WTF! Sorry about that :) (1 Viewer)

A

Anonymous

Ok.. This software seems to be very nice BUT... I'm developer myself and I can't understund why this kind of software is given free to everyone?!?

I understand that opensource can be good thing but I also know that it can ruin whole software industry!

Anyway, I appreciate what you guys are doing but you must consider what consequenses your actions may cause.

Nice autumn to you and stuff.. :D

Frodo

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 22, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    hehe what is this ?

You complain that MediaPortal is open source ?
    You want to pay for it and not have it for free ?

Well 2 bad for you. Its opensource, free and its going 2 stay that way
    We're never gonna ask money for MediaPortal

And if it 'ruins' other commercial applications than i suppose those
    'other' commercial applications are not good enough!

[update]
    Maybe you work for SageTv,BeyondTv,Meedio,MCE,??? and now you're afraid of losing your job?

Frodo

A

Anonymous

just have a look at all the commercials - they all lack more ore less in features & compatibility.

So i think the questions is: Why can't the commercials develop a competitive software ??

Cheers
    Chris

A

Anonymous

Working for a HUGE software company I must say that there is nothing that is more important then open source. There are so many reasons why it is important to have a scene where people that do it out of passion participate. In many cases the open source scene creates and drives a business area to places scared companies would never go. It is a place where you can break and bend the rules to make something that matters... many things that you enjoy today and are willing to pay for has at some point started as something that you did not have to pay for.

The open source scene is about beeing hardcore passionate about what you do and no company will be able to beat that.

null_pointer

Portal Member
    May 13, 2004
    I understand that opensource can be good thing but I also know that it can ruin whole software industry!

Are you sure you dont work for MS :D

To say something like this shows you have no idea about what is
    required for a healthy prosperous software community (Commercial
    Closed and Open source together) to work function and grow.

I suppose you are in favour of :evil: software patents :evil: as well..

open source scene creates and drives a business area to places scared companies would never go.

I could not agree with you more, a lot of the time it is Open Source
    projects that are months if not years ahead in ideas concepts and
    features than their commercial equivalent.

A

Anonymous

Hmm if u care that much.. im sure they would accept a little donation so you don't feel bad................

A

Anonymous

I guess one could make the same argument for tapwater. Why should it be free when you can buy it for $1 a bottle and support your local water repackaging company...

Think about it. Who's the bad guy in this instance. The people who sell software that could be free or the guys that do something simply for the love of it?

SiLenTYL

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 23, 2004
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    deriox

I've been along for the ride with Frodo's great software for years now...he created XboxMediaCenter(another awesome open-source app). The possiblities are endless when dealing with open-source code.

As HangTime suggested, a donation is very welcome if u feel you are "stealing" MP.

We are always looking for more coders out there, as long as they respect the GPL......

tapwater is free? where the hell do u live Cybermynd? We in australia have a huge amount of water, but we still pay for it...but i do get your point about something for free when others pay for it

A

Anonymous

SiLenTYL - I guess it's not really FREE but it's sure less than $1 a litre! Otherwise I'd enjoy my daily shower a lot less!!! :)

I'd like to echo your kudos about XMBC as well. I've been using it for over a year and it's demonstrated the true power of the Xbox better than Dead or Alive ever did.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom