XBMC scraper and VIDEO_TS folders (2 Viewers)

BlueBomber

Portal Member
February 1, 2010
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Hey everybody. Just wondering if anybody has gotten the XBMC (Local) scraper script to play nice when using VIDEO_TS folders, as I seem to be struggling.

The scraper I am running is XBMC (Local), v1.0.3, published 5/30/2010.

I used the 'MP Artwork & Info Coppier' app to create XBMC compatible .nfo files for about 5 movies, all named movie.nfo. The .nfo files are placed in the parent movie folder. I then disabled the NFO scanner, and set XBMC (Local) as the ONLY scraper to check for movie details. I then try to run an import, and while all of my movies are detected, I get the little blue circle with an "i" indicating that it can't find any matches.

Here's the weird thing.

If I rename the movie.nfo file to VIDEO_TS.nfo, it will be detected and then auto approved. Unfortunately, the only data that is imported from the .nfo file is the 'Alternate Title' field and the IMDb ID, like so:

moviemanager.gif

Here is an exact copy of the movie.nfo file for 'A Serious Man', in case anybody notices anything right off the bat:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<movie>
<title>A Serious Man</title>
<sorttitle>serious man a</sorttitle>
<rating>7.2</rating>
<year>2009</year>
<plot>Bloomington, Minnesota, 1967: Jewish physics lecturer Larry Gopnik is a serious and a very put-upon man. His daughter is stealing from him to save up for a nose job,his pot-head son,who gets stoned at his own bar-mitzvah,only wants him round to fix the T.V. aerial and his useless brother Arthur is an unwelcome house guest. But both Arthur and Larry get turfed out into a motel when Larry's wife Judy,who wants a divorce, moves her lover,Sy, into the house and even after Sy's death in a car crash they are still there. With lawyers' bills mounting for his divorce, Arthur's criminal court appearances and a land feud with a neighbour Larry is tempted to take the bribe offered by a Korean student to give him an illegal exam pass mark. And the rabbis he visits for advice only dole out platitudes.Still God moves in mysterious - and not always pleasant - ways,as Larry and his family will find out.</plot>
<tagline> </tagline>
<runtime>106</runtime>
<mpaa>R</mpaa>
<language>English</language>
<id>tt1019452</id>
<genre>|Drama|</genre>
<director>|Ethan Coen|Joel Coen|</director>
<actor>
<name>Michael Stuhlbarg</name>
</actor>
<actor>
<name>Richard Kind</name>
</actor>
<actor>
<name>Fred Melamed</name>
</actor>
<actor>
<name>Sari Lennick</name>
</actor>
<actor>
<name>Aaron Wolff</name>
</actor>
<actor>
<name>Jessica McManus</name>
</actor>
<actor>
<name>Peter Breitmayer</name>
</actor>
<actor>
<name>Brent Braunschweig</name>
</actor>
<actor>
<name>David Kang</name>
</actor>
<actor>
<name>Benjy Portnoe</name>
</actor>
<writer>
<name>Joel Coen</name>
</writer>
<writer>
<name>Ethan Coen</name>
</writer>
</movie>
</movie>
Now, I am very confused as I don't know if the problem stems from the actual .NFO file, the XBMC scraper script, the fact that all of my movies are contained in a VIDEO_TS structure, or if it's something wonky with Moving Pictures.

Any help would be greatly appreciated - I would LOVE to be able to backup my customized movie information and re-import instantaneously if anything were to happen to the database!

THANKS!

EDIT:

WHOOOOAAA WHOA WHOA.

Just found the problem.

The 'MP Artwork & Info Coppier' app is adding an extra '</movie>' line at the end of the file, as can be seen in the example above. Removal of this line imports the data flawlessly - all .nfo files still have to be named VIDEO_TS.nfo for the scraper to recognize it as an XBMC NFO file.

Surprised that nobody else has brought this up - I wonder if this is a bug with VIDEO_TS structured movies?

ANYWAYS.

Looks like it was a problem with the actual NFO files I was trying to import.

LRFalk01

Portal Pro
August 27, 2007
Home Country
BlueBomber, would this be a path similar to what you are dealing with:

C:\Movies\October Sky (1999)\VIDEO_TS

If so, I have just modified the scraper to first look for the nfo file as it was previously, and if it is not found it will look a directory up. Let me explain.

It will first look for a VIDEO_TS.nfo file in the VIDEO_TS directory. It will then look for a October Sky (1999).nfo in the October Sky (1999) directory. This is attached. Please let me know how this works.

Removed attachment. look further down. ↓↓↓↓↓↓

BlueBomber

Portal Member
February 1, 2010
Home Country
Hi LRFalk.

Yeah, that's the folder structure I've been using. I'm pretty sure this doesn't matter, but my movie path doesn't have the C: drive as the root. Mine would be over a network share - \\NAS\Movies\October Sky (1999)\VIDEO_TS.

I tested the built in 1.03 XBMC script vs the newer 1.04 script you just provided.

In 1.03, the only way I could get it to read an NFO file was if it was named 'VIDEO_TS.nfo' in the movies parent directory. By parent directory, I mean the /October Sky (1999) folder from our example.

In 1.04, the NFO will be read if it is in the parent directory, and named either 'VIDEO_TS.nfo' or 'October Sky (1999).nfo'. It will NOT read the NFO at all if it is in the VIDEO_TS directory, regardless of what it is named. Just thought I'd mention this since you said it should check the VIDEO_TS directory for a VIDEO_TS.nfo file, and I could not get it to do this.

I'm totally fine with this - what I wanted to do was have an .nfo file named after the movie instead of VIDEO_TS.nfo, which I can now do with your new script! Thanks!

I'd be more than happy to test any new scripts for you if you want.

IN REGARDS TO THE MP ARTWORK & INFO COPIER APP.

Oddly, I cannot replicate the problem I was running into last night regarding the NFO file creation. Every NFO file is now being created appropriately - there is only one '</movie>' line at the end of every single file, which the scraper will read perfectly. Very odd. I'll do some more testing to see if I can reproduce what I was running into last night.

I did notice one bug in the app, where it will not generate an NFO file if there contains an ampersand (&) in the title of the movie ('Angels & Demons', 'Mr. & Mrs. Smith', etc.). I mentioned this in the apps thread, so hopefully someone will be able to fix that.

Thanks for everything!

LRFalk01

Portal Pro
August 27, 2007
Home Country
Sounds like an encoding issue. & is a special character in XML and would need to be escaped to &amp;. I am unfamiliar with app though, so just a guess.

BlueBomber

Portal Member
February 1, 2010
Home Country
I've done a couple of imports, testing things here and there. Everything is working beautifully, except for one thing - the one field that I can't seem to carry over properly is the SortTitle field - it automatically overwrites this field with whatever the title of the movie is.

Example: If i import 'Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade', which contains 'indiana jones 3' as the sort field in the NFO file, it will change the sort field to 'Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade'.

If I customize other fields, such as the rating, genre or the movie title, those will import as expected.

Any ideas?

LRFalk01

Portal Pro
August 27, 2007
Home Country
Currently the xbmc scraper does not set the sortby field. I see that it is a valid node for xbmc nfo files. I'll experiment with adding this functionality.

Well. That was easy. Let me know how the attached works.

Attachments

• xbmc.xml
    5.4 KB

BlueBomber

Portal Member
February 1, 2010
Home Country
Damn you are quick.

That worked perfectly. I think the XBMC scraper is pretty much flawless now (well, as far as I can tell anyways :))

Thanks for all your hard work! I appreciate it!

In case anybody is wondering about the extra </movie> tag issue I was running into before, I can now replicate it. It only happens when the 'Overwrite existing file of the same name' option is UNCHECKED. You would think that this would completely ignore the file, but it appends an extra </movie> to the very end of the file every time I run the program. But, this isn't the thread for that - I'll mention it in the apps official thread.

Klez

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 20, 2010
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    This Scraper Version still has a "bug".
    It doesn't watch für NFO Files in the VIDEO_TS Folder.
    As i understand this thread it should, but it doesn't...

The same problem exists with the ember media manager scraper script.

And a question: from where does the ember media manager scraper file gets the cover- and fanart?

lobozen

Portal Pro
    July 3, 2008
    AW: XBMC scraper and VIDEO_TS folders

BlueBomber,

YOU MADE MY DAY!
    This is the solution I was surching for hours and hours and hours. :D

There are still a few questions left:

1. Everything works fine with DVD full rips now.
    But what do I have to do if I want the same 'MP Artwork & Info Coppier'-thing with my .avi or .mkv files? they all are - as the DVD rips - in parent folders but the video_ts.nfo won't work there.

2. Does anyone know how to import covers and fanart (named 'folder.jpg' and 'backdrop.jpg', created by 'MP Artwork...' as well) which are in the movie's parent folders too instead of searching the net?

Best wishes from Thailand :)

Edit:
    My first question is solved. The .nfo file for .avi or '.mkv must have the name of the parent folder.

dacore944

Portal Member
    June 12, 2007
    I just tested the xbmc scraper too and found out that it ignores the movie.nfo completely.
    Should this not be added to the scraper, i mean it is logical that it should read the movie.nfo too.
    The scraper did read the nfo when i renamed it to the same name as the movie. And not to the parent folder name.
    I had exported everthing to movie.nfo and now i can't read everything back in :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom