X300 X700 or X1300 (1 Viewer)

Tech Geek

Portal Pro
January 29, 2006
Denver, CO USA
nitro said:
but all the 128bit passively cooled x1300's are full height and i need half height
All the "Low Profile" cards on NewEgg.com are 64bit according to my search. Not even NVidia has something that fits. Sorry. But that's also why I chose a full height case. The smallest case I could have used had riser cards but I thought it would be too hot and it wouldn't hold enough tuner cards for me.

A motherboard with onboard video will have enough bandwidth but it's sort of an unknown as to whether that will be enough for HDTV. I'd go with socket 939 due to the higher buss speed and you'll be stuck with MicroATX.
My Jetway has sideport video RAM which helps keep the video from slowing the computer. It would be as good a choice as I've seen... outbenchmarks the onboard video from NVidia. It won't be as fast for 3D and you may not be able to use the more complex deinterlacing methods.

Tech Geek

Portal Pro
January 29, 2006
Denver, CO USA
Ok, in another hardware thread we were discussing onboard video and I said I wasn't sure about HDTV.

Well, ATi apperently slipped in an update to their chipset without informing me. (how dare they! ;) Anyway, it promises flawless HD playback. I posted the product announcement in the other thread.
https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/viewtopic.php?t=16754

BTW, there are already boards with the chipset showing up on Newegg.com so you should be able to do this with that case and Mediaportal as long as you buy the proper motherboard.

Without more info I can't be sure if the older version of the chipset will do HD or not but once I buy another HD tuner card I'll be sure to test it.
The 6150 and 6100 may also work but I think Socket 939 will be required though because of the high buss speed.

rtv

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 7, 2005
    Osnabruck
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Look at my sig ;-)

One RS480 and a 482 here, too.
    All are capable of HD-Playback.

With PowerDVD7 I even get below 50% cpu load..

From these boards I'd recommend the current GeForce 6150 without any objections - works fabulous!

Tech Geek

Portal Pro
    January 29, 2006
    Denver, CO USA
    rtv said:
    Look at my sig ;-)

One RS480 and a 482 here, too.
    All are capable of HD-Playback.

With PowerDVD7 I even get below 50% cpu load..

From these boards I'd recommend the current GeForce 6150 without any objections - works fabulous!
    Are your boards socket 754 or 939?
    Just wanna make sure.
    If a socket 754 with onboard graphics can do it that would be great.
    A heck of a lot cheaper than a graphics card that can support HDTV.

rtv

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 7, 2005
    Osnabruck
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    S939 - but even the A64 3200+ is around 75 EUR here ;-)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom