XBMC (1 Viewer)

carmenm

Portal Pro
April 15, 2008
Home Country
France France
The one thing i dont like about XBMC is the render. If i take a 720p movie, it is a lot sharpened in MP. The reason for that is that i use NVIDIA sharpen settings which work under MP but not under XBMC.
I wonder if it would work with the dx version...

Ticiano

Portal Pro
August 16, 2009
Home Country
Brazil Brazil
thank tou gig!

I'm a big newbie in this XBMC stuff... I don't even know how to open a terminal to install lirc or run lircd...

:)

I'm having a hard time with that system... I can't even find a way to a command terminal... I saw a post in the foruns saying to try CTR ALT F1, but it doesn't work for me... :confused:

Ticiano

Portal Pro
August 16, 2009
Home Country
Brazil Brazil
The one thing i dont like about XBMC is the render. If i take a 720p movie, it is a lot sharpened in MP. The reason for that is that i use NVIDIA sharpen settings which work under MP but not under XBMC.

carmenm, the image quality with the Live version is great... but the system is hard to set up if you're not lucky with your hardware drivers and settings... "plug and pray"

Ticiano

Portal Pro
August 16, 2009
Home Country
Brazil Brazil
gig, that foruns seams to be useless... I'm seeing the only way to get that system to work is having luck with the "plug and pray" thing or being a linux expert... I'm testing the terminal via ssh and trying some tips I find by my self, but nothing usefull til now.

carmenm

Portal Pro
April 15, 2008
Home Country
France France
carmenm, the image quality with the Live version is great... but the system is hard to set up if you're not lucky with your hardware drivers and settings... "plug and pray"
What do you mean with the "live" version ?
And saying the image is great is not enough for me :p I need to compare it with what i can get with MPC ;)

gig

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 24, 2006
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    using the XBMC-Live, everything schould work out of the box.

Ctrl-Alt+[F1,F2,F3 ...], schould take to the terminal. If for some reason it was disabled in the Live version of XBMC. You can ssh to the box.

Code:
    ps axu | grep lirc

schould show you whether lirc is running. (on XBMC-Live I belive it is present)

if not

Code:
    /etc/init.d/lircd start

will start the lircd for you.

If for some reason it was not installed:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install lirc
    will install the lirc for you

in order to check whether the signals from your remote are recognized run
    Code:
    irw
    and press some button on the remote. you schould see some output.

Ctrl + c will end the irw process.

If you willing to stay with XBMC on linux. i suggest you have a look at XBMC wiki, there are few articles explaining installation on linux and few troubleshooting tips.

in "XBMC Tips, Tricks, and HOW-TO (Step-by-Step Guides) " you find plenty of Linux tutorials with tips regarding ALSA (linux sound system)

I dont think that the XBMC forum is useless, it contain lots of information, I believe it contains everything you need in order to set up your box.

One more thing. A Philips USB IR recive, which I have been using on linux for quite while stopped working after I installed Vista and used the receiver in conjunction with MP.
    It stopped working under linux (Ubuntu 9.04), but was still working on my Ubuntu 8.10 installation.

I got it work on 9.04 using older Lirc.

good luck!

Ticiano

Portal Pro
    August 16, 2009
    Home Country
    Brazil Brazil
    Thank you very much! I'll try this tips here!

000000037ff07be1 00 Up mceusb

hmmmm it's alive! :) now let's try to get it working...

2BitSculptor

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 23, 2008
    South Central Wisconsin
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Just noticed on the XBMC site an announcement that XBMC will have a DVR that will interface with an MP-TVServer backend (and others).

I don't know much else, I just glanced at it, sorry.

Chuck

Dadeo

Docs Group Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 26, 2006
    Himalayas, India
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Yeah, XBMC don't say much about that DVR Chuck! From XBMC.org February 6th, 2010:
    PVR Frontend: Probably the most requested feature for XBMC. This will provide a unified experience to your choice of PVR backends such as: VDR, MythTV, Tvheadend, and MediaPortal TVserver.

Dr Tone

Portal Pro
    October 29, 2008
    Calgary, AB
    Home Country
    Canada Canada

Well they are adding DXVA support and from initial reports the result are much sharper.

They'll have to get it rock stable and get 7.1 audio working before I even consider it. I do like the speed of XBMC for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom