Wrong duration shown (1 Viewer)

blackburn_

Portal Member
July 22, 2006
Hi,

I have a problem with MP showing the wrong duration on certain tracks. However on the Now Playing screen the duration is correct.

I'm using the latest SVN 15602 under Vista, Bass Player and the database view (genres on the screenshots). The MP3s are standard 192kbs CBR and the ID3 tags all look ok.

Any ideas what can be causing this?

eagle

Portal Pro
September 25, 2004
Unterfranken
Home Country
Germany Germany
had the same problem last year. SteveV, who began to redevelope myMusic, said he would take care of it. I don't know whether he did it or not. I havn't had an eye for it. So I can't say that the issue is solved.

Is SteveV still around? Maybe he can remember what's states of affairs

eagle

hwahrmann

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • September 15, 2004
    Vienna, Austria
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    SteveV is no longer around and all his tasks have been taken over by me.
    i didn't recognize any problem so far.

blackburn_, could you save your MusicDatabase, the file in the database dir, and recreate the db by scanning your library again?
    please tell me if you still see the issue then

blackburn_

Portal Member
    July 22, 2006
    SteveV is no longer around and all his tasks have been taken over by me.
    i didn't recognize any problem so far.

blackburn_, could you save your MusicDatabase, the file in the database dir, and recreate the db by scanning your library again?
    please tell me if you still see the issue then

I deleted the databasefile and rescanned and it's the same. I have added a lot of albums after this one and still this metallica album is the only one showing wrong durations so it must be something with these particular mp3s.

I also noticed that on track 5 the duration shown is very close to 3x the correct duration and on track 7 it's very close to 4x if it's of any help. But on the other tracks with wrong duration shown I can't see a pattern like that.

If you want I can zip a few tracks from this album together and pm you a link.

Edit: I'll have to take it back that it was just one album affected. I now looked through all albums and I found another one with exactly the same problem, durations are shown more or less random. One track even show up as 1:44:41! But under now playing it's correctly shown as 4:21...

hwahrmann

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • September 15, 2004
    Vienna, Austria
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    could you please upload some of the files with wrong duration to some fileshare site and pm me the link?
    i'll have a look at it on Monday. i'll be out this weekend.

hwahrmann

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • September 15, 2004
    Vienna, Austria
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Had a quick look at your files.
    The problem is that the MPEG Header in those files doesn't start at a position that can be divided by 4.
    Due to the way how we search for the header, by always reading chunks of 4 bytes, we miss the first, correct header. Later on when we find, by accident, a valid header, we get the wrong bitrate and this causes a wrong duration shown.

Why does "Now Playing" show the duration correcty, because at that time we get the duration from the Music Player and this is reading it correctly.

i'll try fixing the reading issue, however this needs some testing, as i don't want to f*ck up the complete system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom