XP or Vista? (1 Viewer)

alexeix

Portal Pro
January 28, 2005
UK
Hi,

I have a Shuttle SFF PC with AMD Athlon 3200 and 1GB DDR RAM and want to set up a Media Portal server - I'm thinking of getting an Asus Eee Box to use as a client.

Any advice on which OS to go for on the server? I have retail copies of XP and Vista, so could go for either.

Any good/bad experiences with either?

I want to set the server up to Wake-on-LAN, so it can standby when not in use.

Thanks.

revs

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 1, 2007
    The Sauce of Worcester
    Home Country
    Wales Wales
    I say XP. XP needs less RAM, and is generally less hassle IMO.

I'm buing a copy of Windows for a HTPC soon, and i'll just be getting XP Home - cant see any reason why it wont suffice?

Bussiebaer

Portal Pro
    January 11, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I use Vista 32. Works very stable for me. I use S4 Hibernation when not in use, and wake on lan if I want to access it via Webinterface to schedule new records. The only issue I have is sometimes a black screen after hibernation, but that seems a issue of my ATI-Card, and not the OS.

Edit: Client runs on the same machine here.

asd7000

Portal Pro
    May 17, 2008
    I would say take XP if you´re only using the TV-Server. Needs less Ram and acts faster on your machine . But if you want to use it later as client too, use Vista! Or give that machine a second GB of Ram and start using it as server in Vista. Vista needs much Ram. When you have much Ram Vista acts faster than XP! I have run both OS but for the Server there was no difference!

geov

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 1, 2006
    Cape Town
    Home Country
    South Africa South Africa
    I'm using Vista at the moment but I'll say XP is more stable and easy to set up than Vista....

asd7000

Portal Pro
    May 17, 2008
    Vista is better for setting up! Insert DVD. Boot it, enter Serial and wait whats difficult there? And even includes most of the drivers!

hoborg

Portal Pro
    June 13, 2008
    Nový Jičín
    Home Country
    Czech Republic Czech Republic
    XP SP3. I tryed Vista 64 SP1, 32 ultimate and ended on XP SP3. Working perfectly for me. Vista takes ~90seconds to boot and load MP, XP BOOT in 24seconds now :).

revs

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 1, 2007
    The Sauce of Worcester
    Home Country
    Wales Wales
    I just went for XP Home SP3.

I didnt need anything in XP Pro. It was 50% cheaper. And I know it works with everything I have. MediaPortal runs 24/7 in the foreground, so the OS just needs to be lightweight and invisible to the user. I would only have gone with Vista if there were considerable Audio/Video or driver improvements.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom