XBMC (1 Viewer)

Ticiano

Portal Pro
August 16, 2009
Home Country
Brazil Brazil
I would like to see XBMC using hardware aceleration and being apple to play bluray under Linux, by that XBMC Live version, more than a DirectX port...

TE5LA

Portal Pro
September 16, 2009
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I stopped using XBMC; Had tried the Live version (Linux) as well as the Windows version and finally gave up. It wouldn't play more than half of my videos unless I recoded them to another format. their forums were not helpful with any solutions. Even when it played a video, it was very choppy and the audio was out of sync. Oddly, this often cleared up somewhat after restarting the video. But having to stop and restart movies every time didn't appeal to me. I think it is because XBMC uses its own CODECS instead of the Windows library.

I did like the interface, but still feel MediaPortal is better. I also like the fact that I never have to manually download artwork and info for movies. Just put the video file on my drive and it magically appears. In XBMC I had to manually search every movie individually and then select from a list of possible choices and sometimes there were none. It also tended to download the wrong artwork. Perhaps some of these issues could have been ironed out, but I didn't need to do anything with MediaPortal.

I'm not trashing XBMC. I know MP was built from it. I think certain media center software will just work better for different people. Vista Media Center, for instance, seemed to play videos better than any I've tried yet, but the interface and the library just bit.

hoborg

Portal Pro
June 13, 2008
Nový Jičín
Home Country
Czech Republic Czech Republic
I stopped using XBMC; Had tried the Live version (Linux) as well as the Windows version and finally gave up. It wouldn't play more than half of my videos unless I recoded them to another format. their forums were not helpful with any solutions. Even when it played a video, it was very choppy and the audio was out of sync. Oddly, this often cleared up somewhat after restarting the video. But having to stop and restart movies every time didn't appeal to me. I think it is because XBMC uses its own CODECS instead of the Windows library.

I did like the interface, but still feel MediaPortal is better. I also like the fact that I never have to manually download artwork and info for movies. Just put the video file on my drive and it magically appears. In XBMC I had to manually search every movie individually and then select from a list of possible choices and sometimes there were none. It also tended to download the wrong artwork. Perhaps some of these issues could have been ironed out, but I didn't need to do anything with MediaPortal.

I'm not trashing XBMC. I know MP was built from it. I think certain media center software will just work better for different people. Vista Media Center, for instance, seemed to play videos better than any I've tried yet, but the interface and the library just bit.

Can you please post sample of such video? XBMC is using the same decoders as FFDshow (FFMpeg).

TE5LA

Portal Pro
September 16, 2009
Home Country
Can you please post sample of such video? XBMC is using the same decoders as FFDshow (FFMpeg).
Not really, as I don't have XBMC installed any longer. I can assure you though, that I ran it both under Linux and Windows and got the same problems. With other software on the same system, I didn't. I also used ffdshow with the other centers where I could select them and videos played fine. And like I said, XBMC refused to even play most of the same videos and would show a CODEC error. These were brand-new OS installs in every case.

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005

Also rendering code can have a huge difference on juddering. Also different applications behave pretty differently when fps and Hz is not a match.

hoborg

Portal Pro
    June 13, 2008
    Nový Jičín
    Home Country
    Czech Republic Czech Republic
    Not really, as I don't have XBMC installed any longer. I can assure you though, that I ran it both under Linux and Windows and got the same problems. With other software on the same system, I didn't. I also used ffdshow with the other centers where I could select them and videos played fine. And like I said, XBMC refused to even play most of the same videos and would show a CODEC error. These were brand-new OS installs in every case.

Wierd, i am using it without any problem ~1 year now on XP, works like a charm :) Only video that XBMC cannot play for me is sample using VP7 encoding (it is not supported becouse some licence issues, ewen FFDshow didnt support it). But XBMC need powerfull CPU (~3GHz) for HD video.

gig

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 24, 2006
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Wierd, i am using it without any problem ~1 year now on XP, works like a charm :)

Same over here. Using on daily basis and no problems at all.

But XBMC need powerfull CPU (~3GHz) for HD video.

Not under linux though.

Im running XBMC on Acer REVO3600 (ION, Atom 230 (1.6Ghz)) and with help of VDPAU XBMC can play smoothly all HD videos even with subs which unfortunately MP cant handle on that platform.

TE5LA

Portal Pro
    September 16, 2009
    Home Country
    Wierd, i am using it without any problem ~1 year now on XP, works like a charm :) Only video that XBMC cannot play for me is sample using VP7 encoding (it is not supported becouse some licence issues, ewen FFDshow didnt support it). But XBMC need powerfull CPU (~3GHz) for HD video.
    I'm running an AMD Athlon X2 6000+ Dual-Core cpu on a Gigabyte mobo with ATI 4200HD video and 4GB RAM. Before I bought this, I was testing on an Athlon XP 2600 and a GeForce 7800 GSOC and it ran HD 1080p fine, but not with XBMC. Even regular 480 vids stuttered and as I said, were better the second time I started them.

Again, I'd like to say I'm only publishing my own experience and not knocking XBMC. I think everyone should try many programs, since most are free, and see what works best for them.

As far as the codecs in XBMC, I read somewhere that they were "based" on the ffdshow codec and not exactly the same. Still, I think it would be much better if they allowed selecting your own codecs.

Ticiano

Portal Pro
    August 16, 2009
    Home Country
    Brazil Brazil
    gig, I'm making some tests here with a Phenon X3 in an Asus A3N78-VM. I just selected NVPAU and the 1080p h264 mkvs are playing light and smoothly... I'm just facing two problems:

1 - my philips srm 5100 dont work

2 - when I try to make audio passthru from my mkv files with ac3 or dts to the receiver the system can't start audio device... no audio...

Do you have any idea about this problems?

gig

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 24, 2006
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I have the same remote and it works out-of-the-box . If you installed XBMC on clean system make sure you install lirc and the lircd is running.

regarding the audio issue I suggest you wait for the answer at the xbmc forum. it might be your platform specific driver issue.

On my ION im passing audio over HDMI. the only thing I did was to set the output device from default to hdmi in XBMC audio config.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom