entry. I just changed it to add at least 2 self-defined entries (see attachment). No need to do the same work twice.

As the last step, please adjust the X-/Y-Position of this label for your personal needs and save the skin file.
    Hi Micropolis, to check if its working, I just adjusted the xml of your v0.6.4 to show at least the first 2 self-defined entries (there is no space for more). Maybe you like to add this to the next update, as it might help people to check if it is a skin-related failure if the calendar is not working

Cheers
    Alfred

Attachments

• WorldWeatherHolidays.xml
      18.2 KB
    Last edited:

kjegibbons

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 7, 2011
    Surrey
    Home Country
    ... I do agree with SpudR that a hidden "Expert" mode isn't necessary...
    Open your mediaportal.xml, goto the WorldWeather section and enter the line "<entry name="ExpertSettingsVisible">true</entry>" and save it. Now you can see the appropriate configuration tab by default.

Micropolis[/quote]

Hello Micropolis,

I have added the line to my xml file......Capture.PNG......but when entering config I still see......Capture1.PNG......???

kjegibbons

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 7, 2011
    Surrey
    Home Country
    Dear kjegibbons,
    ... I know I can research this and get my head around it, but it would be nice to have that "Beginners Guide" to explain a synopsis in layman's terms rather than having to troll through the net.
    Copy the following string "http://www.frontierastro.co.uk/Maps/London_<rangeword:North,South,West,East>.jpg" into the astronomy URL configuration field and save your configuration. Due to the iterative placeholder "rangeword" WorldWeather creates a slideshow, which contains all 4 images. The time between switching from one picture to another can be defined using the expert settings.

Cheers, Micropolis

After copy and pasting "http://www.frontierastro.co.uk/Maps/London_<rangeword:North,South,West,East>.jpg" into the astronomy URL configuration field and clicking the preview icon the following error message is shown......

Capture.PNG......I presume this is a default window for placeholder entries?

After saving settings......Capture1.PNG......and clearing my cache my results are as before......Capture2.PNG......North and South static images?[DOUBLEPOST=1348445766][/DOUBLEPOST]
    ... I have searched the skin for " CalendarSelfDefined...." in a text editor using Ctrl+F but there are no entries in DefaultWide's WorldWeatherAstronomy.xml?
    The DefaultWide skin for WorldWeather use cascading skin files. It does not make sense, to look into WorldWeatherAstronomy.xml for calendar related properties, you must open WorldWeatherHoliday.xml to do this. Here you can find all properties, which will be used inside the calendar view. If you can't find the appropriate properties, you can define a additional entry easily by copy/paste a existing label section. After this, please replace the existing label with properties like #WorldWeather.CalendarSelfDefined<digit>DayDescription, #WorldWeather.CalendarSelfDefined<digit>Day and/or #WorldWeather.CalendarSelfDefined<digit>WeekDay (digit is a number between 0 and 4). As the last step, please adjust the X-/Y-Position of this label for your personal needs and save the skin file.

Cheers, Micropolis[/quote]

My apologies sir, this was a typing error on my part, it should have read......... I have searched the skin for " CalendarSelfDefined...." in a text editor using Ctrl+F but there are no entries in DefaultWide's WorldWeatherHolidays.xml.

So, can I assume correctly that at the time of your release that the functions that you have included in the WW plugin were not supported by the Default or DefaultWide skins until such time that either a community member or a skin developer included your additions in a modified xml file?

Kind regards.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom