robbo100

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 5, 2009
    UK
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi all,

It has been a long while since I tried MP2, I mean probably more than 2 years ago when the first few releases came out.

I had a bit of time this weekend, so I thought I would have a a quick play... and I am really impressed. Things have come such a long way, and it seems like a very stable system.

Installation was easy (would have been easier if I had read the instructions and stopped the MP1 TV Service before running the installation).

Once up and running, simply scan for channels and set-up the TV tuning the same as I used to have it with MP1, then run the client and select the network directories and media types. Boom, it is all up and running as nicely as the MP1 setup with a whole host of plugins and a lot more faffing.

There are some inconsistencies in menu navigation, and it would clearly be great to have a few more skins to choose from, but it is so fast and easy to use.

Really great work guys! I think I might move across after a bit of testing on the client HTPC in the lounge...

Thanks for such a massive amount of work!

robbo100

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 5, 2009
    UK
    Home Country
    Just out of interest.

With MP1 TV Service, if I configure the system to record to my NAS, I have to run the TV Service under the username that has NAS permissions, rather than under "system".

If I want to do the same with TVE3.5, which service do I need to configure to run under the username?

Thanks

riggnix

Portal Pro
    September 8, 2009
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Just out of interest.

With MP1 TV Service, if I configure the system to record to my NAS, I have to run the TV Service under the username that has NAS permissions, rather than under "system".

If I want to do the same with TVE3.5, which service do I need to configure to run under the username?

Thanks

Just set it via MP2 Client -> Settings -> Server Settings -> Network Credentials. I hope I got the location right. Doing this by memory ;)
    That should do the trick. Someone correct me, if I'm wrong.

morpheus_xx

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Just set it via MP2 Client -> Settings -> Server Settings -> Network Credentials. I hope I got the location right. Doing this by memory ;)
    That should do the trick. Someone correct me, if I'm wrong.
    Yes, this should work to make the MP2 part (MediaLibrary, MetadataExtractors etc...) able to access the NAS shares.

But the problem will be the recording via TVEngine: it doesn't know about the advanced features of MP2 in this regard. IIRC there is no own setting to enter credentials for network access:
    I have to run the TV Service under the username that has NAS permissions, rather than under "system".

For MP2 you should run the MP2-Server as SYSTEM account, otherwise some feature might not work (i.e. impersonation, means to run processes under other user identities). You can try to configure another account, but should be aware to change this after every update.

Another hint for testing: you can stop the MP2-Server service and run it for testing purpose under your account interactive by command line:
    "C:\Program Files (x86)\Team MediaPortal\MP2-Server\MP2-Server.exe -c"

This way you can see if network access will work under your account in all cases. If it works, you may change the service account to your user.

robbo100

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 5, 2009
    UK
    Home Country
    Hi guys,

Thanks for the responses. I have just had a complete disaster few days, whereby I had what I thought was a hardware failure on my TV Server, so haven't been able to test it.

Really strange issue, related to the very subject I asked above actually - Recording to NAS.

It seems that when my NAS (D-Link Sharecenter 325) fills up to completely full, rather than being accessible it just grinds to a halt and makes the file manager of any windows PC trying to connect to that volume crash! I couldn't even see the c: on the server it threw such an error.

The problem is, I misdiagnoses this as a failure on the TV Server PC (as you would), and did a complete OS reinstall, only to have the same problem when I mapped drives to the NAS again! It has taken 3 days of fiddling before I finally realised the problem. I have deleted a few programmes and it is all working again!

So, that was the long version of "thanks for the answer, but I will probably have a fiddle in a few more days once I have got over my hatred for D-Link :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom