XBMC (1 Viewer)

LeJimster

Portal Member
September 5, 2009
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I must admit after seeing folks using xmbc on youtube and becoming frustrated with bugs in MediaPortal I was considering switching to xmbc with a seperate app for recording tv, possibly mythtv. So I gave it a try and it's by far more polished in the UI department, even though there is more visual effects going on, it's slick and fast. I was just about to really considering switching over, that was until I saw the memory usage. 1.6GB! and thats from a plain vanilla installation of xmbc. As I only have 2GB installed in my HTPC.. that's just way too much. It possibly explained why things felt smoother however, since they probably load just about everything into memory.

So I'm sticking with MediaPortal and I will pray for all the annoying bugs to die and go to bug heaven/hell (wherever they may belong! ;))

chrut

Portal Pro
March 2, 2008
I have the same remote and it works out-of-the-box . If you installed XBMC on clean system make sure you install lirc and the lircd is running.

I have Vista x64 and SRM5100, how do I get the remote to work? I'm a noob so can u give me some details? Thanks.

marv

Portal Member
February 16, 2009
Home Country
Austria Austria
LeJimster: XBMC was originally written for the XBOX with 64MB RAM. XBMC doesn't require much memory, maybe you misread something?! did u enable debug mode (where u can see the memory usage? - it displays the FREEmem, not the mem its using. i guess 1.6gig are still free?!

dorramide7

October 20, 2010
Home Country
I build HTPC on XBMC+GB-PVR (for TV support) combination. Stable, fast, nice.

I wouldn't want the wife to have to deal with two completely different applications for watchin recorded tv and watching video. She (and I) would go crazy. One software to rule them all. That's why the XBMC guys are planning an interface for TV. Couldn't live without it, and certainly not with ugly DVBViewer (yes, I bought it too).

hoborg

Portal Pro
June 13, 2008
Nový Jičín
Home Country
Czech Republic Czech Republic
I build HTPC on XBMC+GB-PVR (for TV support) combination. Stable, fast, nice.

I wouldn't want the wife to have to deal with two completely different applications for watchin recorded tv and watching video. She (and I) would go crazy. One software to rule them all. That's why the XBMC guys are planning an interface for TV. Couldn't live without it, and certainly not with ugly DVBViewer (yes, I bought it too).

He,he,my wife is able to handle it, it is preaty easy. I play most of files in GB-PVR, XBMC is used only minimal.

DieBagger

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 11, 2007
    Austria
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    So I'm sticking with MediaPortal and I will pray for all the annoying bugs to die and go to bug heaven/hell (wherever they may belong! ;))

The proper way to kill them bugs (and send them into coding-hell) is to create good bugreports and bug (no pun intended) developers until they fix it... ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom