Would this Cope with MP 1.3 - ARCTIC MC001 (1 Viewer)

unitygain

Portal Member
January 28, 2007
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Thinking about doing away with my old htpc, great pc but somewhat noisy and big beside my tv,have the opertunity to sell it and thinking along the passive barebones side or perhaps building my own mini itx system.
Seen this in an email today and looking at specs required seems it may be fine but would like a secodn opinion...at least :)

Arctic MC001-E Barebones PC - 1.5L!

CPU Dual Core Intel Atom D525 (1.8GHz)
Graphics ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5430, 512MB GDDR3
Chipset Intel NM10
Memory Compatibility Max. memory size: 2 x 4GB
Memory type: SODIMM DDR3 800/1066/1333
Storage Compatibility Form factor: 2.5” (9.5 mm thick only)
OS None
ODD DVD-RW 24x
Wireless IEEE 802.11 b/g/n
LAN 10/100/1000 Ethernet
TV Tuner DVB-T or ATSC
Audio Onboard analog stereo high-definition audio (ALC892)
7.1- Dolby True HD or DTS HD Master Audio (HDMI)
Optical Digital S/PDIF audio output
Back Panel 3.5mm audio I/O jack x 6 (7.1 OUT x 4, LINE IN x 1, Mic x 1)
SPDIF port/optical x 1
VGA port x 1
HDTV interface x 1 (HDTV cable included)
Ethernet RJ45 port x 1 USB 2.0 port x 5
DC power jack x 1
Front Panel IR receiver x 1
USB 3.0 port x 2
3.5mm stereo I/O jack x 2 (Headphone, Mic)
4-in-1 memory card reader x 1
Power Supply 19V DC 60W
Volume 1.5 L
Product Dimensions (L x W x H) w/o stand: 143 L x 40 W x 266 H mm
w/ stand: 161 L x 65 W x 275 H mm
Packaging Dimensions (L x W x H) 205 L x 130 W x 329 H mm
Limited Warranty 2 years

Don't know if i can have live links but this is what I'm thinking of getting, chuck in 8gb of ram 1tb 2.5 inch drive and then maybe down the line upgrasde to a bd-rom - currently bare bone £139 ...not 3 bad as if i sell my current pc then should have some cracker money from xmas lol

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi
    What do you want to do with this? To play DivX Videos or MP3 this will do it properly. To play HDTV 1080i I fear there's not enough GPU power. The CPU is way to weak to jump in. If you use only a few plugins inside MP and don't use "heavy load" skins (like StreamedMP) maybe the CPU is able to catch up with this. But for a full featured MP this is way too low powered. All those Atom based things are way to weak and way to expensive... Go get yourself an Celeron 540 system with an discrete graphics card... This will be as low as 100€ (CPU, mainboard and graphics card) but has ten times the horsepower...

unitygain

Portal Member
    January 28, 2007
    Home Country
    This is the barebone option, same specs as the MC001-BD
    http://www.arctic.ac/en/p/living/entertainment-center/407/mc001-bd.html?c=2296

only difference being that it had hdd and blue ray drive, seemingly good for blue ray at 1080p .....idealy would love to get my hands on one to test rig it out for a day or so, system i have at the minute is a dual core 2.8 with 3 gig of ram so not the case where I need a system as have computers in nearly every room lol, quad core , dual core, 2 laptops and a slim line client for work , just thinking about passive htpc, quiet low footprint type build to sit snug in beside the xbox....could go down the path of new case and quiter cpu fan for my current...gfx is on board so no issue there really, just feeling nerdy and thinking of a new build really

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi
    1080P is not that big deal, 1080I makes the difference. PAL SDTV (=576I) needs a lot more GPU power than BD playback on 1080P. And a simple BD Player Software needs not even 1/10 of the Power MP needs..

unitygain

Portal Member
    January 28, 2007
    Home Country
    Hmmm will probably give it a pass then ....still wouldn't mind getting my hands on one just to see what I could throw at it with 8gb of ram.....seen posts of a guy in other forum with Win 8 on it and solid state drive, has a windows rating but cannot see the screenshot :( . I have a slimline client for work but non admin profile so cannot even run win experience rating on ....or install media portal lol, it is an atom n280 clocked at 1.66 with 2 gb of ram ....don't think work would be to happy opening it to try and get a ball park idea though[DOUBLEPOST=1355169573][/DOUBLEPOST]thanks for the info Lehmden, also was looking at this bad boy when thinking of having a wee system build http://uk.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_CPU_on_Board/E45M1I_DELUXE/ but again much the same except amd E-450 cpu/apu

nice looking board though ....shame to put it in a case at all lol

scousemartin

Portal Member
    December 15, 2011
    i bought one of these for use as a media portal htpc and it works superb, the only issues i have had is when watching hi def movies over the network, it stuttered a bit , my own fault for downloading at the same time, but i have to say i do think it works great. I bought the barebones system with standard dvd writerin for £129 on off from aria and got a 250gb hard drive and 8gb of ram for it, so all in it cost me about 200. Its running win 7 with the latest media portal at 1080p res and works perfect. my system rating is as follows

Processor 3.5
    memory 4.9
    graphics 5.0
    gaming graphics 6.0
    Hard disk 5.9

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Looks iffy for 1080i, but if you don't play on watching live tv on it, you will probably never encounter interlaced video, which means it will be good :D

unitygain

Portal Member
    January 28, 2007
    Home Country
    i bought one of these for use as a media portal htpc and it works superb, the only issues i have had is when watching hi def movies over the network, it stuttered a bit , my own fault for downloading at the same time, but i have to say i do think it works great. I bought the barebones system with standard dvd writerin for £129 on off from aria and got a 250gb hard drive and 8gb of ram for it, so all in it cost me about 200. Its running win 7 with the latest media portal at 1080p res and works perfect. my system rating is as follows

Processor 3.5
    memory 4.9
    graphics 5.0
    gaming graphics 6.0
    Hard disk 5.9

Thanks for the heads up scousemartin, Aria had them dropped down to 99 quid for a while but didn't have the cash over christmas....now there is none left, shame just had to get xmas over and was gonna buy one regardless then if not u to scratch was just gonna sell it on or hook it up in my parents to bring them into 2013....but sadly none of the 3 has been able to happen :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom