XBMC (1 Viewer)

misterbbq

October 6, 2007
are you guys running xbmc on windows xp? i run it on my 1st generation xbox and love it. but it won't play hd formats due to limited cpu/ram/video, etc. i tried xbmc on linux and had a fair amount of issues doing pretty much everthing (some dvds gave me issue). is xbmc on windows much better? again....i love xbmc on my xbox....if it would work as well on windows i'd be sold.

hoborg

Portal Pro
June 13, 2008
Nový Jičín
Home Country
Czech Republic Czech Republic
are you guys running xbmc on windows xp? i run it on my 1st generation xbox and love it. but it won't play hd formats due to limited cpu/ram/video, etc. i tried xbmc on linux and had a fair amount of issues doing pretty much everthing (some dvds gave me issue). is xbmc on windows much better? again....i love xbmc on my xbox....if it would work as well on windows i'd be sold.

Of course it runs on XP, i doubt it is possible to completly disable microsoft GUI on Vista/Win7.
No problems to ply DVDs and FullHD, but you need ~3GHz CPU to play FullHD without frame droping - there is DirectX branch developing, but author is now in jail...

pilehave

Community Skin Designer
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 2, 2008
    Hornslet
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    While I'm really impressed with the speed and response of the interface, the skinning engine is really speedy and more flexible than the one in MediaPortal, a quick test out of the box gives me the following problems:

- Won't play EAC3 audio correctly, I get surround-channels in one ear and right channel in the other. Maybe this is a question of tweaking mixer in Windows or something, but MediaPortal plays it fine?
    - Won't play a 1080i MP4 file
    - No video, only audio on a sample file from Fifth Element 1080i with DTS and AC3 tracks
    - My screen-driver (ATi) locked up when I exited XBMC. This can be avoided by turning of one of my two monitors (multidisplay), but is really uncool as I had to reboot to recover.
    - The Terminator 2 WMV (720p) has sync and speed problems

In MediaPortal I can choose other codecs. What can I do in XBMC? Not much...

I think MP is more forgiving on what formats you throw at it, but means more tweaking.

Spragleknas

• Team MediaPortal
  • December 21, 2005
    Located
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Yeah! More tweeks for geeks :D

Actually, I think it is rather easy to achieve good codec setup, using SAF :)thx:) and 1.1 (well, I have only used 1.02 + MPC sub engine, but that's what important)

Ticiano

Portal Pro
    August 16, 2009
    Home Country
    Brazil Brazil
    The fast and light interface of the Xbox Media Center with the DX10 acelerated codecs we have with Media Portal... this would be really great... at this moment we have to choose between one and another and I stick with mediaportal... The interface is heavy as hell, but I can play any FullHD tittle with less than 10% of my CPU...

vinch100

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 21, 2006
    Home Country
    Switzerland Switzerland
    I built an XBMC HTPC with built-in tv support using the MythBox script (MythTV frontend) and it was working quite well.

One of the most negative point was that I really don't like the way they manage their media Library (Adding Sources is ever an incredible challenge even more when you try to remove) and the plugins : You cannot easily add plugins to the main menu, and I never figured out why they have two type of plugins (Scripts/Plugins).

MediaPortal is a lot more flexible on all parts, but that's true that it is maybe more geek oriented :)

Dannydeman

Portal Pro
    May 5, 2008
    The main reason I don't use XBMC is the lack of codecs. FFMPEG will most likely never support DXVA, let alone subtitle support with DXVA. So for video watching, it just sucks. Yes, you can use a external player, but that has it's downsides as well. MPC-HC, the only player that has DXVA+subtitles, is not good with skipping in a movie and stuff like that, and it feels a bit cheap when using a external player..

The positive points about XBMC is that it looks extremely nice with the right skin, it's very stable and polished. Mediaportal is getting along though, with all the .NET updates and the latest version Mediaportal seems almost as fast as XBMC. StreamedMP for example looks awesome, although a skin like Aeon will be miles away.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom