XBMC (2 Viewers)

landes

Portal Member
January 19, 2009
München
Home Country
Germany Germany
Meanwhile I tried all kinds and combinations of media software and applications. This includes
- DVBViewer (I paid for)
- Terratec HomeCinema (paid for with my DVD USB receiver)
- Windows Vista MCE (paid for with Vista)
- Media Portal (great freeware)
- XBMC -> X-Box media Center (great and free, for all OP systems)

By far the fastest and most stable is XBMC. I had difficulties with all other applications from freezing screen to blue screen Windows hang-ups. My feeling is conflict of codes, but this is only intuitiv feeling. I run the XBMC without interface to the DVB-TV card, I use Terratec's own app for watching /recording PC-TV.
XBMC has also scipt function which provides some cool applications and downloads of videos and TV shows and other streams.

I am sorry to say but I ceased to use Madia Portal, althought I must say it was my number 1 choice until I came accross XBMC.
:D

naich

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 6, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi landes,

extraordinary first post ... I am a little bit surprised ...

I ceased to use Madia Portal
    ... and no question in the forum for help if you have problems!?

btw ... You're right, XBMC is a really good choice and a great app .... I only miss the TV Part.

cu

landes

Portal Member
    January 19, 2009
    München
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    At no time I wanted to criticize Media Portal. As I said, it is also fantastic but did not work on my machine. To look for help in a forum does not really work. I read through hundreds of other threads seeking for similar problems/solutions. The help can be anything from cryptic advise to misleading information. This made me look for alternatives and I was happy to find a stable and simple solution with XBMC. As you said, it's a petty there's no TV section, on the other hand this maybe exactly the reason for being such a stable application.

Everybody may use what he likes and finds most suitable, I found XBMC to be best for me. I also got rid of Terratec Homecinema (for my Terratec Cinergy card) and bought DVBViewer as TV application, but do not use the picture viewer/music player/video part. This remains to be played via XBMC. Actually the DVBViewer is only used to record TV, my LCD TV has a built-in DVB receiver for the daily watching of all the commercials and SAT1/RTL reality crap.

It’s a real petty that MP is causing problems, maybe it just has to many options and possibilities. One day it will be better; I will keep trying.

Best regards
    Horst

pilehave

Community Skin Designer
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 2, 2008
    Hornslet
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    I wouldn't want the wife to have to deal with two completely different applications for watchin recorded tv and watching video. She (and I) would go crazy. One software to rule them all. That's why the XBMC guys are planning an interface for TV. Couldn't live without it, and certainly not with ugly DVBViewer (yes, I bought it too).

hoborg

Portal Pro
    June 13, 2008
    Nový Jičín
    Home Country
    Czech Republic Czech Republic
    I wouldn't want the wife to have to deal with two completely different applications for watchin recorded tv and watching video. She (and I) would go crazy. One software to rule them all. That's why the XBMC guys are planning an interface for TV. Couldn't live without it, and certainly not with ugly DVBViewer (yes, I bought it too).

It depends how you setup it. It is realy easy to setup recordings in GB-PVR and you can watch them in XBMC.
    Switch GB-PVR ->XBMC two remote buttons click.

geov

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 1, 2006
    Cape Town
    Home Country
    South Africa South Africa

It depends how you setup it. It is realy easy to setup recordings in GB-PVR and you can watch them in XBMC.

Can you point me to a HOW-TO do this configuration? Also in what language is this HOBRing - HTPC, I would like to use google-translate so that I can read it

hoborg

Portal Pro
    June 13, 2008
    Nový Jičín
    Home Country
    Czech Republic Czech Republic

Can you point me to a HOW-TO do this configuration? Also in what language is this HOBRing - HTPC, I would like to use google-translate so that I can read it

I think it highly depend of your remote controler software, if it have app launcher, ability to map buttons, atc.
    I also created my own "exe" launchers, wich kill GB-PVR or XBMC and start desired application - my wife often tryed to launch GB-PVR over already running GB-PVR. That is now not possible, launger kill running GB-PVR (recordings normaly continue, thanks to background service) and run it again, same with XBMC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom