XBMC with MediaPortal LiveTV backend and HD-PVR - working config (1 Viewer)

CanadianEh

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 21, 2011
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Good afternoon,

Over the past few months, I've been trying to get XBMC to work as a client PC for rooms where very little TV is watched and I don't need the full functionality of the MediaPortal client (ie: the bedroom, and my office). The biggest hurdle has been stuttering video and/or major audio delay (primarily H.264 recordings from the HD-PVR) on XBMC clients, while the MediaPortal client would work just fine.

Anyway, I wanted to document this, for anyone else that may run into this in the future. Key things:

Client PC: - OpenElec Gotham beta build
    - Tried using on-board Intel HD 3000 graphics - TERRIBLE deinterlacing of video
    - Upgraded to an Nvidia Geforce GT 610 - deinterlacing issues resolved

MediaPortal server:
    - Upgraded HD-PVR drivers to 1.7.300.59.1 - no more lip sync / audio issues in XBMC on H.264 content (so far)

There appears to be a bug in the 1.7.300.59.1 HD-PVR drivers, where the brightness is too bright on one capture device, so I still have to look into that, but so far, this is looking like a working config.

Additionally, my Macbook Pro (OSX Mavericks) is now able to run XBMC and stream these channels as well, without lip sync issues.

The HD-PVR drivers were key here (along with dumping the Intel graphics on the client, which don't seem to be that well supported in Linux/Openelec).

Hopefully this information will be useful for others with HD-PVR's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom